Things to do outside of London

thmpsn

Cruising out of Harwich next year. Will be going into London early. Since we have been to London several times before, could someone recommend something to see or do outside of London that can be done on a day trip?

Thanks,

Karon

It kind of depends how far out of London you want to be and how you will get there.

There are places like Windsor (Where the Queen has a castle), Cambridge which is not so far from Essex where Harwich is, Norfolk (which has a large waterway area called the broads).

Just for starters........

Hello...

My favorite "one day out of London" is to go to Woodstock (a bit past Oxford) to see Blenheim Castle/Palace. The town is charming and the palace and grounds are amazingly beautiful. It looks like a fairy tale and has quite an interesting history.

I also like the suggestions given above, although given a choice I'd do Blenheim over Windsor. Personal feeling, but that town feels completely claustrophobic to me...so crowded.

Blenheim is worth a Google.

Have fun whatever you do!

murphysmum;)

Why do a day trip from London when you have to get to Harwich for the ship! Go & stay in Suffolk, much nearer to Harwich. Places to see - Lavenham, Constable country, they are how the real England used to be before the Ind Rev! When the Costa ship had to stop at Harwich last year due ro high winds at Dover, emergency excursions were laid on to Colchester (parts old Roman) & well recieved by those who went. Finally Sutton Hoo the old ship burial site with many artifacts on display in the new visitor centre, not far away from Harwich. Lots more can be found by a google for any on those names.

Hello...

My favorite "one day out of London" is to go to Woodstock (a bit past Oxford) to see Blenheim Castle/Palace. The town is charming and the palace and grounds are amazingly beautiful. It looks like a fairy tale and has quite an interesting history.

I also like the suggestions given above, although given a choice I'd do Blenheim over Windsor. Personal feeling, but that town feels completely claustrophobic to me...so crowded.

Blenheim is worth a Google.

Have fun whatever you do!

murphysmum;)

Murphysmum, I absolutely agree with your preference for Woodstock/Blenheim over Windsor--and for exactly the same reasons. There's really no comparison.

Karon, The cheapest & easiest way to get from London to Woodstock is to take the express coach (bus) from London (pick it up at Hyde Park Corner) to Oxford, then at Oxford (Woodstock Road) catch a bus to Woodstock (the final destination of which will, I believe, be Stratford). When I was last there, two companies (Oxford Tube and another whose name escapes me at the moment) ran the London-Oxford service; the service is very frequent (every 15 minutes or so) and relatively inexpensive (for the UK).

The train to Oxford out of Paddington Station is a mite faster but rather more expensive and not quite as frequent; plus, arriving in Oxford, you'll have to get yourself from the station to the Woodstock Road--just a 15-minute walk or so, but still...

Every time I've been at Woodstock it's been raining or threatening rain, but that hasn't put a damper on my visits. The town is charming in any weather.

Why do a day trip from London when you have to get to Harwich for the ship! Go & stay in Suffolk, much nearer to Harwich. Places to see - Lavenham, Constable country, they are how the real England used to be before the Ind Rev! When the Costa ship had to stop at Harwich last year due ro high winds at Dover, emergency excursions were laid on to Colchester (parts old Roman) & well recieved by those who went. Finally Sutton Hoo the old ship burial site with many artifacts on display in the new visitor centre, not far away from Harwich. Lots more can be found by a google for any on those names.

A bit further north (just north of Cambridge) is Ely--a small town that is entitled to be called a city by virtue of its magnificent cathedral, one of the finest in England.

If you're interested in horses and/or horseracing, Newmarket is also worth a visit.

Both Ely and Newmarket can be done together in a day trip, either from London or (perhaps even more ideally) from Cambridge. And if you stay in Cambridge, also pay a visit to the town of Saffron Walden and to the Jacobean manor house Audley End on the town's outskirts.

I would 2nd Cambridge - A stunning place to visit Kings College is worth a visit to the Uk all on its own.

Also if you want to travel a little further come to the "Finest stone town in England" Stamford you can see the stunning town and then visit Burghley House- And then launch and the famous George Hotel.

Ok, so I grew up there. But it is spectacular. Universities going back 500 years to the time of the Tudors. Punting on the River Cam. Climb up Great St Marys church tower for a great view of the city. Go Brass rubbing in some of the churches in town. And its only an hour from London by train or take a National Express Coach and I think it maybe be 90 minutes. Been so long since I was there, but a great place to visit. You have all your history/culture/architecture/museums in one spot rather than going to one country house in the middle of nowhere. There is the Fitzwilliam museum which has some impressive displays. The market in market square.

Ok, thats enough, back to reality:)

Ok, so I grew up there. But it is spectacular. Universities going back 500 years to the time of the Tudors. Punting on the River Cam. Climb up Great St Marys church tower for a great view of the city. Go Brass rubbing in some of the churches in town. And its only an hour from London by train or take a National Express Coach and I think it maybe be 90 minutes. Been so long since I was there, but a great place to visit. You have all your history/culture/architecture/museums in one spot rather than going to one country house in the middle of nowhere. There is the Fitzwilliam museum which has some impressive displays. The market in market square.

Ok, thats enough, back to reality:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We just spent a few nights in Colchester before departing from Harwich. Beautiful town with many things to do and good sightseeing. Stayed at a wonderful B&B (Rutland House) and walked everywhere. Colchester has a wonderful historic castle that you can spend hours in. Colchester is a short drive to Harwich.

Enjoy!

Archived