The Buccaneer or Sand Castle

sippican

Considering a relaxing day at the beach, with decent snorkeling.

Can anyone comment on these resorts. They both have day pass options available.

We looked at Cane Beach but reviews are mixed as far as the avalability of chairs, umbrellas and food.

We looked at Cane Beach but reviews are mixed as far as the avalability of chairs, umbrellas and food.

Warning: I have vacationed at the Buccaneer 15 times so I am a bit biased!

I have never been to Sandcastles but the beaches on the West End of St. Croix are very pretty. And it's much closer to the pier so your transportation cost will be much lower. However, that also means you will have lots of company from your fellow cruisers.

The Buccaneer is a lovely, upscale resort. You would most likely spend your time at the Mermaid Beach which is very pretty, has some good snorkeling off shore and has it's own beach restaurant. There are bathrooms and outdoor shower facilities. The views from the resort are breathtaking and you would also have access to the Grotto Pool and outdoor restaurant (more casual).

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

OP, I'll be in St. Croix in November. Can you please tell me the cost of the day pass and what they include? This may be something I'm interested in if I can't find other excursions to do.

OP, I'll be in St. Croix in November. Can you please tell me the cost of the day pass and what they include? This may be something I'm interested in if I can't find other excursions to do.

Which resort are you asking about? I heard they both do day passes and googled them a few days ago.

Which resort are you asking about? I heard they both do day passes and googled them a few days ago.

I googled and found the resorts but couldn't find any info on the day passes. I asked since your post stated they had day passes, I thought you had the prices and what they included. Info on both or either resort would be helpful if you have it. If not, I can send an email to them and post here what I find out.

I googled and found the resorts but couldn't find any info on the day passes. I asked since your post stated they had day passes, I thought you had the prices and what they included. Info on both or either resort would be helpful if you have it. If not, I can send an email to them and post here what I find out.

All I was able to find on Buccaneer (From the St Croix tourist site) is that they charge a small entrance fee. It was $4 a few years back, not sure about now.

Here is a link to The Sand Castle information.

http://www.sandcastleonthebeach.com/CruisePassengerBeachDayPass.cfm

I was trying to find out if I was truly intersted in either, based on feedback from others, before getting more info.

Please share if get more info from Buccaneers. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Question: Does the Buccaneer have beach umbrellas? My husband really needs some shade at the beach & pool.

They do not have beach umbrellas but there is a lot of shade available from the numerous palm trees on either the Mermaid or Grotto Beaches. People just move the lounge chairs around as the sun moves. Grotto Beach has quite a bit of shade.

I really wanted to do a day pass at the Buccaneer for our upcoming cruise in February, but the hotel responded by email and said they are totally sold out for the day we will be in port. I'm so bummed!

I was quoted that, IF it had been available, the day pass is $100 (includes access to a hotel room during the day only) for up to four adults and you get all access within the hotel to the grounds, services, and amenities just as if you were a guest of the hotel. That is what I wanted! Unfortunately it's entirely sold out, so that is not what I am going to get. Boo.

We're going to consider alternatives at this point, especially when they noted in their email that they will CLOSE access to gate non-hotel guests with no advance notice ... so you could pay for the $50 cab fare and then be turned away at the gate. No thank you.

It sure does look like a gorgeous property though!

I finally emailed the Buccaneer and heard back. They actually have 2 day passes. Here is the email I received:

Thank you for choosing The Buccaneer Hotel.

Yes we do offer day passes with two options for you to choose from

The first option is a $4 per person facility fee which includes parking, use of beach showers and rest rooms as well as use of the restaurant. Please note that this does not include use of the pools, towels, beach chairs, snorkeling and kayaks.

Day rooms are available for $100 per day for a maximum of 6 person (2 adults 4 children). Day room allows full access to the entire resort and amenities including the items listed above.

The first option doesn't required advance planning but the second option would

If you are interest in securing a day room please let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

I did ask if they had an all inclusive and their answer was:

Unfortunately, we don't have an all inclusive plan.

Here is the response I received from Sand Castle regarding their 2 chair, 1 umbrella and 2 drinks for $25 day pass special:

Thanks for your inquiry to Sand Castle on the Beach, you can purchase this package upon arrival.

Irma

Staff

I think we are going to end up doing Big Beards. He has a nice excursion that includes food & drinks.

I finally emailed the Buccaneer and heard back. They actually have 2 day passes. Here is the email I received:

Thank you for choosing The Buccaneer Hotel.

Yes we do offer day passes with two options for you to choose from

The first option is a $4 per person facility fee which includes parking, use of beach showers and rest rooms as well as use of the restaurant. Please note that this does not include use of the pools, towels, beach chairs, snorkeling and kayaks.

Day rooms are available for $100 per day for a maximum of 6 person (2 adults 4 children). Day room allows full access to the entire resort and amenities including the items listed above.

The first option doesn't required advance planning but the second option would

If you are interest in securing a day room please let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

I did ask if they had an all inclusive and their answer was:

Unfortunately, we don't have an all inclusive plan.

Here is the response I received from Sand Castle regarding their 2 chair, 1 umbrella and 2 drinks for $25 day pass special:

Thanks for your inquiry to Sand Castle on the Beach, you can purchase this package upon arrival.

Irma

Staff

I think we are going to end up doing Big Beards. He has a nice excursion that includes food & drinks.

Thank you for the update.

Does anyone have an idea of how far each of these resorts is from the port, and what the cab fare would be?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sand Castles is less than 10 mins from the ship. Taxi is approx. $4-$5. you can easily walk and it takes about 20 minutes from the ship. The Buccaneer is close to an hour away from the ship. I estimate the taxi fare would be $40-$50. The ship docks in Frederiksted and the Buccaneer is on the east side of St. Croix in Christiansted. The Buccaneer is a luxury resort on beautiful grounds with a golf course. Sand Castles is a low rise casual/quaint hotel on a very nice beach facing the pier with views of the ship.

Both are great options but quite different from each other.

Edited by CrucianGal

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from cruise and did Sand Castles.

We were quite pleased with our chairs, umbrella and rum punches! We ate lunch at their outdoor dining - had Chicken wrap with cole slaw and DH had huge hamburger - think bill with tip was approx. $30. The water was lovely, very clear and not at all rough. A bit difficult to get out of water for me due to drop off but a friend and a man helped me out(DH was still in water about 50 feet away). I ended up with my bottom full of sand but I was able to rinse off in outdoor shower and got most of the sand out! There were about 20 cruisers from our ship but did not feel crowded. There was a small pool available to use but I didn't go in it.

Taxi in Nov 2014 was $6. pp round trip so quite reasonable. Would not consider walking instead of riding - too warm in Southern Caribbean for me - well worth $12 price plus tip - a great day, we enjoyed it!! Staff at Sand Castles was very kind and helpful. My name was waiting on a list but many people just went there without reservation but remember, this was in beginning of "season".

Barbara