Don't Miss Excursions = ?

cruise4sun&fun

Hi all.

1st post ever.

Going northbound out Vancouver next June (2015) with stops in Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway & Seward. Looking for recommendations for don't miss tours.

Interested in a fishing trip, flight seeing (plane or copter), a whale watching tour & a place for some excellent seafood. Just not sure which ports are best for each excursion during the middle of June.

Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS! :):):)

Just got back and my personal recommendations are Whale Watching in Juneau (with Capt Larry) and Snorkeling in Ketchikan!!! We booked both tours independeant from the ship based on recommendations on these boards and were extremely pleased!

Welcome to the forum!

I would encourage you to read thru trip reports to gain information on excursions, vendors, sights and activities at each port. Lots of first-hand recommendations ! People want different experiences from a vendor so reading about other people's experiences will be helpful for your decision. Plus they're fun to read and many have great photos

The trip reports are in STICKYs above. There are about 35 reports in the 2014 list. For the 2013 List, start with reply#45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline//ship.

p.s. whale watching tours are highly successful in Juneau AND Icy St. Since there are many other activities in Juneau, many people do whale watching in Icy St.

Hi all.

1st post ever.

Going northbound out Vancouver next June (2015) with stops in Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway & Seward. Looking for recommendations for don't miss tours.

Interested in a fishing trip, flight seeing (plane or copter), a whale watching tour & a place for some excellent seafood. Just not sure which ports are best for each excursion during the middle of June.

Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS! :):):)

My family highly recommends Northern Lights Fishing charter in Ketchikan. I have been on many flightseeing trips, All certainly offer excellent sightseeing. So you need to determine, what YOU want to see/do. Actually consider both a helicopter and floatplane if you haven't flown in them.

As has been said, take an hour and read thru several pages on this forum. Just pick and choose from the titles, and you will gain a wealth of knowledge.

A lot of seeing Alaska has to do with one's budget. Are you are traveling alone, with family, with kids, Alaska is VERY expensive. Those helicopter rides for say a family of 4 will be over $1000. Do something like that in each port and it could wind up a VERY, VERY expensive trip. If money is no object, then go for broke, but if it is, then try and sort out and decide on one adventure that you would really like to do, splurge on that and do other things in the other ports.

Are you looking for adventure, seeing wildlife, exploring into the Yukon, all these are available, but you have to make the final choices.

Take a look at the thread, 'Sticker Shock on Excursions' a bit down the page and you will get some idea of the cost of many things and what else you can do to have a great time seeing Alaska.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips so far.

I guess I should have mentioned it will be only myself and wife on this cruise. We both enjoy seeing wildlife and breath-taking views. We are both 48 and relatively mobile and fairly adventurous.

Cost of excursions certainly will be considered, but that being said...... I have waited a long time to go to Alaska so I don't want to be stingy and miss out on something I may never have the chance to do again because of a few $'s. That's why they make credit cards right? LOL!

Seriously though.... my goals are to see whales, bear, etc... walk on a glacier, take some scenic pictures, experience some of the Alaskan culture, and of course catch some fish (halibut or salmon). Do people actually go to Alaska and not fish? That would be like going to Mexico and not drinking margaritas right? Just kidding....but I love to fish!

We are also staying post cruise at least 3 days. I have heard and read that the Gold Dome Rail from Seaward to Anchorage is a "don't miss" but it doesn't leave untill late afternoon arriving in Anchorage after 10:00pm. Do B&B allow guests to arrive that late or is a hotel a better option for that evening? We will be heading to Denali the next morning is 2 days at the park enough? Want to go in as far as possible for best wildlife viewing chances.

I think you are close Krazy Kruizer but throw a fishing trip in at Ketchikan (I will check out Northern Lights charters Budget Queen...thanks) and the itinerary looks pretty good. Snorkeling does sound intriguing though...what did you see BRDbabies? Was it a pain with having to wear wet suits? I love snorkeling but the Carribean is way warmer :D !

I will continue researching here in hopes of planning the perfect Alaskan cruise trip. Keep the recommendations coming and thanks again for the tips! :):):)

WE just returned from 10 days in Alaska and had a great time.

My recommendations: Seward (stay a few days) dinner at Chinooks (best meal of our trip in a restaurant), exit glacier hiking, 6 hour fijord tour (saw tons of whales and other animals) and a helipcopter ice hiking trip with Exit Glacier Guides.

Ketchikan - definitely the snorkeling. Amazingly warm...and like you, I'm a warm water person, so thought I'd be cold, but the wetsuits did their job. You can get a diving belt to go deeper if you choose.

Juneau - Taku Glacier Lodge flightseeing and best salmon meal on the trip. Caught fresh, cooked on the grill, drinks served with glacier ice and we also had a bear come and visit.

Haines - Wilderness Safari adventure and EAgle float trip - superior service and guides on both.

In any of the excursions we went on they had all the gear (in good shape) and even jackets for you to use so you don't have to take a heavy coat.

We were philosophically in line - waited a long time and saved our pennies. If you choose to stay a few days in Seward, there are tons of charters you can take to fish while you are there. On your cruise you will see whales.