Amsterdam Ijmuiden cruise port-questions!

Our cruise will be embarking from the Amsterdam "Ijmuiden" cruise port. We will be flying in two days prior to the cruise and need advice. We would prefer to use public transportation wherever possible, as we travel on the lighter side and prefer to save money where we can without a huge sacrifice of comfort. I am unfamiliar with transport options to both downtown Amsterdam and then to Ijmuiden.

Would we be better off staying at an airport hotel and then taking the train into Amsterdam to sightsee, then back and then to Ijmuiden the next day for the cruise, or would it be more convenient to just stay downtown, and if so how would we get to Ijmuiden from downtown?

thanks!

We stayed a couple night at the airport Ibis and took the train into Amsterdam just for a day. Train service from the airport to the central train station is very frequent and convenient. The airport is pretty much half way between IJmuiden and Amsterdam.

Since the airport has a large train station, it would not surprise me if you could find a train to IJmuiden from there as well. We drove to Amsterdam and left the car at the IJmuiden cruise terminal.

Unfortunately there is no trainstation in IJmuiden, also the ferry between Amsterdam and IJmuiden isnot sailing anymore.

Best and most simple will be the busshuttle that you cruiseline will be offering.

Public transport is a bit complicated. You can check by using this website: http://9292.nl/en#

In case you stay at the airport, you can take a bus to Haarlem and transfer to another bus to IJmuiden. Details on the website given.

Also on this other posting you will find more information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1775659&highlight=ijmuiden

Be aware that in general buses have little or no space for suitcases or much luggage.

Our cruise will be embarking from the Amsterdam "Ijmuiden" cruise port. We will be flying in two days prior to the cruise and need advice. We would prefer to use public transportation wherever possible, as we travel on the lighter side and prefer to save money where we can without a huge sacrifice of comfort. I am unfamiliar with transport options to both downtown Amsterdam and then to Ijmuiden.

Would we be better off staying at an airport hotel and then taking the train into Amsterdam to sightsee, then back and then to Ijmuiden the next day for the cruise, or would it be more convenient to just stay downtown, and if so how would we get to Ijmuiden from downtown?

thanks!

We stayed a total of four nights last year before and after our river cruise in Amsterdam at the Doubletree. It is right next door to the Amsterdam central train station and a wonderful base to sightsee Amsterdam. Easy and fast train ride from the airport.

We are boarding Prinsendam in May and I found that the #82 bus connects Amsterdam and the Ijmuiden port. While the port has not updated their website the bus info appears to be valid - http://www.felisonterminal.nl/images/FCT_public_buslines_2012.jpg

We will be trying to travel "Light," and hope that on Saturday morning the bus will not be very crowded heading to and from port.

Enjoy planning for your cruise!

PS: The "Fast ferry" mentioned in one of the links previously posted apparently stopped service at the end of 2013.

Edited by StartrainDD
Added PS

wow...thanks for such helpful information! I would prefer to stay in Amsterdam, rather than by the airport, and a bus sounds like a good solution. Thankfully the Prinsendam has self service laundry so we can do our best to travel light!

StartrainDD, please let me know how the bus worked out, and wishing you a wonderful trip!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

wow...thanks for such helpful information! I would prefer to stay in Amsterdam, rather than by the airport, and a bus sounds like a good solution. Thankfully the Prinsendam has self service laundry so we can do our best to travel light!

StartrainDD, please let me know how the bus worked out, and wishing you a wonderful trip!

The Prinsendam has self service laundry, no fee to use, no need to bring detergent! I asked on the HAL board because we will do the North Cape cruise in August.

HAL is using the Renaissance Marriott as their pre/post cruise hotel, it's near the Central train station. I have booked the hotel independently since we will arrive by train, but was able to book the HAL transfer from hotel to Ijmuiden, and then back to the airport for our return flight.

There is also a Holiday Inn at the port, but the logistics to get there on our own were just more than I was willing to face.

• 5 months later...
Indeed Regioliner busnr. 82 leaves from Amsterdam, but NOT from Centraal Station. It starts at Marnixstraat and through various stops also from Amsterdam Sloterdijk station.

http://connexxion.nl/dienstregeling/lijn?ID=N082&Richting=2&Datum=04042014&Tijd=1500

we are staying at the Marriott Hotel at Stadhouderskade 12 Amsterdam, 1054 ES Netherlands. What is the best way to go to the hotel and then from hotel to the Cruise port?

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

we are staying at the Marriott Hotel at Stadhouderskade 12 Amsterdam, 1054 ES Netherlands. What is the best way to go to the hotel and then from hotel to the Cruise port?

I assume you want to go from the airport to your hotel. Check this shuttle door to door service: http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/

From your hotel directly to IJmuiden by cab will cost you around E. 75.- check prices with your hotel again.

Or take a cab to the Renaissance Hotel, just a short ride away. (public transport by tram is also possible, depending how much luggage you carry and donot mind to walk a small distance). HAL offers shuttles from Renaissance to IJmuiden cruise terminal.

Or this public bus from Marnixstraat to IJmuiden is possible, again be prepared to walk some distance with luggage.