Beach near port with toddler

TOPSTER

I am looking for an inexpensive and easy option for a beach trip in cozumel. We are thinking something near the port would be great.

We have a 3 year old child so a park or just shallow waters would be great.

ThankYou

I am looking for an inexpensive and easy option for a beach trip in cozumel. We are thinking something near the port would be great.

We have a 3 year old child so a park or just shallow waters would be great.

ThankYou

There are three ports in Cozumel. I know you have asked this question before and not sure what replies you received already?

To recommend something "near to port" we would need to know which pier or at least ship and sailing date

I'm sorry I did not realise there was more than one port.

We will be travelling on the carnival splendor and docking on 19th April to cozumel at 8am but I don't know how to find out which port.

Thanks

I'm sorry I did not realise there was more than one port.

We will be travelling on the carnival splendor and docking on 19th April to cozumel at 8am but I don't know how to find out which port.

Thanks

It would appear that you are scheduled to dock at Puerta Maya

http://www.puertamaya.com/port-schedule.aspx

This is one of the two piers south of town.

My suggestion if you don't want to deal with expense or inconvenience of taxi would be to exit the pier and walk left (towards town) for 10-15 minutes to Park Royal Hotel. The hotel lobby is on the other side of the road but you should walk Oceanside if you have a stroller since the sidewalk us very uneven on the other side.

You can purchase an AI day pass in the lobby for $40pp per adult, no charge under 5. Food and drink available from 11-6pm. We arrived about 10.15am, after breakfast on board, and could use facilities, towels provided, but no food and drink until 11am.You can use facilities of children's club but must stay with child under 5. There is a child pool with slides (not really high but not tiny) and you can use their balls, buckets, spades etc. We played at the children's pool for a while, swam in lovely pool with swim-up bar for a while, took buffet lunch at inside restaurant (welcome break from heat). There are snack bars on the beach - Take a tunnel from hotel under road to small beach area with two more pools. We spent some time here in the afternoon, shallow entry into water and digging in sand.

We did this recently with a 4 year old and had a very convenient day. Easy to walk back to ship when you have finished. We were at International Pier - Puerta Maya is a little further away but still manageable I would think with a stroller.

Edited by c-leg5

It would appear that you are scheduled to dock at Puerta Maya

http://www.puertamaya.com/port-schedule.aspx

This is one of the two piers south of town.

My suggestion if you don't want to deal with expense or inconvenience of taxi would be to exit the pier and walk left (towards town) for 10-15 minutes to Park Royal Hotel. The hotel lobby is on the other side of the road but you should walk Oceanside if you have a stroller since the sidewalk us very uneven on the other side.

You can purchase an AI day pass in the lobby for $40pp per adult, no charge under 5. Food and drink available from 11-6pm. We arrived about 10.15am, after breakfast on board, and could use facilities, towels provided, but no food and drink until 11am.You can use facilities of children's club but must stay with child under 5. There is a child pool with slides (not really high but not tiny) and you can use their balls, buckets, spades etc. We played at the children's pool for a while, swam in lovely pool with swim-up bar for a while, took buffet lunch at inside restaurant (welcome break from heat). There are snack bars on the beach - Take a tunnel from hotel under road to small beach area with two more pools. We spent some time here in the afternoon, shallow entry into water and digging in sand.

We did this recently with a 4 year old and had a very convenient day. Easy to walk back to ship when you have finished. We were at International Pier - Puerta Maya is a little further away but still manageable I would think with a stroller.

I will be in a similar situation, only on Royal Caribbean. Are there any free beaches nearby whichever port (International, still?) RC docks at? Or failing that, some options similar to what C-Leg described?

Thanks in advance!

(First time posting - I hope I did it right...)

I will be in a similar situation, only on Royal Caribbean. Are there any free beaches nearby whichever port (International, still?) RC docks at? Or failing that, some options similar to what C-Leg described?

Thanks in advance!

(First time posting - I hope I did it right...)

Welcome to CC!

Yes, we were on Royal Caribbean and International pier is the pier that they use. Park Royal is about a 5-10 minute walk.

We found Park Royal to be an excellent, easy day with the 4-year old. I had looked around the property on a previous visit but we hadn't felt previously our port times were long enough to warrant the late start of the AI so when it is just my husband and I we either taxi to a beach bar to the south, or the other alternative literally next door to International, as you exit to the left, is the El Cid hotel.

It has been some time since we visited El Cid but they used to do an AI day pass of, maybe $55 and a $20 pass, which entitled you to use facilities and gave you $10/15? credit back towards food and beverage. You would need to check with lobby for current pricing. The facilities are not nearly as nice for a little one at El Cid and we do not consider the AI day pass good value but we have taken the less expensive one a couple of times for a few hours off the ship. El Cid does have a small swimming pool, man made sandy areas for loungers and a very small sandy cove for splashing and digging depending on how old your child is.

Failing that you would need to walk quite a bit further towards town to reach Sunset bar or La Palapita for PAYG service.

Playa Mia is a great beach club for toddlers, including a kiddie water park, pool, nice beach, good facilities, etc. Check their web site for various packages or sometimes you can book through the ship.

Paradise Beach is the other obvious suggestion - pay-as-you-go, $3 admission/chair rental, HUGE pool, nice beach, great facilities plus good food/drinks/service.

Both will be about a $15-17 cab ride from the pier (fare covers up to 4 passengers in the cab).

Playa Mia is a great beach club for toddlers, including a kiddie water park, pool, nice beach, good facilities, etc. Check their web site for various packages or sometimes you can book through the ship.

Paradise Beach is the other obvious suggestion - pay-as-you-go, $3 admission/chair rental, HUGE pool, nice beach, great facilities plus good food/drinks/service.

Both will be about a $15-17 cab ride from the pier (fare covers up to 4 passengers in the cab).

Good family places. We have also enjoyed day pass to Allegro - smaller, quieter, dedicated splash ground for little ones.

However the OP asked for somewhere near the port, sometimes you just don't want to bother with transport issues with a little one, or you don't want to be out in the heat as long.

Edited by c-leg5

C-Leg, you are awesome! We checked out the (Grand?) Park Royal a bit more last night, and it looks like it'll be perfect for us. Thanks for helping us plan out our vacation!

You are welcome, I hope you enjoy!

Just a word of warning in case you are not aware - most if not all AI's in Cozumel have timeshare agents. I have stayed at AI's and am familiar with and was prepared to say no. Old reviews on here reported being approached by timeshare agents. I don't know if it was because of the demographic of our group, grandma/daughter/grandson, but I can honestly report we were never approached once throughout the resort. (Just preparing you in case you are approached so it doesn't take you by surprise.) If you are not interested just say you only have a few hours off the ship you don't want it taken up with a timeshare presentation. Also buy your pass in the lobby (which incidentally seems to have increased to $50 ppl according to another thread) and not at the reduced price from the booth on the ocean side of the street, just passed El Cid, which I am fairly sure is a timeshare booth.

Enjoy!