4 hrs at the airport

Shrimpy H

• 2 weeks later...
Really? BA is 45 mins for long and short haul at T5.

No, in Heathrow, check-in closes 45 mins before the flight, long haul flights also start to board at 45mins before flight. Three hours is still recommended. It I can be very difficult to get from check in at flight minus 45, through security and possibly a train and walk in time for your flight. In Heathrow you also must have gone through security by 35 mins before your flight or you will not be allowed to catch your flight. So, if you're held up at check-in, you quite possibly will miss your flight.

The delay going through security is somewhat irrelevant. Once you have checked in and lost your hold luggage, the plane is going nowhere until you arrive as your bags will be on the aircraft. The flight will not take off with bags minus passengers.

If you failed to appear, they would at some stage remove the luggage from the aircraft but this is an action they will avoid at all costs essentially because of the time it takes.

In essence if you have checked in and handed over your hold luggage, you will not miss that flight due to security delays provided that you act sensibly.

The delay going through security is somewhat irrelevant. Once you have checked in and lost your hold luggage, the plane is going nowhere until you arrive as your bags will be on the aircraft. The flight will not take off with bags minus passengers.

If you failed to appear, they would at some stage remove the luggage from the aircraft but this is an action they will avoid at all costs essentially because of the time it takes.

In essence if you have checked in and handed over your hold luggage, you will not miss that flight due to security delays provided that you act sensibly.

Correct.

No, in Heathrow, check-in closes 45 mins before the flight, long haul flights also start to board at 45mins before flight. Three hours is still recommended. It I can be very difficult to get from check in at flight minus 45, through security and possibly a train and walk in time for your flight. In Heathrow you also must have gone through security by 35 mins before your flight or you will not be allowed to catch your flight. So, if you're held up at check-in, you quite possibly will miss your flight.

You won't miss your flight if you have hold luggage as CharleyBen correctly states.

My reply of 45 mins was in response to a previous poster saying most airports are now 4 hours as standard. I was highlighting that 4 hours was not correct if you could get away with a minimum of 45 mins, though a middle ground of a couple of hours would be sensible, 4 hours is just daft and pandering to passengers thinking they are going to miss the flight.

What happens when you arrive 4 hours before a flight? You spend money in the airport!

You won't miss your flight if you have hold luggage as CharleyBen correctly states.

My reply of 45 mins was in response to a previous poster saying most airports are now 4 hours as standard. I was highlighting that 4 hours was not correct if you could get away with a minimum of 45 mins, though a middle ground of a couple of hours would be sensible, 4 hours is just daft and pandering to passengers thinking they are going to miss the flight.

What happens when you arrive 4 hours before a flight? You spend money in the airport!

Pandering to passengers ? Surely it's their choice to arrive 4 hours beforehand. My husband is a frequent flyer but he is the one that like to be at the airport in plenty time. I'm not fussed either way but I do like a wander round the airport to get something to eat and drink.

Also, surely people can decided for themselves if they want to shop or not. I love a good look around but generally don't buy anything. If you wanna spend, then spend, it's the start of your wonderful holiday...:D:D

Pandering to passengers ? Surely it's their choice to arrive 4 hours beforehand. My husband is a frequent flyer but he is the one that like to be at the airport in plenty time. I'm not fussed either way but I do like a wander round the airport to get something to eat and drink.

Also, surely people can decided for themselves if they want to shop or not. I love a good look around but generally don't buy anything. If you wanna spend, then spend, it's the start of your wonderful holiday...:D:D

I think if most cruise passengers see "arrive 4 hours before departure" on their docs, then that's what they will do, particularly the older generation and infrequent flyers,so it's not really a choice.

Airports want people in the airport the maximum time to get the spend per head up, even if you don't buy anything as such many will still buy a coffee/cold drink/sandwich or newspaper which is still revenue for the airport and concessions.

Also the airlines know the longer you have been in transit and at the airport prior to the flight the more likely you are to purchase onboard catering.

Hi all

Have read this thread with interest, we stay 10 minutes from Glasgow Airport.

When going on our cruises we arrive at the Airport 3 hours before departure, we check in get rid of luggage, have a leisurely breakfast, browse through WH Smith for some magazines/books, have a look in duty free, go to departure gate have leisurely drink before boarding. Three hours just disappear and then we board.

What's the problem you are on holiday after all.

PS. We normally book our seats.

Hi all

When going on our cruises we arrive at the Airport 3 hours before departure, we check in get rid of luggage, have a leisurely breakfast, browse through WH Smith for some magazines/books, have a look in duty free, go to departure gate have leisurely drink before boarding. Three hours just disappear and then we board.

Its horses for courses.

Some people enjoy the airport experience and arrive early as its the start of their holiday.

Others think its hell on earth and like to get there with as little time to spare as possible.

Each to their own.

This is terrible advice.

It might have worked to some extent 10 or more years ago.

It will not work at T5.

I'm not advising that someone checks a bag in at 45 mins prior to departure then goes and have a 3 course meal in Gordon Ramsey's safe in the knowledge that the plane will wait for them.

But when passengers are late to the gate, there is always a decision by the airline as to off load a bag from a container, maybe 30 mins delay, or wait 10 mins for the passenger to show up and give them a ticking off.

They will always go for the latter and only off load bags as a last resort.

But when passengers are late to the gate, there is always a decision by the airline as to off load a bag from a container, maybe 30 mins delay, or wait 10 mins for the passenger to show up and give them a ticking off.

They will always go for the latter and only off load bags as a last resort.

