Scotland, Ireland, and Wales

Is there a cruise to these islands, preferably from London, in 2009? I have gone to some websites, but can't find one. Thanks.

If your cruiseship has an all day stop in Liverpool, which the Grand does have, then you can take an all day tour which goes to Wales and also Chester.

We are doing that on our June 7th cruise on the Grand Princess.

Is there a cruise to these islands, preferably from London, in 2009?
Don't forget to look at ports other than London. Relatively few large ship cruises start or finish in London. You need to look at Dover, Harwich and Southampton as well.

It is so sad to see that most cruise lines have stopped calling into Holyhead. I live just across from the port and it is lovely to see the ships moored outside the port. In previous years we have had Princess, Celebrity, Fred Olsen, Saga. This year we only have 3 ships calling,Jewel Of The Seas being one, the main reason they have stopped calling is the fact that you have to be tendered, and the weather in the Irish Sea can be very unpredictable. Hopefully we will have a terminal and berth alongside by 2010, but by then ship swill be used to calling into Liverpool. There is so much to see here in North Wales, Snowdonia national Park, the castles in Caernarvon, Conway,Beaumaris, or just to take in the Welsh culture and hospitality. Come on cruise lines give us onother chance.

Thank you, everyone, for all the ideas. It was hard for me to find cruises a year ahead of time. I had found one Princess Cruise, but had not discovered the Fred Olsen cruises. Welshlass, it seems like it would be good for someone to work with the Cruise Lines to do a test shore excursion to your area and see how it goes. I believe that ports with heavy ship traffic become deluged with tourists, and the ones off the beaten path are true jewels.

I would consider leaving from towns other than London and had Southampton and parts of Ireland on the list, but I would love to spend a little time in London too.

It is so sad to see that most cruise lines have stopped calling into Holyhead. I live just across from the port and it is lovely to see the ships moored outside the port. In previous years we have had Princess, Celebrity, Fred Olsen, Saga. This year we only have 3 ships calling,Jewel Of The Seas being one, the main reason they have stopped calling is the fact that you have to be tendered, and the weather in the Irish Sea can be very unpredictable. Hopefully we will have a terminal and berth alongside by 2010, but by then ship swill be used to calling into Liverpool. There is so much to see here in North Wales, Snowdonia national Park, the castles in Caernarvon, Conway,Beaumaris, or just to take in the Welsh culture and hospitality. Come on cruise lines give us onother chance.

I so agree ..Holyhead was one of the prettiest and one of our favourite ports. I would love to see the beautiful Snowdonias again dotted with precariously balanced sheep and sweet little Swallow Falls. I wish the lines would include it again as well as Kirkwall and the amazing Orkney Islands!!

We are booked for this July 3 2008 on the Holland America Prinsendam for a 14 night Cruise called Celtic Kingdoms out of Amsterdam to Newcastle , Edinburgh, Invergordon,Douglas Isle of Man,Belfast Ireland,Liverpool,Dublin,Dunmore East Waterford,Milford Haven Wales, Guernsey Channel Islands, and ending in Dover England.

There is still some room its not to late .

Come join the fun.

I wish it were me on a cruise that day, but I think it's Johanna7!

Okay, I will when I return home. Warts and all. We may get lucky and there aren't any of those.

Leaving for UK in exactly 2 weeks from this evening.

Johanna

Johanna,

Yes, tell us everything. Are you packed and ready to go?

What is the difference between the three lines that have been mentioned-i.e. Holland America, Fred Olsen, and Princess? Anyone been on all three? (BTW we just got back from a cruise to Italy and Croatia, so my husband is a long way from ready to go on another, but thanks for the invite!)

Johanna,

Yes, tell us everything. Are you packed and ready to go?

What is the difference between the three lines that have been mentioned-i.e. Holland America, Fred Olsen, and Princess? Anyone been on all three? (BTW we just got back from a cruise to Italy and Croatia, so my husband is a long way from ready to go on another, but thanks for the invite!)

