cruise port

firstcruiser06

Hi,

First time going to Dominica in February 2014.

Would like to know what it is like around the cruise port ...

shops, restaurants, bars/lounges, free wifi, what is good to buy, etc.....

Is this a "big" area such as St. Kitts or small like St. Lucia or Barbados?

btw...is there a "Harley" store....lol...??

Thanks,

Mary :cool:

I went to Dominica 4 years ago. From what I remember, the port was pretty undeveloped in comparison to the rest of the ports on the itinerary. Downtown is a short walk but we didn't go because we took a shore excursion. Please don't discount this beautiful island upon first glance because it is still developing. We took an jeep excursion to some natural springs. We got back early and took a taxi to one of the black sand beaches. The taxi driver was kind enough to come pick us back up when we were done. It wasn't too expensive either.

Been there several times - most recently last month. Cruise port is right in the center of town. Shops, restaurants are all right there. I really enjoyed walking around.

Thanks so much I appreciate it.

So I guess there is something there in port....:))

:cool:

IMHO, take an excursion. The port area is primitive. There is some open air shopping but not as much as on other islands. It is ok for a walk around but it won't be more than an hour or two and you'll be missing a beautiful interior island.

• 2 weeks later...
IMHO, take an excursion. The port area is primitive. There is some open air shopping but not as much as on other islands. It is ok for a walk around but it won't be more than an hour or two and you'll be missing a beautiful interior island.

Karen

Thanks for your response........we are taking an excursion on the island but we wanted to know about the "shopping" in town to plan our time spent there......lolol

Mary:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Port? As in buildings? Nope.

Concrete pier sticks out 100' from shore and ship ties up parallel to shore at the end. Ship security sets up on the shore end of the pier. Excursions pick up on the road along the shore.

There are a few tables with local crafts across from the pier, but that is about it.

Very friendly people who are glad to see the tourists. Wacky Roller tour was a lot of fun - 8 people plus guide in the back of a Land Rover truck ducking for the trees. Visited zoo, waterfall (local divers want tips), swam into Emerald Pool and waterfall.

We were in Dominica earlier this month...our second visit. It hasn't changed in 10 yrs. At the pier there is a large warehouse type building where the locals sells their wares.

I have never seen a Harley store there.

Our first visit we took an island tour & this time we went to a locals home for a cooking class.

I wouldn't miss taking some kind of tour on Dominica...it's a very tropical island with plants, shrubs, flowers, waterfalls, just natural beauty.

Betty

• 1 month later...

Don't judge a book by it's cover with this stop. Dominica is a underdeveloped tourist stop but once you get out of Roseua it is unbelievable! It's a gorgeous place with very friendly locals. There's lots to see and do once you get out of the town.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...

Interesting to see that not much has developed other than the beach and diving activities. Years ago there was a tour to the Carib Indian village. Looks like the Hollywood set has moved on to another island.

We are going there in November and we intend on walking the port again.....unless we change our minds and take another tour.