One Day in Auckland . . .

puddles99

We will be disembarking the Norwegian Star in Auckland on Saturday, February 18th but do not fly home until the next morning. I'm currently thinking of booking a hotel near the airport since our flight out is at 7:30am.

We're looking for a "grand finale" tour and would be up for anything from ziplining to wine tasting. Are there any private tours that you would recommend to give us an experience to remember in Auckland and/or the surrounding area? In a perfect world, we would be picked up at the port with our baggage and dropped at our hotel at the end of our touring day.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

There is very little for a tourist out at the airport. The taxi ride at the time of the morning you would leave from the CBD for example will take less than 30 min (closer to 20 min). I'd stay in the CBD and so have access to plenty of nice restaurants for after what you choose to do during the day.

I agree, stay somewhere in the city so that it is easy to do whatever sightseeing you want. In the evening go for a walk around the Viaduct Basin and Wynyard Precinct - plenty good restaurants and bars there.

If you can get off the ship as early as possible I'd suggest dropping your luggage at your hotel (they will store it for you until your room is ready). Then head back to the waterfront and catch a ferry to Waikehe Island. You should be able to arrange a tour there for sightseeing and wine-tasting.

I'm sure if you search through this forum you will find some recommendations for Waiheke tours.

We will be disembarking the Norwegian Star in Auckland on Saturday, February 18th but do not fly home until the next morning. I'm currently thinking of booking a hotel near the airport since our flight out is at 7:30am.

We're looking for a "grand finale" tour and would be up for anything from ziplining to wine tasting. Are there any private tours that you would recommend to give us an experience to remember in Auckland and/or the surrounding area? In a perfect world, we would be picked up at the port with our baggage and dropped at our hotel at the end of our touring day.

if you want a real experience try Bungee Jumping off the Auckland Harbour Bridge. I walk under it every day and the screams can be heard for miles!

I do agree though, stay in the CBD, the airport will offer very little in the way of scenic enjoyment.

Enjoy Auckland - be it sailing in an americas cup boat, walking the viaduct - the Auckland Memorial museum or bungee jumping.

Edited by roscoe39

There is a zip line on Waiheke Island. I have not done it so can not recommend it , but if you google zip line Waiheke Island you could check it out.

It would depend on your time frame, I believe they offer a package, but it would need to be be prebooked.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the suggestions - CBD it is! I'll do some more research on the other ideas as well. Thank you!

Super glad you are focused for staying down in the CBD. Lots of activities and options down there and nearby. From my live/blog connected below you can see many more options, plus from some of those pictures shown at the bottom.

Yes, Waiheke Island can be wonderful. So much to see and do there, especially if you like wine, art, nature, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 156,822 views for this posting.

Auckland is a big, urban city with about 1.5 million people. About a third of the whole country’s population is here. It has a very diverse population with many from various areas of the South Pacific, plus settling from many key parts of Asia, including China and India. We really enjoyed the variety of architecture styles and building, including a nice mix of new and older. Here only one of my visual samples to prove it. Notice in the first picture a cute reflection off of one of the building glass walls. Also, lots of big, known international corporations have offices here.:

AucklandAddedA2_zpsc1628e09.jpg

Here is a view of the Auckland downtown with its many high-rise buildings, the SkyTower, etc. These locations make for nice pictures of those in our group. From one of the many nice eastern beaches and vista points, you can see the SkyTower and other locations seen in the background.:

AucklandArtOneA25_zpsc7243804.jpg

From Mt. Eden, here is a little unique picture of Auckland's Harbor Bridge. These trees frame this key section of its bridge in an interesting manner. Clearly, the Sydney bridge has attracted more fame and glory than this one in Auckland.:

AucklandArtOneA28_zps3a27f644.jpg

Auckland’s Art Gallery is a mix of the new structure and an older, more traditional building. Here is one of the most loved paintings in its collection. They have older, two-story gallery that has most of its collection focused on historic NZ, the Maori connections, etc. Some of these items date back to the 1700's. Our guide in the tour noted that most of the paintings involving Maori history were fictional for how the actual events were depicted. Looked good, but not accurate, nor close. This museum had a great collection of portraits of Maori tribe leaders. We were not permitted to take any pictures in that area.:

AucklandAddedA17_zps4d7d49e6.jpg

From having our final breakfast on the back of the Solstice at the Oceanview Cafe, here is the view of Auckland's historic Ferry Building, plus some other key downtown buildings. This docking area is super handy for having quick and easy access to the city. But, this port area can be very, very congested, especially with lots of luggage after such a long, 14-day cruise.:

AucklandArtOneA27_zps83c1d4c3.jpg

Here one of the many great views from nearby Waiheke Island. Lots of varied hills and great water views, including this picture showing the twisting and turning roads on this island. Some paved. Many not. This shows one of those "unsealed" roads that requires slow speeds, much care, etc.. Unsealed is clever term to describe just a basic dirt road. Plus, the fun of driving on the "wrong side". This island has many interesting wine and food options, plus art, beaches, etc. It is just a short ferry ride away from Auckland and can be a fun, different day-trip.:

AucklandArtOneA19_zps0020de25.jpg

Here are some more options below to consider for Auckland and nearby. Let us know any added questions, info needs, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 217,547 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

One of our first stops after getting off of the Solstice, was going to the top of Mount Eden with this view of both its main downtown, plus this huge crater from volcano action here many, many thousands of years ago.:

AucklandArtOneA29_zps48afe89d.jpg

In one of Auckland's many grand parks, they have this large War Memorial Museum building. It has lots of historic info from the NZ contributions to world warfare efforts. Its website is: http://www.aucklandmuseum.com.:

AucklandArtOneA24_zps1aa8c3e9.jpg

Here is the sail-out view with the NZ flag on the left side of the Fuller Ferry as we head to Waiheke Island on Tuesday morning. Only a 35-minute ride there, allowing some to live there and commute into this nearby, urban center.:

AucklandArtOneA21_zps59684e0d.jpg

Here is a picture from Waiheke Island's two kilometer stretch of white sand on Onetangi Beach. This is my wife walking and enjoying its fresh air, nice sand, great breezes, etc., to enjoy this nice setting before our return to Auckland.:

AucklandArtOneA_zpsacc28fb3.jpg

At the Man O' War Winery on Waiheke Island near Auckland, their main building was overlooking the beach as a part of its scenic location. This picture shows friends Ed and Karen from Central Ohio enjoying a tasting plate with a variety of good food items, plus, of course, their wine that is produced on this scenic island. Great way to do a "lunch break" and soak up the style, character and beauty for this artsy island. Their website: http://www.manowarvineyards.co.nz.:

AucklandArtOneA23_zps0543f9e9.jpg

From O'Connell Street Bistro in Auckland that we super enjoyed, here is just visual of a entree. They are at 3 O'Connell Street, Auckland Central. From Travel Advisor, it is ranked #18 of 1,084 restaurants in that town. Their website is: http://www.oconnellstbistro.com Look good? Our experience here was outstanding!! All four of us enjoyed this dining star.:

ConnerBistro12_zpsf627145d.jpg