Jamaica question - although I should know the answer

cruising mickey

Hello,

My fiancé and I are considering a cruise, over Valentine's Day, for our honeymoon but most of them include a stop in Jamaica. Would anyone spend the money to just stay on the ship when docked in Jamaica or book another itinerary?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A lot of times when the ship is in port and you stay on board the ship is very empty and you can do whatever you would like on board very easily. Sometimes the spa will give discounts on a port day to passengers remaining on board. I have been to Jamaica once and will not get off the ship again there. But if you like everything else about a certain cruise, don't let the stop in Jamaica alone turn y'all off on that itinerary and cruise line.

Philip

• 2 weeks later...

an option is to stay on the ship, schedule a special spa day for the two of you...Jamaica has a lot to offer, however catering to gay cliental is not one of them, to our knowledge, especially when it is obvious there are males traveling without "females"....."where are your ladies?" "where are your girlfriends" type questions can be inflammatory if challenged. We haven't considered Jamaica in our itineraries in the last two Caribbean cruises due to the blatant discrimination projected to the LGBT community.

After our first cruise together more than 25 years ago, I vowed to never go back to Jamaica. On that cruise, we went to Ocho Rios. It's the only port where I've felt unsafe. We finally sailed on a cruise a couple of years ago that went back to Jamaica. We stayed on the ship and enjoyed our sea day in port. It was great to have half the passengers off the ship. There are fewer things programmed on port days, but we were fine.

I would book another itinerary. I've been to a lot of places that are not the most gay friendly, but Jamaica is notorious for not being welcoming to gays. Even if you don't get off the ship, the country still makes money from port fees and others on the ship. I just can't get myself to contribute to the economy of that country. If you are looking for Western Caribbean, there are several cruises that don't go to Jamaica but perhaps not on the cruise line you are looking at. Check out NCL and RCCL.

Hello,

My fiancé and I are considering a cruise, over Valentine's Day, for our honeymoon but most of them include a stop in Jamaica. Would anyone spend the money to just stay on the ship when docked in Jamaica or book another itinerary?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'd avoid any cruises that stop there. Sometimes the perfect cruise comes along(in other words GREAT price!!)If Jamaica is on the stop list. I'd make it a spa day. We did Jamaica back in 2006. It was awful!