Public bus system/trolley in Newport is Terrible

sunlover5

We were in Newport, RI on Oct. 18 with Princess cruise. Also NCL had a ship in that same day.

Newport is a beautiful town and have been there before, but in one word their public transit system stinks.

We bought the 6.00 all day pass. Our first clue should have been the long line outside to get on. Took forever for the next bus to come after one left. We took the bus out to the Cliff walk. When we were done, we went to a bus stop and after 32 mins. a bus arrived and could only take 2 people. We had over 30 people waiting. After a few minutes we decided to walk. I crossed the street to a bus stop and saw a bus coming. An empty bus and he went right by me and up to the next stop pointing to the stop. but never waited for us to get there. Walking back at every stop there were over 10 people at each stop with the same problem.Talking to them and telling them all the people at every stop, they would chose to walk also. My daughter finally begged a bus driver to let her squeeze in and she went back and got her vehicle(she and our grandchildren came to meet us for the day.) She came to pick us up. I felt bad for the lady in the walking boot. We wanted to give her a ride but they were trying to get a cab. There were a lot of unhappy people.

The trolley tours would be good...but you could not hop on/off like other trolleys in other cities.

A lot of complaints from people when we got back on the ship.

We did get back and had a nice lunch and did a little shopping.

Such a lovely town with such a bad system to leave a bad impression for their city.

Wow... I guess we have been lucky the couple times we have been there we were the only ship, so half empty transit busses. I agree it is a beautiful places, sorry to hear of such a bad experience on transit. You would think extra busses would be put on knowing how popular the mansions/cliff walk are with guests of the city.

We were in Newport, RI on Oct. 18 with Princess cruise. Also NCL had a ship in that same day.

Newport is a beautiful town and have been there before, but in one word their public transit system stinks.

We bought the 6.00 all day pass. Our first clue should have been the long line outside to get on. Took forever for the next bus to come after one left. We took the bus out to the Cliff walk. When we were done, we went to a bus stop and after 32 mins. a bus arrived and could only take 2 people. We had over 30 people waiting. After a few minutes we decided to walk. I crossed the street to a bus stop and saw a bus coming. An empty bus and he went right by me and up to the next stop pointing to the stop. but never waited for us to get there. Walking back at every stop there were over 10 people at each stop with the same problem.Talking to them and telling them all the people at every stop, they would chose to walk also. My daughter finally begged a bus driver to let her squeeze in and she went back and got her vehicle(she and our grandchildren came to meet us for the day.) She came to pick us up. I felt bad for the lady in the walking boot. We wanted to give her a ride but they were trying to get a cab. There were a lot of unhappy people.

The trolley tours would be good...but you could not hop on/off like other trolleys in other cities.

A lot of complaints from people when we got back on the ship.

We did get back and had a nice lunch and did a little shopping.

Such a lovely town with such a bad system to leave a bad impression for their city.

This was my experience also!! I could not get any of the buses to pick me up. I paid $6.00 for the HOHO and rode it to the first stop at the Cliff Walk. After walking the CW to The Breakers, I could not get a ride even back toward the ship, much less continue the tour. Several of the buses passed me up (some empty, one with a few passengers) but they would not stop for me. I walked for almost two hours in that blazing sun before one of the buses had to stop for a red light. I managed to reach the bus and bang on the door before the driver reluctantly let me board. It seems I had walked most of the way back to the ship, as we passed only one stop before I got off.

Normally this could have been just a nice long walk. But I am in my late (very late:rolleyes:) 60's, with a bum foot. It was not a very pleasant walk (or should I say "limp".)

If I am ever in Newport again, I shall stay on the ship!!

Archived