RCI Jewel out of San Diego

laurspag

We are looking at the May 16, 2015 cruise on Jewel of the Seas out of San Diego. The cruise goes to Catalina Island, San Francisco, Victoria, BC and ends in Vancouver. Has anyone else done this cruise before? Where did you stay in San Diego? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We've done variations of this cruise three times. 7 day RT on Carnival, 3day on HAL and 6 day again on HAL.

Expect to have rougher waters going north as you'll be going against the southbound current from Alaska.

Only one cruise (the 3day in April) did we hit horribly weather.

We drove in for all cruises. The port is is less than two hours from our house. I'd avoid the hotels on Hotel Circle. Nothing wrong with them except you'd need a car to get anywhere.

Edited by SadieN

I was looking at Humphreys Half Moon Inn. I'm only going to be there overnight. They have a nice restaurant from what I've heard. I'm

wondering if it is on walking distance to anything? I prefer not to rent a car. They have a shuttle to the port.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We're booked on this cruise also - have done the reverse north-south a couple of times. If you can, plan on spending a couple of days in both San Diego and Vancouver, 2 of our favorite cities. We live only 30 miles from San Diego, so know it well; Humphreys is OK, a little dated and far from all other city attractions, on Shelter Island. Try looking at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside, on Harbor Blvd. It's right across the street from the pier and many cruisers stay there; it's also within walking distance of many restaurants, the Midway, Maritime Museum, etc. Also check the Cruise Critic "North American Homeports" section, West Coast Departures, for lots of information about both San Diego and Vancouver.

We have done the itinerary out of San Pedro several times with Princess. Once north of about San Francisco you will find you are in cooler weather and you will likely expect rough seas, waves can reach 20 feet or more. On Catalina Is. a fun thing to do is to rent a golf cart and explore the Avalon townsite...the ships don't always make it into the port as it is a tender port and wind and sea conditions can prevent tendering in the harbour. In San Francisco there is a ton of things to do if you are considering a wine tour of the Napa or Sonoma Valley plan that it will take the better part of day. The hot tour in Victoria is Butchart Gardens which are world class gardens located about 35 to 45 minutes from the cruise terminal. In San Diego we have stayed at the Best Western Bayside Inn which has a free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise terminal. It's about 3 blocks to the harbour and about 4 to the cruise terminal (read Barn). There is a great Italian restaurant kitty corner to the hotel called Petrini's. http://www.baysideinn.com/

Unfortunately, we will only be in San Diego overnight and I don't think we will have all that much time. More than likely, we will arrive later in the day as we are coming in from the east coast. How far is Shelter Island from the port?

We may get to take an extra day for Vancouver though, which would be fantastic.

It sounds like I may need a mix of clothing for this trip.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would suggest a light rain jacket for Victoria and Vancouver something that you can wear a sweater or fleece underneath. Weather here in May is quite unpredictable but by mid month we normally are in the mid to high 60's for a daytime high and low to mid 50's at night but do plan that we could have some rain for your visit.

Laurie,

Shelter Island is a bit out of the way...

San Diego has a LOT of hotel choices...a lot of them close to the pier...

Most of them within a short cab ride...

And the airport isn't far from the pier either...

With only one overnight prior to your cruise, this is what I would do:

I would stay somewhere near the Gaslamp District...This would put you close to a nice walking area, a lot of restaurant choices and a lot of shopping...

I've stayed at the US Grant before--a stately old hotel right in the heart of everything--of course, it is a bit pricey...Other choices in the area include a Marriott Courtyard, a Ramada, Westgate, Andaz, Comfort Inn and others...

A little south, towards Petco Park (San Diego Padres Baseball stadium) there's another Marriott, a Hilton, a Residence Inn, Hard Rock, Omni, Horton Grand...

Across Harbor Drive, on the waterfront, theres a third Marriott--the Marriott Marquis, an Embassy Suites, Manchester Grand Hyatt and a Hilton...

Between the Gaslamp and the Cruise pier, there are a few more hotels--The W (I've stayed there--nice), the Westin, Best Western Bayside, Hampton Inn, Residence Inn San Diego Downtown..and, right across from the cruise pier, there's the Wyndham San Diego Bayside...

I would stay somewhere in that area...

How walkable any of the hotel locations are depends on your ability to walk...

But, anything that puts you close to the Horton Plaza (shopping mall) or Seaport Village (Touristy shop village)...

Stayinmg in these areas would give you the opportunity to get out a little on the one afternoon/evening you are there, see a little of the real San Diego, find a nice restaurant for dinner...and have a very short taxi ride to the pier in the morning...