Our DIY Mykonos & Saint John Resort Recap

RoadLessTraveled728

**This recap is based on our 11-night Eastern Mediterranean sailing on the Celebrity Reflection in May of 2013.**

We arrived into the new port in Mykonos around 8am. We originally were supposed to tender into Mykonos, but we were somehow able to dock right in. Prior to sailing, I'd done my research on the best things to see and do in Mykonos and ended up coming across a thread about a day pass to Saint John Resort. It sounded too good to be true...but I emailed the hotel about it anyway and was surprised to find it was a real thing! For €30 per person (one of two different day pass packages you could choose from), you could book a "day pass" at the resort that included

-transfer from the ship to the resort

-use of the resort pool, beach, sauna, jacuzzi, lounge chairs, gym, showers, and restaurants

-use of pool/beach towels

The other package was €140 per person, but also included a 30 minute massage in their spa and a 3 course meal (excluding drinks) at the restaurant next to the pool. We opted to skip the massage and go the cheaper route.

I have to say...it was the best decision we made our whole cruise!! Even though the hotel bus was 20 minutes late picking us up from the port, we still couldn't have picked a better excursion for our day in Mykonos. TIP: make sure to have the hotel phone number with you just in case you need to run into a snag! Upon arriving at Saint John Resort (just a 15 minute drive away from the new port), we checked in at the front desk (very smooth check in process), and were greeted with smiles and glasses of champagne! Very unexpected bonus! After paying our €30 per person, the hotel staff then gave us a resort map and explained to us what services were available for our day pass. After a few minutes of chit chat, we were on the reception balcony sipping our champagne and embracing some STUNNING resort views!

DSC_0685_zps89d27f71.jpg

Our first impressions of Saint John Resort & lots of photos from my travel blog:

http://www.wetooktheroadlesstraveled.com/2013/06/mykonos-saint-john-hotel-villas-spa.html

After snapping a million photos of the gorgeous resort grounds, we made our way down to the pool and claimed our sun beds for the day. The infinity pool looking over the ocean was to die for! We ordered cocktails (a bit pricy, but when in paradise, right?!) and a plate of homemade tzatziki sauce w/pita bread (SO YUMMY...and garlicky!) and lounged for hours. Because it was early May, the lounge chairs/umbrellas weren't out on beach yet, but we went down there and stuck our feet in the chilly water anyway. The pool water was also cold (again, it was early May), but I swam in it anyway! Refreshing and so, so beautiful.

DSC_0743_zpsf22d8938.jpg

More info on the day pass, photos, and our experience at Saint John Resort from my travel blog:

http://www.wetooktheroadlesstraveled.com/2013/06/mykonos-day-pass-to-paradise.html

DSC_0862_zpsdce0d93f.jpg

Around 3pm, we packed up our things and took the hotel transfer to the old pork in Mykonos town. TIP: the hotel staff said we could take the hotel transfer either back to our ship or to the old port for easy access to Mykonos town. We definitely wanted to see more of Mykonos, so we were thankful to be dropped off near the town. It was about a 5 minute walk from where the hotel shuttle bus dropped us to the beginning of Mykonos town.

DSC_0939_zps6c8fe137.jpg

Once we got there, we just wandered the streets for a while...ducking in and out of different shops and enjoying the white washed buildings and colorful flowers. We decided to grab a bite to eat when it started to drizzle on us. I can't remember the name of the restaurant we ate at, but the food was wonderful! We even tried a Greek beer, just to be well-rounded travelers, of course. We also wanted to find a traditional bakery to grab authentic baklava. After searching for a while, we came across Patissaries Mandarini. This place had the most delicious baklava I'd ever put into my mouth! Order the chocolate baklava bite...you can thank me later!

Recap of our exploration of Mykonos town from my travel blog:

http://www.wetooktheroadlesstraveled.com/2013/06/exploring-town-of-mykonos.html

DSC_0915_zps9cb507da.jpg

After grabbing our baklava, it was getting close to time to catch the shuttle bus back to the ship (provided by Celebrity to take you from the old port to the new port where our ship was docked--there was a fee, maybe $10 per person round trip, but we somehow just hopped on and didn't have to pay it! The cruise gods were with us that day!). We snapped a few photos on the harbor and made our way back to port around 5pm. One thing we didn't get to do was hike up to the windmills, but we did see them on our drive from the resort to Mykonos town, so that was good enough for me. We absolutely loved Mykonos & Saint John Resort...can't wait to go back someday! Any questions...feel free to message me!

