Suggestions for a hot Sunday in Rome

epixx

Hi All Experts!

We are a family of 4 with a young adult and teen. We have no mobility limitations and arrive at Civitavecchia port on a hot Sunday in August. Can you suggest some activities for this type day, other than eating gelato and drinking water from the fountains?

We have visited St. Peter's and Vatican Museums (closed anyway), Colosseum (including Underground) and Forum, Villa and Galleria Borghese, Trastevere and Jewish Ghetto, Castel Sant Angelo, Villa Farnesina, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain.

We are considering Capitoline Museum (? is it air conditioned), but I don't think that will take us more than 1-1.5 hours. ?catacombs: not sure about this one, as one member of our party tends to be claustrophobic.

We're open to history or nature and lots of walking.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Since it is a Sunday -- you could rent bikes and ride along the Appia Antica. Sundays it is closed to most vehicular traffic. And if you are there you could also visit one of the catacombs. (I recall one of the catacombs has a nice, partially shaded garden outside where the claustrophobic member could wait, if this appeals.)

There are some other "underground" sites to see but not necessarily close together so you'd have to do some walking (or get another mode of transportation). The church of San Clemente, the Roman houses under the Church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo, the Citta dell'Acqua near Trevi fountain.

The National museum near Termini has a lot to see (like the Capitoline museum it focuses on ancient Rome) and I think it is air-conditioned but I couldn't swear to it (I usually visit in the cool months). The same ticket would also allow you to visit the remains of the Baths of Diocletian, across the street (worth it to visit the huge hall that now is home to several preserved Roman tombs of different eras).

The Janiculum Hill might be worth exploring. I've read that because it's high, you sometimes get a bit of a breeze (if there is one).

The National museum near Termini has a lot to see (like the Capitoline museum it focuses on ancient Rome) and I think it is air-conditioned but I couldn't swear to it (I usually visit in the cool months). The same ticket would also allow you to visit the remains of the Baths of Diocletian, across the street (worth it to visit the huge hall that now is home to several preserved Roman tombs of different eras).

Cynthia stole my recommendation!:)

The National Museum by Termini has excellent a/c and is very large and stocked full of wonderful treasures. (Rick Steves' Rome guidebook provides a nice inside tour.) Topped off by a visit to the Baths of Diocletian and you have a nice leisurely and cool day.

Edited by CintiPam

Thank you for the excellent suggestions, everyone. Although we considered visiting somewhere outside Rome, the limitations on Sunday car rentals from Civitavecchia make us inclined to revisit the city, itself. The National Museum/Baths of Diocletian plan sounds like a winner. And gelato, of course.

Hi All Experts!

We are a family of 4 with a young adult and teen. We have no mobility limitations and arrive at Civitavecchia port on a hot Sunday in August. Can you suggest some activities for this type day, other than eating gelato and drinking water from the fountains?

We have visited St. Peter's and Vatican Museums (closed anyway), Colosseum (including Underground) and Forum, Villa and Galleria Borghese, Trastevere and Jewish Ghetto, Castel Sant Angelo, Villa Farnesina, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain.

We are considering Capitoline Museum (? is it air conditioned), but I don't think that will take us more than 1-1.5 hours. ?catacombs: not sure about this one, as one member of our party tends to be claustrophobic.

We're open to history or nature and lots of walking.

Thanks for the suggestions.

THe Borghese Gallery on a hot Sunday afternoon is quite refreshing.......Afterwards, you can stroll the Gardens. But, you do need tix reservations for the Gallery....