Great Barrier Reef cruise vs. NZ out of Sydney

Erikamac

If you want to see the reef then you could easily do both.

For example, do the cruise to NZ and then add on at least a couple of days in Australia. Fly from Sydney to Cairns (you might then drive to Port Douglas if you want to) and then take an excursion out to the reef.

Which one? Both look great Australia NZ is on my bucket list we are in our late 30s/40. Thanks.

Yes, BOTH are great and each is very different. It's a long way from Wisconsin and the Midwest to get there. Do more while in that part of the world to make things more time efficient.

For the easier logistics and time-staging, I would suggest doing somewhat we did and as detailed below in my live/blog. Have your cruise be between Sydney and Auckland (or the reverse). That give you a decent amount of depth for New Zealand, plus some sampling for Sydney and/or Tasmania/Melbourne, etc. Then either before or after your cruise go to Cairns by an air flight, have three, four or five days in that NW Aussie area for the reef, rainforest, R&R from your long flights, etc..

Are those areas fun, exciting and interesting? YES! See a few samples of my photo "evidence" as proof in the Court of Traveler Opinion!!

Added questions and info needs? Go to my live/blog and post there. That way I will best be able to see your questions, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 155,884 views for this posting.

The Kuranda rail trip took us back a different routing, plus lots of interesting scenery, dramatic waterfalls, major engineering work, many train tunnels, big bridges, etc. The rail line dates back to 1891. For our group of six, we did the upgrade to the "gold" rail seating with plenty of wine, nice food/snacks, etc., in a wonderful, old-style rail car with great service and attention by the staff The great company and nice sights (plus the flowing wine), made it very much fun on a day with on and off patches of rain.:

RailRainforestTrip5_zpsb5f3a226.jpg

From the Daintree Rainforest and National Park near Cairns, Australia, here are two samples of our exploring there. We did a somewhat challenging 1.43 miles circular hike in the deep, deep of this dramatic rainforest. Lots of rocks, up and down paths, twists and turns, hard work, etc., as this picture illustrates. But we survived!! Even at our ages. Our group crossed the Mossman Gorge on a fairly long swinging bridge. Not Indiana Jones, but for us it was super spectacular. Here is one of my favorite pictures as it show John in our group looking at one of these huge trees in the middle of this rainforest and contemplating its majesty, size and history. And I told John, the picture shows his more photogenic side!:

PixRainFampPDouglas4_zpsc488581a.jpg

PixRainFampPDouglas5_zps27db0023.jpg

This picture gives a little sampling for Port Douglas. Here and in many of these towns that get lots of rain, they have covered walkways in the towns to protect people from the rain and/or sun. Got to shop?? Plenty of opportunities here!! Plus, good places to eat.:

PixRainFampPDouglas10_zps080f48b3.jpg

For the Great Barrier Reef, we chartered a plane and flew out from Cairns to Lizard Island, one of the most isolated locations in Australia. Chief Pilot Greg has done about 2200 trips to this location and really knows it well. Here we are on the beach getting his briefing for snorkeling in these reef areas right off of this location/beach. Yes, we saw real lizards here when we walked from the landing strip to our beach location. Captain Cook named this island because when he landed, he saw so many lizards!! Had a wonderful lunch on the beach. On the way to Lizard Island, we flew our over the edge of the reef to better understand this amazing 1500-mile long natural wonder, how it works, etc.:

GBRLizIsland23_zps64a7a569.jpg

For our snorkeling, I got to try out my new Nikon AW110 underwater camera. Shot about 260 underwater pictures. Here is one quick sample below. More visuals and details on the full live/blog.:

GBRLizIslanReef1_zpsd2288c6f.jpg

The GBR cruise on celebrity is in March, isn't this the rainy season and a bad time??

Yes, the weather in the GBR area in March is hot, humid and often rainy. According to the Port Douglas tourism website, the average high temperature in PD is 85 F (29.5 C)with a humidity of 78% and average monthly rainfall of 16.5 inches (424 mm).

But of even more concern is the fact that March is in the midst of stinger season. (Stinger is the general name given to a variety of deadly jellyfish.) Stingers aren't much of an issue at the Reef itself, but you are required to wear the Lycra stinger suits provided by the boat. You cannot swim off the beach during stinger season except within the confines of a stinger net and, advisably, wearing a stinger suit.

If you think this may be your only opportunity to snorkel at the GBR, then go in March. Just be aware of the weather and stinger conditions.

Don't let these comments put you off FNQ. There is so much more to see up here than just the GBR. The stinger suits are to protect you from the jellyfish but as everyone has them on you don't feel silly. Use Mr Google and have a look at all you can see and do up here....there is lots and you will want to come back once you've been here!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Don't let these comments put you off FNQ. There is so much more to see up here than just the GBR. The stinger suits are to protect you from the jellyfish but as everyone has them on you don't feel silly. Use Mr Google and have a look at all you can see and do up here....there is lots and you will want to come back once you've been here!

Appreciate and agree with the above post from this Cairns resident. From our early 2014 visit' date=' things were warm, but [b']not anything terrible or that bad[/b]. In the rainforest, that shade cools things somewhat. Near the coast and water, there is a type of cooling that helps. We super loved this wonderful area from our four days there. Don't miss it and/or be scared away by a few people being unhappy and/or having bad luck with the weather.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 156,055 views for this posting.