DSC_0804_zps3a7557bb.jpg

Thanks, Casey, for the detailed information. We had hoped to go to St. John resort in June 2012 on the Equinox but the cancelled the port due to winds. Hotel kindly refunded our money. We now hope to visit in June 2014 on the Silhouette so your information is helpful and confirms that it is just what we will want to do :)

For Pax that is researching this option, just be aware that they are not supposed to drop you in the township, but they are supposed to bring you back to the ship (something to do with the local law and taxies). However the drivers will try and drop you close enough to the township if asked, but it could be a bit of a hairy walk. In our case the van was full with passengers that had to go to the airport, so the driver had to hurry.

We left the resort at 2pm and had just enough time to explore the township a little and then followed the masses unto the Celebrity bus;).

It was a wonderful day.

For Pax that is researching this option, just be aware that they are not supposed to drop you in the township, but they are supposed to bring you back to the ship (something to do with the local law and taxies). However the drivers will try and drop you close enough to the township if asked, but it could be a bit of a hairy walk. In our case the van was full with passengers that had to go to the airport, so the driver had to hurry.

We left the resort at 2pm and had just enough time to explore the township a little and then followed the masses unto the Celebrity bus;).

It was a wonderful day.

Yes, they originally state that they will take you back to the ship (as they aren't allowed to drive around Mykonos town)…but the hotel bus driver had no problem dropping us off at the old port…which is a short walk (maybe 5-7 minutes) to the heart of Mykonos town. From where he dropped us off in the old port…we could see the restaurants and shops from across the water.

Edited by RoadLessTraveled728

Just wanted to confirm that the hotel did respond to my email request.

Also, they only offer to options at 70 Euros per person. No 30 Euro option as they had offered in the past.

Now just need to determine if it's worth $400 for the four of us to spend the day there.

And thanks to all for the info on getting dropped off in town as we would like to do that.

Just wanted to confirm that the hotel did respond to my email request.

Also, they only offer to options at 70 Euros per person. No 30 Euro option as they had offered in the past.

Now just need to determine if it's worth $400 for the four of us to spend the day there.

And thanks to all for the info on getting dropped off in town as we would like to do that.

Oh no! I hate to hear they've raised their prices. I guess they've realized what a good deal they had going on and are now trying to capitalize off of it. Kind of a shame. :( I hope you have a wonderful vacation regardless!

I am definitely interested in this idea. They did get back to me right away - both options offered are 70 euros - one with a lunch option (3 different multi-course choices) and one with a massage option.

Even at the higher price it still seems like a great choice for a relaxing day at a beautiful resort - certainly cheaper than staying there for the night. :) Also I'm on my own for this cruise so it's not too much of a splurge for one person.

Thanks for the info and pictures - your blog is excellent too!

• 2 weeks later...
I am definitely interested in this idea. They did get back to me right away - both options offered are 70 euros - one with a lunch option (3 different multi-course choices) and one with a massage option.

Even at the higher price it still seems like a great choice for a relaxing day at a beautiful resort - certainly cheaper than staying there for the night. :) Also I'm on my own for this cruise so it's not too much of a splurge for one person.

Thanks for the info and pictures - your blog is excellent too!

Oh good! At least both options offer an added perk of the massage or meal. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could! :)

Thanks so much!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Anybody know when St. John's closes for the season? We will be at Mykonos on Oct. 13, 2014 and would like to consider a day pass.

I received an email from the hotel. For 2014 they are open from 17 April to 10 October.....so we won't be able to visit them. :(

We were so excited about the idea of a day pass at the resort. They emailed me back and, unfortunately, they are booked solid with hotel guests in August and aren't making the hotel available for day guests during that time.:(

• 2 weeks later...

Given the massive amount of food that is offered as part of the package, does anyone know if four of us could share two meals and have the other two get the massage package? I'm not looking to rip the hotel off....just can't imagine that any of us will eat ALL of that food!

• 1 month later...

I just received a reply from the hotel for a date in July - not only do they not offer the 30EU option any longer, but the other choices are a little different now - it was either 80EU for breakfast and a massage or 70EU for breakfast and lunch