KCCruiser

Yes, I will tell everything that I can think of when we return. As for the differences between the 3 lines, The Prinsendam is a smaller ship and maybe a bit more upscale. It also goes to Amsterdam as well as LeHavre. It is 14 days long. The Princess Grand is a huge ship and can accommodate 2,700 passengers but is mostly British isles except for Le Havre. It is 12 days.

Fred Olsen has a 7 day cruise which is very pricey and doesn't visit as many ports of course. It is a Norwegian cruise line.

One thing about Princess and HAL, for sure your electricals will be geared for North Americans. I am not sure about Fred Olsen. Their cabins also seem to be very small unless you get a balcony cabin or suite. They also have a cruise that visits some British Isles and also goes to Iceland.

Anyway, I will write a review about the cruise and the ports we visit. Of course we will not be on all the tours or do everything on board. As the cruise is very port intensive, we will have an early dinner (anytime) and maybe a show and then off to bed in order to be fresh for the next day of visiting the various ports.

Johanna

Marco Polo is now run by Transoceantours of Germany & this year has a season sailing out of Tilbury (London) around UK & Ireland. Do not think 09 itinerary has been announced yet but this years are a good selection (but no Wales), we are booked on end of July one this year.

Minke, will you send a report on your cruise? The Prisendam cruise looks great. Five* dining will be very nice. You're right: I would like to spend more time than the Fred Olsen cruise allows. What about the Princess cruise? It looks interesting too.

When I mentioned the idea to my husband yesterday, he asked me if it goes to Wales, so I am not the only one interested in going there, Welshlassie!

• 4 weeks later...

the British isels are very small and easy to get around by train and plane (cheap no frills services and BA are also reasonablE) compared to the US.if you can't find a cruise that takes in all 4 countries, then stay a few days before or after and take it the other places. Edinburgh has cruises leaving from it's fairly new Terminal at Leith. Continental now have a daily flight from newark to Edinburgh. It's a fantastic city (OK I'm biased). You can fly to belfast in 40 minutes from it, Dublin in 55 mins, cardiff about an hour and London about 70 minutes. This might give you a fe more options. Sothhampton and Dover have loads of cruises leaving from them but are a bit of a trail from heathrow (2hours by trin from central london to Dover). Edinburgh's port is only 2 miles form the city centre.

• 2 weeks later...

Better late than never :)

You could also look at the Polar Star which is doing a Dartmouth - Oban cruise in May 2009.

Again sadly not calling at Wales (though I'm sure it used to) In fact I'm sure she used to do a complete circuit of the UK but that does not seem to be on offer now.

My thumbs go up to the Marco Polo ship amentioned earlier having sailed on her when she was part of the NCL empire. Can not remeber what her new name is though :(

Kevin

Hi, kevin1503, and welcome to CC!

My thumbs go up to the Marco Polo ship amentioned earlier having sailed on her when she was part of the NCL empire. Can not remeber what her new name is though
It's Marco Polo!

I saw her docked at Kirkwall last Sunday, although only from a distance.

That sounds like a good idea. We probably will fly in a few days early. I would really want to cover as much as possible. What ships are leaving from the new terminal at Edinburgh?

Fred Olse, Azamara, Slversea, Saga, Voyages of Discovery. Some of the cruises are norway and Shetland Islands, although the Balck Prince and Azamara have loads of stops around the UK including the Channel or Siciliy Isles. If ypu go to Porttime.com and select various UK ports it shows which ships are calling each month. If you then click on the ship's name, you can see what the itinerary is.

Hi Globalizer

THanks for that. I'm sure i'd read somewhere that the ship was going to have a name change when it changed hands.

It's good to know it's stayed the same. I think its a great name for a ship with o much charm and ability to explore places. :)

I had a great time going up the amazon in her a few years back.

Kevin

Archived