Transportation from Venice airport to pier

Welland

Our experience with most transfers (including Venice) is that cruise lines transfers cost more money (then doing it on your own) and often involve a lot of waiting around at the airport until the tour company can fill a bus/vehicle.

With a 9 am arrival it is unlikely you would be able to get on your ship. So even if you get a fast transfer to the port you will be sitting around (for hours) in an ugly room waiting for boarding to begin (usually around noon).

The last time we got on a cruise directly from the airport we arrives about 8:30. Knowing it was much to early to the port we simply took the inexpensive ATVO bus to the Piazale Roma where we rolled our luggage over to a nearby restaurant/café and enjoyed a nice slow breakfast and lots of cappuccino. Then around 11am, we walked over to the nearby People Mover Station, paid our 1 Euro (there has been a slight price increase) and rode over to the port (about a 3 min ride). At the port we were able to roll our luggage over to the terminal building, drop our checked luggage, and quickly board the ship. The two places we would least enjoy spending any waiting time is at the ugly airport or just as ugly port terminal.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Our experience with most transfers (including Venice) is that cruise lines transfers cost more money (then doing it on your own)

NCL charge only £9.00 per person each way on the UK site. I don't think you will find any other transfer cheaper.:)

NCL charge only £9.00 per person each way on the UK site. I don't think you will find any other transfer cheaper.:)

I think the ATVO bus is 8€ and goes every 20 minutes, would not consider waiting around til 2 PM for any amount of 'savings'!!

Edited by CathyCruises

Yes the bus is cheaper going to Piazzale Roma. Then of course you have to drag your baggage to the People Mover or look for a taxi for the last bit to the ship. The cruise transfers take you straight there. Yes, you may have to wait a little until they collect enough passengers at the Marco Polo to get the coach as full as possible.

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I had to use our TA to make the transfer booking. I didn't notice the time of the transfer we would be getting until I received the Celebrity confirmation. I used their transfer because I didn't want to be straddled with baggage. I'll confirm with Celebrity on the time. If it's still 2pm, I'll then give our plans a little more thought.

Was just thinking. I wonder if we could put our baggage on the transfer bus, take a taxi to the city, and then meet the ship later. Not sure if my dh would agree to that one!! lol

For security reasons, I would very much doubt any organisation to allow luggage to travel seperately from the passengers.

Was just thinking. I wonder if we could put our baggage on the transfer bus, take a taxi to the city, and then meet the ship later. Not sure if my dh would agree to that one!! lol

Check with your TA .... that service is available in Vancouver and Seattle from pier to airport. I think in Seattle it's cruiseline specific, and in Vanc the service is provided by a vendor.

Called Priority Baggage, maybe?

5 hrs is too long to wait at an airport. Especially when Venice is only 2o minutes away.

I'd collect the luggage, catch the ATVO express bus to Piazzale Roma, check my luggage at the Left Luggage facility, then walk 2 blocks to the Grand Canal.

From there you can catch a vaporeto, or, you can just wander around for a couple of hours. (We crossed the Canal, and walked a block to the train station where we found a 'loading dock' type of place, so we sat in the sun for an hour and watched all the boat traffic on the Canal. It was fascinating to watch their 'boat' version of our land transportation ... police boats, ambulance, mail delivery, garbage pickup, a wedding, etc.) When it's time to board the ship, collect your luggage and take the people mover to the pier, or, if you have overpacked, take a cab to the pier.

Yes the bus is cheaper going to Piazzale Roma. Then of course you have to drag your baggage to the People Mover or look for a taxi for the last bit to the ship. The cruise transfers take you straight there. Yes, you may have to wait a little until they collect enough passengers at the Marco Polo to get the coach as full as possible.

I would hardly call five hours 'a little wait'! Cannot even imagine doing that with the wonders of Venice so nearby. But to each his own. . .i guess. . .

I would hardly call five hours 'a little wait'! Cannot even imagine doing that with the wonders of Venice so nearby. But to each his own. . .i guess. . .

I do query the fact that Doublin9 is correct in his/her times for the transfer. !!:confused:

Have the flight arrival times been given accurately to Celebrity ? By the way, for them to charge $34 per person each way does seem a rip off.

I think you are right, ewoodspark. I'm looking now at a confirmation that doesn't give a time for transfer, just a timeframe for embarking between 11:30 - 3:00. Sometimes the confirmations do not have all the information on them when they are first drawn up. I'll double check with Celebrity next week. My statement also show $34 per person for a transfer. I only asked for one way as we are staying in Venice post cruise.