4 hrs at the airport

Shrimpy H

Just had flight details emailed stating check in 4hrs before flight. What is that all about? Never cruised with P&O before but flown all over the world with all different airlines, Budget to Majors & never had to be at the airport that early. Am I reading it incorrectly? If not what is the reason?

Just had flight details emailed stating check in 4hrs before flight. What is that all about? Never cruised with P&O before but flown all over the world with all different airlines, Budget to Majors & never had to be at the airport that early. Am I reading it incorrectly? If not what is the reason?

Its ridiculous. We go by the airlines minimum check in time plus 15/20 mins.

I just think they put 4 hours "to be safe" - whatever that means!

I've flown all over with various airlines also and it seems most of the long haul are 4 hours now.

Don't sweat it though. It's not contract binding. Go with whatever you feel. Imagine the queues if everyone went for the 4 hour check in? :o

I've flown all over with various airlines also and it seems most of the long haul are 4 hours now.

Don't sweat it though. It's not contract binding. Go with whatever you feel. Imagine the queues if everyone went for the 4 hour check in? :o

Really? BA is 45 mins for long and short haul at T5.

The Manchester customs and security queue in August meant that an hour was needed just to get through. It seemed that we were lucky as those arriving a bit later spent almost two hours and just made the flight.

It really does depend on the time of the year, during the summer it is horrendous at Manchester as it is at any school holiday time so if your cruise is a Christmas cruise it is well worth giving yourself extra time time to get through security.

If your flight is Manchester airport you must check in no less than 2hours before there are queues everywhere and so slow of course Jan Feb is much quieter than Aug but still a big risk if you leave it any later we are flying in Jan and have booked seats and will get there just 2hrs before (traffic to airport permitting)!🚢

Really? BA is 45 mins for long and short haul at T5.

Silly me I just made that up...:confused:

My husband travels all over for business and yes, as he always books in online, you can turn up with 40 mins to spare. Pretty much all scheduled flights are like this.

I'm a tad confused as to why P & O would suggest 4 hours (which they've always done) when 40 mins will do? :confused:

Charter flight with 200/300 passengers going on a cruise, unlikely 40/45 mins will suffice.

I'm fairly sure most cruisers wouldn't turn up then either, even if they feel 4 hrs is too much.

As I said, if 4 hours it too much, that's fine but a couple of hours at least for your own peace if mind...xx

Would never advise that short time period at T5. It takes nearly that long to get through security without having to get to a possibly far gate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do it frequently with 15 mins as a buffer never missed a flight.

Well thats not what you said. You said you arrive 45 mins before the flight.

You know best.

Its ridiculous. We go by the airlines minimum check in time plus 15/20 mins.

I just think they put 4 hours "to be safe" - whatever that means!

Yes which is the BA minimum check in time then we ADD 15/20 minutes to that minimum check in time.

So we never said we arrive at the minimum check in time, we ADD 15/20 mins as a buffer, sorry but I don't think I can explain it further if you cannot grasp it?

Edited by richleeds

Yes which is the BA minimum check in time then we ADD 15/20 minutes to that minimum check in time.

I certainly wouldn't regard a 15/20 minute buffer as safe for T5. That would be a last resort contingency after all other contingency time had been used up getting to the airport.

I certainly wouldn't regard a 15/20 minute buffer as safe for T5. That would be a last resort contingency after all other contingency time had been used up getting to the airport.

We are normally in an airport hotel so it's just a perfectly timed walk I or shuttle bus into T5. Works for us.

So we never said we arrive at the minimum check in time, we ADD 15/20 mins as a buffer, sorry but I don't think I can explain it further if you cannot grasp it?

Probably because you do not explain it very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Dorset Cruiser