Alaska cruise

aggie76

We are going on the Alaska cruise and pre cruise. What is the best clothing to take on the pre cruise? Will spend 3 days before the cruise. What is the weather usually like end of May?
Layers, layers, layers. I'd wear jeans, t-shirt, sweater, windbreaker, hat, mittens and scarf. It could be chilly in the morning, warmer during the day. Bring extra t-shirts, undies and perhaps another sweater. Hard to predict. When we disembarked the Diamond Princess last May 16th in Whittier, it was during a snowstorm and freezing. I was told, "It's not normally like this." But whatever you experience is your normal. :)

We went on a cruise to Alaska in August and it was warm and sunny every day except one. I was sooooo glad I had researched on these boards and brought shorts as well as layers. We also did the land tour and it was at least eighty degrees every day.

We went the end of May a few years ago and the weather was gorgeous. As Pam said, layers is the best idea but make sure you take shorts :) My DH was so upset he didn't take any :D. We were sunburned on the back deck of Caribe while doing scenic cruising through Glacier Bay on Memorial Day!

You should purchase if you do not have- and bring- A raincoat (or windbreaker) with a hood- and pockets- that is standard apparel for all Alaskans-

LOL...because you live in SE! My raincoat only comes out when I'm traveling. And my sister, who lives in the interior...not sure she even owns one.

But teasing aside, for a visitor to the state, yes, you need a raincoat...you don't want to be stuck inside or miserable when you have limited time.

Our first adventure was in July, about 5 years ago. Did a week land, then cruised. We were in jeans (even to restaurants) with, as Pam said, layers. Our trip into Denali park was very cool. I was happy to have on long pants, shirt, sweatshirt, raincoat, mittens. Would have loved to have a warm hat and scarf.

The rest of our land portion we had wonderful weather and didn't need the raincoat or mittens but still happy that we dressed in layers.

On the ship, we stayed again in jeans, except for dinners, shirts and light jackets. I think I remember bringing shorts too, just in case and maybe wore them on one or two days. (But, I weighed 50 pounds more than I do now!)You can always go inside for warmth if you get too cold. The one day we wore everything warm we could lay hands on was the day in Glacier Bay. It was cold - very cold, drizzly, and did I mention cold?

We had some friends who also sailed in July and they didn't bring summer clothes at all and baked. It was in the 80's for their entire trip!

So, as the others have stated, bring some of everything. There are coin fed washers and dryers on the ship to do a load or two along the way, and no one says anything about you repeating outfits!

Layers, layers, layers. I'd wear jeans, t-shirt, sweater, windbreaker, hat, mittens and scarf. It could be chilly in the morning, warmer during the day. Bring extra t-shirts, undies and perhaps another sweater. Hard to predict. When we disembarked the Diamond Princess last May 16th in Whittier, it was during a snowstorm and freezing. I was told, "It's not normally like this." But whatever you experience is your normal. :)

Last May may have been the worst May we ever had. I posted a picture of May 17 contrasted to the exact same day the previous year. Didn't even look like the same time of year. May is usually my favorite month, weatherwise.

Pam's advice is right on...always layers, and be prepared for any temp. between 40 and 80. Have sunscreen and sunglasses, and a way to keep dry. I have ears sensitive to temperatures, so always have something to cover my ears. And I always have a lightweight pair of gloves.