Were you on the maiden voyage of the Royal?

SeaCBear

We've been fortunate to sail on a few ships that were less than a year old, but have never sailed on the maiden voyage of any brand new ship.

So, when we sail on the Regal Princess on May 20, should we expect anything different? Any celebration or marking of the first sailing in any way? Was anything special done on the Royal's first voyage?

Thanks!

Hi,

We were on the maiden voyage of the Royal Princess in June 2013. This was my first maiden voyage. Unfortunately, Princess did not do much to commemorate the cruise. They passed out British flags to the passengers for our sailaway from Southampton. Also, they gave each stateroom an 8x10 photo of the ship. The Princess Entertainer of the Year performed one evening and John Maxtone-Graham (the noted maritime author) did a couple of lectures.

We are booked on the cruise that was originally going to be the maiden voyage of the Regal Princess (departing from Venice on June 2, 2014), but opted not to change to the new earlier maiden voyage.

We enjoyed the Royal Princess and are looking forward to our cruise on the Regal Princess in June.

Chuck

From what I've read on most forums here at Cruise Critic over the last decade, Maiden Voyages are for the most part not the 'ceremonious activity' they use to be. The maiden arrival is usually more festive with tugs spraying water jets, etc., but the departure of the very first cruise seems to be pretty much like any other.

OK, thanks everyone - all good information. A bit disappointing - I thought they might at least give us a glass of sparkling wine as we board - or sail away - to commemorate the Regal's maiden voyage.

But the ship will be all new and shiny and pristine (and hopefully completely finished!), and I know we will have a wonderful time. We'll just buy our own glasses of bubbly with our new beverage package :D