Driving to Port of Miami

cubbiesgal21

Has anyone done the drive down I-65/75/Florida Turnpike from the Kentucky area to Port of Miami recently? We are looking to make the drive for spring break to catch a cruise leaving Saturday, but we aren't able to leave Louisville till about noon on the Friday before. Just wondering if there is any construction on the route that is creating habitual delays. We are debating whether or not we could make it in time. We love the itinerary/price, and I think we can do it if there sin't much major construction/delays. Just wondering if anyone has done anything like that before. It's a little over 1,000 miles we would have to do in about 24-25 hours. Thanks everyone!

If you're traveling with a smart phone look up the apps for 511 Georgia and 511 Florida. Both will show where delays are occurring. Also have Google maps so if you see a long delay occurring you can hunt an alternate route. Friend went to Atlanta up 75 last week and didn't encounter anything. But some times an accident will delay you. If you have 2 people driving you should be okay. Just plot out the rest stops and try to stop every 2-3 hours and switch drivers. Or drink lots of coffee/water so you're forced to hit a rest stop more frequently.

With 24+ hours you should be fine.

Has anyone done the drive down I-65/75/Florida Turnpike from the Kentucky area to Port of Miami recently? We are looking to make the drive for spring break to catch a cruise leaving Saturday, but we aren't able to leave Louisville till about noon on the Friday before. Just wondering if there is any construction on the route that is creating habitual delays. We are debating whether or not we could make it in time. We love the itinerary/price, and I think we can do it if there sin't much major construction/delays. Just wondering if anyone has done anything like that before. It's a little over 1,000 miles we would have to do in about 24-25 hours. Thanks everyone!

If it is spring break, plan on HEAVY traffic on the interstates.

I think it is cutting it too close.

One accident and traffic is backed up for eight hours.

I would do the drive but book a Sunday departure cruise to play it safe.

I am a very cautious driver (downright wimpy to some of my friends) but have solo driven Gainesville-Cincinnati in 14 hours and Chattanooga-Miami in 12. Adding the urgency of your deadline and stopping only for gas (take it easy on the personal liquids) with no delays driving time should be 18-19 hours. So close to a 33% cushion for unforseen stoppages or detours.

So you might be in the area before dawn. Or one bad accident could have you cutting it razor thin. Be sure to have the cruise line's 'in transit emergency' phone number handy if your ETA is delayed.

We found a great ap called WAZE. We downloaded to our phones and actually prefer it to the nav in our car. It will tell you everything from traffic delays to debris in the road. And it is a free ap!!

Hope you have a safe drive and a wonderful cruise!