Chania/Souda/Crete

Moondawgie

Please tell me your experience at this stop. I would like to go to Olympia and that's about it. Can you tell me about the town of Chania as well?

Include as many details as possible because it's my first time there and I may do it by myself.

Thank you.

It's been a couple years since I was there, however, when I visited, the port or city provided a shuttle bus from the ship to central Chania. It was very reasonably priced -- maybe 3 euros round trip, if I recall. I took that shuttle into town. It is a nice town, with shoppes and restaurants and cafes, but all-in-all, it was a relatively unexciting place to walk around. It has a nice waterfront/harbor to visit for a few nice views. After about 2-3 hours, I felt like I had covered all I wanted to see and headed back to the shuttle bus to return to the ship. If I ever stop here again, I would definitely try to arrange for something to do outside of Chania town. Look thru this board or use the search function. There is a fairly lengthy string of postings on the port of Chania/Souda.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Please tell me your experience at this stop. I would like to go to Olympia and that's about it. Can you tell me about the town of Chania as well?

Include as many details as possible because it's my first time there and I may do it by myself.

Thank you.

Souda is the port for Chania. This is not the port for Olympia (that's Katakolon).

At Souda, the town usually has a bus running to Chania and back for a very nominal cost. Chania is pleasant to walk around but nothing special. If you want to get a taxi or take a tour, Rethimnon is larger and more interesting, with Venetian-style architecture.

We've been twice now and booked a private tour both times…… both times they were outstanding. I can give you the name of the company we used if you ask for it……. don't want to break any rules !

We love Crete and were pleasantly surprised at this port……

We did a lot both days but due to our wonderful guides it was effortless and a great mix of walking/sightseeing and relaxing…..

Since Souda (the port) is a fair distance from Chania (town) you need some way to get there…… But here is what we did. We first visited a large park overlooking the city with wonderful views, then into town and a stop at the harbor front area. Then we went around the other side of the harbor. Next we headed out of town…my favorite part. We visited Aptera, an ancient Minoan ruin, some Roman bath ruins and a large Venetian fort nearby…..

http://www.explorecrete.com/archaeology/antiquities-crete.html

Then we went to an olive press (private tour of that) then lunch in a small village (wonderful !!!!!!) and then to a winery. Finally back to the ship.

Our second visit we did a few changes altho we still went into town (had in-laws with us and they hadn't seen it) but then went to a monastery where they were having a service due to a Natl. holiday…. also a winery onsite where they also made Raki (made from the leftover grape parts after squeezed for wine) then to the ruins, lunch and a scenic drive (my request) instead of press and winery.

I could easily see returning to Crete for a land visit…..beautiful countryside, warm friendly people - if you can, get out of the city area and into some of the villages.

We ended up in Souda/Chania in June 2012 when winds kept us out of Mykonos. So we scrambled to come up with ideas. Took the easy shuttle into Chania and walked around. Would have been a nice place to have lunch but we wanted to try a beach. Took a taxi to a beach and spent a few hours and lunch there (nothing spectacular).

This trip, I have booked a Foodie tour (3 hours) through Athenswalkingtours.gr. And we plan to have our cab back to the ship take us to the Allied WWII war cemetery near the port in Souda Bay.

Just some other ideas to consider.

I did correspond with "Lefty" whom everyone on CC recommends for a local tour and he was offering a 4 to 5 hour tour for four people at 160E. You can reach him at 3lnikigr@yahoo.com

We've been twice now and booked a private tour both times…… both times they were outstanding. I can give you the name of the company we used if you ask for it……. don't want to break any rules !

QUOTE]

Yes, please! Your first tour sounds like a great option for a first visit. Do you remember the cost?

QUOTE]

Yes, please! Your first tour sounds like a great option for a first visit. Do you remember the cost?

Sure…. we used Lefty !!!! Here is his website

http://www.greecetravel.com/crete/taxitours/index.html

He quoted us an hourly rate…. so you can tour as much as your wallet wants to ;) I believe we paid 40 euros per hour but not sure if his rate is still the same.

The second visit to Crete he was already booked but sent a friend and we were just as happy with him as we were with Lefty….. well almost :p

We are on QE with Cunard in September we have Heraklion as day 2 on itinery I have always wanted to visit Spinalonga does anyone know if this is feasible There are only 3 shore excursions on offer for Crete and this isn't 1 of them help appreciated

Sure…. we used Lefty !!!! Here is his website

http://www.greecetravel.com/crete/taxitours/index.html

He quoted us an hourly rate…. so you can tour as much as your wallet wants to ;) I believe we paid 40 euros per hour but not sure if his rate is still the same.

The second visit to Crete he was already booked but sent a friend and we were just as happy with him as we were with Lefty….. well almost :p

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Chania's a wonderful port-of-call. First of all getting to Chania from Souda is very easy, as a shuttle bus is usually laid on between the two. In Chania, I can recommend a morning walk around the Venetian era harbor to the Venetian lighthouse, then returning along the harbor front to admire the fronts of the old shipyards, the 17th century Mosque and the Firkas fortress. Stop for lunch at one of the fabulously atmospheric restaurants under the old city wall in the heart of the old town. In the afternoon walk around to beautiful Nea Chora beach, perfect for a relaxing time or an invigorating swim out to a band of offshore rocks.

Edited by cruiseathon