4 hrs at the airport

Shrimpy H

Manchester security can be busy and more so during school holidays etc.

It's the only airport in the UK where Fast Track can have a longer queue than regular security!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We arrived 4 hours early on our only trip to Manchester (I live in S. Norfolk and got a very good deal on a holiday via Manchester), we just had a very good run up A14/M6.

The airport was so badly run though that when we got through we had about 5 minutes to grab some sweets from the shop before we had to get on the plane. I dunno if it is always like that or we were just unlucky. The security worked very well, it was the check in that took hours.

I'm a frequent flyer and although I hate airport waiting time I generally allow 2 hours prior to flight for Checkin/bag drop off and security and there have been a couple of occasions when I have been late to the gate because of Immigration and Security delays. On one occasion at Birmingham Airport the Security Check too 90 minutes, and the Fast Pass queue wasn't much shorter, they very reluctantly let me through the gate for that flight. I do however get irritated when people hold up flights that I am on entailing the planes take off slot is missed, and always feel sorry for delayed passengers with connecting flights, unless their transit times are unreasonably short.

Unless traveling for work (early morning straight to the office) If I do find myself with time to spare at the airport I usually enjoy a glass of wine or champagne in one of the bars, after all I am on holiday :).

I would probably turn up at the airport about 2.5 hours before a cruise flight because I wouldn't want to risk missing the ship, extra time, extra glass of wine :)

These days we mostly go to the airport the night before, stay in an airport hotel, check in early, have a leisurely breakfast and a wander in duty free if we have a chance. On the occasions we have gone up to Gatwick the morning of the flight - means leaving home around 3am - we would rather allow the recommended 4 hours, get our luggage checked in - and yes if you are in premium there is a separate check in for those passengers and we have rarely had to wait - then we go through security - which can take ages - and then go and have breakfast.

We would much rather be at Gatwick, enjoying breakfast than stuck in a traffic jam, worrying about if we are going to arrive in time. It's never bothered us spending time at the airport before flying. I know you get given breakfast on the plane if it's an early flight but this can be over two hours after boarding and if you haven't had breakfast in the airport that can be a long time to wait.

Oh dear lord, imagine the chaos if we all turned up at check in with minutes to spare, all 300+ of us........there would be one almighty queue, yes? We'd all have something to complain about then; everyone blaming everyone else for their stupidity and inconsideration at turning up 'late'.

Personally we arrive approx 2 hrs before flight departure; check in calmly; head for passport control, strip and then re-dress; head straight to the lounge. Feet up, wine glass in hand (irrespective of the hour - I'm on holiday time!). It's simple really.