Types of plane

Not really cruising related, but can anyone who has flown to Egypt lately with Thomson or Thomas Cook, tell me what type of plane they use. Last time we went it was a 737 and so cramped. Just too small for a 5 hours flight. Previously we had 767s which were much better.

I ask, because the Caribbean cruises seem to be getting more expensive instead of less, so thinking of having a week in Egypt for my birthday instead. If it is still a 737 may have to break with tradition and pay :eek::eek: to book aisle seats :eek::D

Thomsons brochures don't indicate the model of aircraft from their own fleet for specific flights - just a list of all types that could be employed.

However, they do list the aircraft model where they use another carrier for a route.

That was up until the most recent cruise brochure that I have (Nov.2014-Oct.2015) which doesn't even give you that.

The corresponding hotel holiday brochure might still carry more detailed flight information ?

Not really cruising related, but can anyone who has flown to Egypt lately with Thomson or Thomas Cook, tell me what type of plane they use. Last time we went it was a 737 and so cramped. Just too small for a 5 hours flight. Previously we had 767s which were much better.

I ask, because the Caribbean cruises seem to be getting more expensive instead of less, so thinking of having a week in Egypt for my birthday instead. If it is still a 737 may have to break with tradition and pay :eek::eek: to book aisle seats :eek::D

That happened to us a few years back, contrary to my expectations prices after Christmas seemed to go up not down - you can never be sure which way it will go.

But I would agree with you completely Linda, when we flew to Sharm we were in the most cramped and uncomfortable plane we've ever travelled in. I've read other complaints on here about it too - seems as though the planes Thomson were using on that route weren't good and it's not a short flight either! They may be different now but you're wise to be taking it into account.

Not sure if this will work but I think if you can identify the flight number perhaps by going through a mock booking a site called SeatGuru may be able to throw up the plane type for you.

Edited by kruzseeka

Thomson are trying to replace all short haul aircraft with the 737 now, with most routes operating this type of aircraft. There is a lot fewer short haul 767 flights now, with a couple operating out of Manchester and Gatwick. If you are looking at Thomas Cook, try http://www.thomascookairlines.co.uk and do the normal booking process and it comes up with the seat plan for your flight.

Is it for this winter?

Thanks all you lovely people :)

I had looked at flight guru, kruzseeka, but when I put in the date in it didn't recognise it and of course I don't know the flight number :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link sailaway, will look at that. Actually Thomson don't seem to be bringing the hotel or resort I want up now (Fort Arabesque - Makadi Bay)although they had it on Friday :confused:

Thomas Cook have it a bit cheaper, and Saga have but about £300 each dearer :eek:

Thomson are trying to replace all short haul aircraft with the 737 now, with most routes operating this type of aircraft. There is a lot fewer short haul 767 flights now, with a couple operating out of Manchester and Gatwick. If you are looking at Thomas Cook, try www.thomascookairlines.co.uk and do the normal booking process and it comes up with the seat plan for your flight.

Is it for this winter?

Yes - my birthday in February.

Yes - my birthday in February.

For Thomson flights that have a three digit number, so TOMXXX, if you've got the flight number, type it in the box in the top right of this website and it comes up with the recent flights with the aircraft type.

http://libhomeradar.org/databasequery/quicksearch.php

Edited by Sailaway487

For Thomson flights that have a three digit number, so TOMXXX, if you've got the flight number, type it in the box in the top right of this website and it comes up with the recent flights with the aircraft type.

http://libhomeradar.org/databasequery/quicksearch.php

How would I find the flight number?

I did the TCX one, it is a 757-300 The comment was very cramped :rolleyes:

How would I find the flight number?

I did the TCX one, it is a 757-300 The comment was very cramped :rolleyes:

Does the flight number not come up when trying to book?

If not, have a look at the timetable here, and find the day and flight times and get the flight number that way.

http://flights.thomson.co.uk/thomson/en-GB/timetable/default

Does the flight number not come up when trying to book?

If not, have a look at the timetable here, and find the day and flight times and get the flight number that way.

http://flights.thomson.co.uk/thomson/en-GB/timetable/default

Ah yes I see it now ;)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Thomson can use either a 737 or a 757 on short haul flights, and to be honest, we find them both a bit cramped. They do have one short haul 767 in use, which as mentioned above is only on a couple of routes from LGW & MAN. If I'm correct, isn't it used mainly on high frequency routes such as Tenerife?

In response to another post above, the 787, also known as the Dreamliner, is only used on long haul routes and wouldn't be used to Sharm.

Great link sailaway!

Just tried to identify the plane type for our Thomson flight to Santorini but suspect the info on summer scheduled planes may not be available yet. Guess that might be quite tight too which is making me question whether, like Linda we might be better to bite the bullet and pay to select our seats! :rolleyes: Though it goes against the grain really! It will possibly be the same type of plane they use for Corfu flights. I don't think we've ever booked seats other than for the Caribbean - so...... does anyone have an idea of the cost of booking seats for flights of that length (about 4 hours - similar I would think to Corfu)?

We have definitely had A 767 on Sharm route, but that was years ago, probably 2006/07. Then last time we went it was a single aisle plane.

I, personally don't call 5 hours short haul ;) and that is not just my opinion! I just found this on seatplans.com

"The Boeing 737-800 is mainly used on short-haul routes, although it can reach as far as Egypt" :)

Th

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA
blimey don't know what happened there!

Just tried to identify the plane type for our Thomson flight to Santorini but suspect the info on summer scheduled planes may not be available yet. Guess that might be quite tight too which is making me question whether, like Linda we might be better to bite the bullet and pay to select our seats! :rolleyes: Though it goes against the grain really! It will possibly be the same type of plane they use for Corfu flights. I don't think we've ever booked seats other than for the Caribbean - so...... does anyone have an idea of the cost of booking seats for flights of that length (about 4 hours - similar I would think to Corfu)?

According to Thomson it's £19pp to Santorini!

Edited by BaggersCruising

Thanks Baggers. Think we'll have to go for it especially if it's tight and a 3-3 layout. Hate to get trapped by the window if the flight's more than a couple of hours or so. £19 p.p makes £30 for the Caribbean (about twice the flight distance) seem quite reasonable :rolleyes: not that I agree with it at all. Still if they didn't sting us for that the prices for the holiday/cruise would be higher I expect. At least it is optional - you don't have to pay for the pleasure but it does feel like emotional blackmail!

Thanks Baggers. Think we'll have to go for it especially if it's tight and a 3-3 layout. Hate to get trapped by the window if the flight's more than a couple of hours or so. £19 p.p makes £30 for the Caribbean (about twice the flight distance) seem quite reasonable :rolleyes: not that I agree with it at all. Still if they didn't sting us for that the prices for the holiday/cruise would be higher I expect. At least it is optional - you don't have to pay for the pleasure but it does feel like emotional blackmail!

I completely agree, we had a big argument about it when coming to book next month's cruise. It just seems like penny pinching. It's a little different when booking a no-frills flight only, but when booking a complete holiday package, it just seem's wrong.

All the 737's and 757's are 3-3 layout, and whilst you could be lucky and get the short haul 767 they have, as they only possess one, it would be highly unlikely!

Linda I have to agree with others views. We always used to do winter holidays in Egypt until a few years back and the flights were always terrible. This was Thomsons and Thomas Cook.
Looks like it had better be the Caribbean then! TBH I would rather do 8 hours on big plane than 5 in one of those sardine cans they call 737s :rolleyes: