Traveling with narcotics different now?

kjunea

A little background -- I am a 50 years old and I have Avascular Necrosis of my ankle, due to a car accident 16 years ago. I've had 12 surgeries on my legs and have used a cane full time and a wheelchair part time for the past 10 years. I've been on 6 cruises since 2000, with my 7th next month. I've carried Narcotics for my pain everytime in original containers. (just in case, most times, I never used them -- I try not to use more than 30 in a 4-6 month period).

I am having surgery the week after my cruise to replace my ankle, which means no Ibuprfen or NSAIDS the week of the cruise, which means pain. I called the Doctor about getting a refill on my Narcotics to help me make it through the week and the nurse told me they have had patients recently having trouble getting back into the country with their narcotics even in their original bottles! I've never had any problem before (last cruise was in October 2010 and had no problems). Now I'm scared to take mine, which means i will be in some pretty large pain that Tylenol just won't touch!

Has anyone had any problems lately? We are going out of Charleston and going to Nassau, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. Thanks!

June

We had no trouble coming back into the states from Europe in May. We also had no problems going to Europe. I kept the narcotics in their original container but put my other pills in a daily container contraption. I also carried a list of my prescriptions on the letterhead from my doctors office and signed by the doctor. However none of this was even looked at.

Back in May, I was going to be flying within the U.S. but had (still have, actually) an open wound that has to be packed with gauze. Most of my carry-on was filled with medical supplies, including saline. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any problems with the TSA, so at my last doctor's appointment before the trip, I told the receptionist that I would like to get a note from the doctor giving me the OK to travel. I mentioned that I would be taking my percocet in its original bottle. She told me that she has heard of people having trouble carrying narcotics even in prescription bottles and said I should request a new prescription from the doctor, even though I don't intend to fill it.

The place where you have to deal with this is US Customs. I've had varying situations come up. I always carry Rx drugs in original containers and do not use a 7 day container.

On one trip in to the US, a Customs agent opened all my pill bottles and sorted the pills out on the same filthy table they use to sort out suitcases and who knows what else.

I got all my pills back after their time on that table and I was far from pleased.

There is nothing that can be done to prevent this.

It was up to me to decide what to do with the soiled pills after I got home. I had no clean medication for my continuing fights.

Archived