Shopping - crystal and porcelain

Yellow Lab's Rule

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there are stores in walking distance from where you are docked. Since Lalique is French, they should have a store or two with some crystal. I know I found some French perfume there which is hard to find in the states.

Where You're Docked

Ships primarily dock at one of two terminals. Located on the edge of the city of Fort-de-France, La Tourelles is a one-mile, 15-minute walk (or five-minute taxi ride) to the Centre de Ville (center of town). This area has one berth and can only accommodate smaller ships.

Two-berth Pointe Simon terminal is located downtown, right in the heart of the waterfront, and the city's eateries, shops and historic attractions are nearby. This terminal underwent a series of renovations to expand the number and size of the ships it can accommodate.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=22

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

• 3 weeks later...
Yes there are stores in walking distance from where you are docked. Since Lalique is French, they should have a store or two with some crystal. I know I found some French perfume there which is hard to find in the states.

Where You're Docked

Ships primarily dock at one of two terminals. Located on the edge of the city of Fort-de-France, La Tourelles is a one-mile, 15-minute walk (or five-minute taxi ride) to the Centre de Ville (center of town). This area has one berth and can only accommodate smaller ships.

Two-berth Pointe Simon terminal is located downtown, right in the heart of the waterfront, and the city's eateries, shops and historic attractions are nearby. This terminal underwent a series of renovations to expand the number and size of the ships it can accommodate.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=22

We were there on a Sunday and there was no shopping. I was not impressed

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
Why are you surprised?

France is a Catholic country.

We have travelled to many a "Catholic" country, as you so eloquently state, that have had shops/restaurants that were open on a Sunday!!

On a small island, knowing far in advance that a cruise ship was bringing in thousands of visitors, I would think that some places would benefit from opening.

Edited by buddylover

We have travelled to many a "Catholic" country, as you so eloquently state, that have had shops/restaurants that were open on a Sunday!!

Very true, but the fact of the matter is that very few stores are open anywhere in France on a Sunday.

Whatever, if you are there on a day other than Sunday, the best place to look for Lalique is probably Galeries Lafayette, in Rue Victor Schoelcher, but, for sure, it is not open on a Sunday.

Not sure it is open on Saturday afternoons.

On a small island, knowing far in advance that a cruise ship was bringing in thousands of visitors, I would think that some places would benefit from opening.

The tourist shops will be open to cater for the majority of the visitors.

However, 'les grands magasins', which is where the few who wish to purchase quality products like Lalique need to go, will not be open.

I guess they work on the principal that most tourists do not visit for just one day and will visit the store on another day, whilst out of those who do visit for just one day, most are going to want to tour the island and very few will want to use their short stay to go off to buy quality glassware.