dining on Paul Gaugin

travellgirl

Well, I think we are getting closer to booking the Paul Gaugin for May. What the seating options in the dining room? I had read there was open seating. Does that mean anytime and they seat you with who they want? Can you get a table for two? Is there a fee for the the alternate restaurants?

I'm sure I will be asking many questions in the coming months as this is our first cruise on RSSC.

Thanks in advance for everyones' help.

One of the great benefits of Radisson cruises is you can dine when you wish and with whom you wish. Table for 2, 4, 6 or 8. You name it. You need a reservation to dine in the alternative restaurants. But that's it. Unfortunately, Radisson has announced a new class system in place with respect to alternative restaurants. Passengers who have lots of days logged in cruising with Radisson now have "priority status" with respect to reservations. We HATE this new policy. We have 37 days logged in and will have 54 days by the end of this year and we don't qualify. And we wouldn't welcome this sort of class system if we had 500 days logged in on Radisson.

When the PG began service, the "fine dining" experience on board was apparently superb. In my opinion, it has fallen on hard times due to budget cuts, particularly those insisted upon by the ships new owners (Radisson operates the ship but doesn't own it.) We sailed B2B 7-day cruises beginning 5/21/05. All of the repeat PG passengers we talked to opined the quality of the food had declined. In my opinion, the food quality was generally poor, not even close to the fine dining we have enjoyed on Radisson's Voyager. The lunch buffet was a feed-em-as-quickly-and-cheaply-as-you-can operation equivalent to what you would find in any $9.95 All_You_Can_Eat buffet anywhere in America. The evening fare was very inconsistent.

There are many things to recommend the PG cruise. The staff is still excellent. The cabins are very nice. The motu experience is truly memorable. But if "fine dining" is important to you, in my opinion you will be disappointed with the current PG.

Patrick

When you enter the restaurant, the maitre de will ask you what kind of table you want - if you want a table for two, it will be provided - usually, with little or no wait. If you'd rather meet others while dining, ask to sit with others, and you will be seated at a table for 8 or ten, with others. It's great fun, and the people you meet the first night will be friends for the rest of the cruise. At the specialty restaurants, they don't usually have a shared table.

David

One of the great benefits of Radisson cruises is you can dine when you wish and with whom you wish. Table for 2, 4, 6 or 8. You name it. You need a reservation to dine in the alternative restaurants. But that's it. Unfortunately, Radisson has announced a new class system in place with respect to alternative restaurants. Passengers who have lots of days logged in cruising with Radisson now have "priority status" with respect to reservations. We HATE this new policy. We have 37 days logged in and will have 54 days by the end of this year and we don't qualify. And we wouldn't welcome this sort of class system if we had 500 days logged in on Radisson.

When the PG began service, the "fine dining" experience on board was apparently superb. In my opinion, it has fallen on hard times due to budget cuts, particularly those insisted upon by the ships new owners (Radisson operates the ship but doesn't own it.) We sailed B2B 7-day cruises beginning 5/21/05. All of the repeat PG passengers we talked to opined the quality of the food had declined. In my opinion, the food quality was generally poor, not even close to the fine dining we have enjoyed on Radisson's Voyager. The lunch buffet was a feed-em-as-quickly-and-cheaply-as-you-can operation equivalent to what you would find in any $9.95 All_You_Can_Eat buffet anywhere in America. The evening fare was very inconsistent.

There are many things to recommend the PG cruise. The staff is still excellent. The cabins are very nice. The motu experience is truly memorable. But if "fine dining" is important to you, in my opinion you will be disappointed with the current PG.

Patrick

Anyone agree? We love fine dining.

Not agree...

We went on PG July '05 for 10days. Yes, it is not French Laundry every day, but buffet is buffet. I can honestly said PG had way better buffet than RCCL & QE2. But if you are comparing to Crytal, Seabourn & Silverseas for buffet, then that is another matter. Just remember Tahiti is a very remote location, all the food and even water are imported (the bottle of wafer from PG are imported from US).

Also, if you are not into game (veal, vension, lamb etc), maybe RSSC food might not fit your taste.

Conclusion is definitly not 6*, but 4-5 star most of the time.;)

We were on the PG in 2004 for 14 days and in 2005 for 10 days. The changes we noticed in the food were only minor and not a bother to us. We do love fish and that is helpful towards being happy with the choices on the PG.

As stated above you may choose to dine alone, with friends that you came with or met on board or agree to be seated at a table where you will meet more new people. On our second cruise we chose to dine alone just one night.

I do have a common concern with Patrick in regard to the "priority seating" in the alternative restaurants that will become a perk for those with a certain number of nights sailed on RSSC. To date, I have not heard of anyone (including those who will qualify) who approve of this plan.

If you have a chance to sail on the PG don't let the negitive comments make you second guess your choice. Our trips were both fantastic.

Dittos to Kathy....our 3 PG trips were fabulous and we did not notice a measurable decline in the quality of the food. If anything, the service from the officer staff down was better than our previous two cruises in beautiful French Polynesia. Our endorsement was shared by 4 other couples we befriended, three of which sail 24/7 with all the luxury lines. We say if you have an opportunity to select the Paul G. for a vacation, don't hesitate. You'll have a hard time finding a better venue.

but then again, I was on the same cruise as he was. The food was mediorce much of the time with few standouts. If you've cruised on the Navigator, Mariner or Voyager, you'd be disappointed. But, again, the area is remote, the food on Tahiti for the most part was just acceptable - not great by any means even with the French influence. Our best meal was at the specialty restaurant, Apicus and we had a few good ones in the main dining room, but, nothing memorable. Service was excellent! We totally enjoyed our PG Experience - but the food was a disappointment.

Archived