Nassau & History

Gabrielle R.

DH & I have never been to Nassau. I thought seeing some history would be fun (I teach history... so poor DH gets dragged to at least 1 history trip per cruise....Or more) ;)

I saw the Pirates museum, I'd like to do that... I saw a few other things that I wouldn't mind seeing, such as: Queens staircase and Ft Fincastle.... How hard is it to get to these places?

What would be the best way of seeing some of these places... We are in port from 8-5 Is it easier to get a private tour?? Who would you suggest? I understand that it is easy to walk from the port to the museum.... also a beach is about 15-20 minute walk away?

I will take ANY ideas or suggestions! THANKS for your help!!!

Check out the Frommer's walking tour of Nassau. It includes many of the historical buildings.

Here are the links:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/722464

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/470640-mp0401newprovidence.jpg

It takes about two hours to do the walking tour, depending on how long you linger. I did it with my mom and we just stopped at the places we were most interested in.

There is also a museum on the history of slavery in the Bahamas called the Pompey Museum:

http://www.ammcbahamas.com/Runtime/PompeyMuseum.aspx

I haven't been to the museum so I'm not positive it is still open. Hopefully someone here will know for sure.

Junkanoo Beach is about a 10 minute walk from town.

Another option, if you want to combine beach with history is to take a cab to Cabbage Beach. From there, you can walk to the Cloisters, the remains of a 14th century French monastery. The Cloisters are small but very photogenic. There are a few pictures on my blog (scroll down to the bottom of the post).

http://www.susancrow.blogspot.com/2013/01/celebrity-constellation-two-days-too.html

Have fun!

I just posted this in response to another Nassau question....Jermaine will take you anywhere you'd like.

We did an island tour with Jermaine. The tour was very informative, and we hit all the points of interest....forts, Queens Staircase, Government buildings, churches, and monuments. The tour lasted for about 2.5 hours; Jermaine is very personable and shares his knowledge of the history of the island, its people, government and agriculture. Admission to the forts is included in the cost, which was $36.00 per person. he will also take you to the beaches, Atlantis, and through some of the various neighborhoods in Nassau- just to take a peak at them. Very enjoyable and educational tour.

Bonnie, which post did you have? Or contact info for Jermaine?

Thanks for any info!

Here is the link to his website - check him out on Tripadvisor too. Yes there are many individuals that will share tidbits of history at the forts and staircase, but Jermaine has a ton of in-depth knowledge about the history of the island, its people, and historic sites

http://jermainestaxiandtours.com/

We did our own walking tour, of sorts, last week.

There are people at the staircase and the fort who are more than willing to recite a lot of history regarding the staircase and fort. they would just like a donation when you're done.

Where did you go? AND did you walk from the ship?

Thanks!

The Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle (those are together) and outside of the governor's house - all very walkable from the port.

Also, outside the port is a square that has big pictures and, what I'm assuming, is the story of their independence. I have to assume it because my family wouldn't let me stop and read ;)

We did a tour with Mario Bethel this past January and he was GREAT he knew his island inside and out, we have kept in touch since our trip this past January. He has added some new tours to his venue including some govenment building tours! If you would like his contact information just email me at megator2@aol.com and I would be happy to send you his info!! You would NOT be disappointed with Mario!!!

Keep in mind the British Colonial Hilton is on the site of Fort Nassau, built, I believe, in 1695, and was Pirate HQ during the Golden Age of Piracy. The fort's obviously long gone now, but you can still judge how the cannons would have dominated the entrance to the harbor...

So... For all who have done their own 'walking' tour.....Was there a place that you would say WOW! Was there a place that you feel was a don't miss?

Or something that made you say, wish I would've known this ahead of time?

DH likes on your own.... Recommendation for a getting a good map to look at to explore?

THANK YOU for ALL the information! Trying to figure out just what to do!

Sorry! I thought I'd posted a link to the Frommer's Walking Tour map in my first answer but I posted the wrong link.

Here is the right one: http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/470640-mp0405nassauwalk.jpg

When my mom and I did the walk, we really liked the Queen's Staircase and my mom especially liked the library (which used to be the jail). She's a resource director so probably not everyone is excited about libraries as she is. :) But it is a unique building.

My husband and I like walking around Graycliff. He buys a couple of cigars there. The last time, we did the chocolate tour and it was fun.

Sorry! I thought I'd posted a link to the Frommer's Walking Tour map in my first answer but I posted the wrong link.

Here is the right one: http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/470640-mp0405nassauwalk.jpg

When my mom and I did the walk, we really liked the Queen's Staircase and my mom especially liked the library (which used to be the jail). She's a resource director so probably not everyone is excited about libraries as she is. :) But it is a unique building.

My husband and I like walking around Graycliff. He buys a couple of cigars there. The last time, we did the chocolate tour and it was fun.

Thanks for the information!! NOW the tough decision- WHAT TO DO!! Thanks!