You might note the security cutoff at T5 is applied *after* checkin. And that the gate closure times are more rigorously enforced.

The airlines are a lot better at (a) not loading the bags until as a late as possible and (b) tracking that passengers have made it through the queue into security and © holding to the gate closure times.

Over 10 years ago your 'advice' would have pretty much stood. Increasingly these days the gate closes on time and you don't get on if you don't make it. And chances are increasingly that if that happens your bags didn't get offloaded because they were never loaded.

You might note the security cutoff at T5 is applied *after* checkin. And that the gate closure times are more rigorously enforced.

The airlines are a lot better at (a) not loading the bags until as a late as possible and (b) tracking that passengers have made it through the queue into security and © holding to the gate closure times.

Over 10 years ago your 'advice' would have pretty much stood. Increasingly these days the gate closes on time and you don't get on if you don't make it. And chances are increasingly that if that happens your bags didn't get offloaded because they were never loaded.

Gate closes usually 20 mins prior to departure, by then the bags will be in a container and most likely onboard the aircraft.

But I'm not advising anyone turns up at 45 mins prior to departure, as I say above a couple of hours is a happy medium against the minimum allowed check in time and the 4 hours that is appearing on cruise docs.

Edited by richleeds

Gate closes usually 20 mins prior to departure, by then the bags will be in a container and most likely onboard the aircraft.

You've missed the point of those 20 minutes.

It's often to allow the bags to be loaded.

Where possible the bags are increasingly reconciled with the passengers prior to the bags being loaded.

I will repeat. I think your advice is poor. I would be concerned that anybody might read your posts and make false assumptions about the likely risks and outcome.

You've missed the point of those 20 minutes.

It's often to allow the bags to be loaded.

Where possible the bags are increasingly reconciled with the passengers prior to the bags being loaded.

I will repeat. I think your advice is poor. I would be concerned that anybody might read your posts and make false assumptions about the likely risks and outcome.

The loaders start at around 40 mins prior to departure. Cargo first if carried, bags second then finally any live cargo.

But prior to this the bags are in containers, which start to get loaded as people check in.

The gate closes at T minus 20 and the aircraft should be ready to pushback at 5 mins to departure so that would leave a 15 minute window to load over 500 bags on an A380 - really?!

If anyone reads my posts they will see I state 2 hours as being a sensible check in time, so I think we can all sleep safely tonight without too much concern.

Sweet dreams.

The gate closes at T minus 20 and the aircraft should be ready to pushback at 5 mins to departure so that would leave a 15 minute window to load over 500 bags on an A380 - really?!

The timing depends on location, operator, and aircraft type. Many aircraft still don't use pallets. There are very few A380s in the world compared with other types.

The bottom line is ... if you have checked in your bags there is no magic guarantee that if you fail to meet the critical times for passsing through the initial security queues and reaching the gate that you will not be offloaded. The chances of a flight being held in the circumstances suggested are diminishing year on year.

If anyone reads my posts they will see I state 2 hours as being a sensible check in time, so I think we can all sleep safely tonight without too much concern.

That was NOT the only advice on offer.

Otherwise I would not have felt it was so important to respond so firmly.

Edited by Dryce

Hi all

Ha ha. Same as us 10 mins from Glasgow airport and you are so right. Quickest 3 hours. Just flies in.

of course airports want you there spending money but they don't send out your tickets etc and its a big generalisation and rather offensive to older people. Of course they have a choice. They're not stupid...they perhaps enjoy the experience of being at the airport in plenty time.

Just had flight details emailed stating check in 4hrs before flight. What is that all about? Never cruised with P&O before but flown all over the world with all different airlines, Budget to Majors & never had to be at the airport that early. Am I reading it incorrectly? If not what is the reason?

That is the time the check in desk opens, not the final check in time. Unfortunately, unlike scheduled flights, P&O charter flights do not publish the latter. I suspect hover, that the final check in will be about one hour before take off - but don't bank on it. Allow two hours to be safe.

• 1 month later...

What is the reason for the 4 hour check in time on our upcoming T. Cook flight from Manchester to Barbados? Love to hear from someone with recent experience. Is there a problem with security? For our flight from Manchester to Doha last October checked in about two and a half hours before departure time and it was fine. We have upgraded our current flight to Barbados to Premium seats; will this make a difference? Also, has anyone any experience with the Fast Track security check. Did it prove to be useful? Any information very much appreciated.

What is the reason for the 4 hour check in time on our upcoming T. Cook flight from Manchester to Barbados? Love to hear from someone with recent experience. Is there a problem with security? For our flight from Manchester to Doha last October checked in about two and a half hours before departure time and it was fine. We have upgraded our current flight to Barbados to Premium seats; will this make a difference? Also, has anyone any experience with the Fast Track security check. Did it prove to be useful? Any information very much appreciated.

There isn't a valid reason. 4 hours is ridiculous though some lemmings do follow this advice and turn up at 4 hours prior to scheduled departure.

Manchester security can be busy and more so during school holidays etc.

It's the only airport in the UK where Fast Track can have a longer queue than regular security!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are on the Thomas Cook flight from Manchester at 9 and you only have to listen to the traffic reports on Radio Manchester every morning to know that congestion starts soon after 6am and invariably there is an accident somewhere along the way. With no traffic I could get from home to the airport in twenty minutes but it could equally well take an hour and a half.

Do it frequently with 15 mins as a buffer never missed a flight.

Two problems ; if everyone did this the flight would be late, and of course it depends where you live. If you are flying from Gatwick it is easier to allow 15 minutes if you live in Crawley than if you live in Workington.