First time to St. Martin/Maarten

GregRedding

Hi folks--

I'm heading to St. Martin in late June. Anyone been? Suggestions on where to eat/shop/have fun?

Is there any sort of gay scene? How do the apps (Grindr/Scruff) work out over there?

Thanks!

Greg

Hi folks--

I'm heading to St. Martin in late June. Anyone been? Suggestions on where to eat/shop/have fun?

Is there any sort of gay scene? How do the apps (Grindr/Scruff) work out over there?

We went last November. We did an excursion "4-Wheeler Expedition" which I mistakenly thought would involve riding on trails or something. No, it was driving 4-wheelers on the roads with all the other cars. It normally wasn't too bad though I definitely felt that I was taking my life in my own hands going through some of the traffic circles!

Our tour (it was just me and my husband) stopped at Orient Beach for a few hours, then took a meandering route back to the ship with a stop at Rotary Lookout Point. Orient Beach is indeed clothing-optional, and it was a fun stop. Hey, it's not often you get a chance to skinny dip in the ocean! As noted above, it's not gay-oriented in the least and pretty straightforward as naturist beaches go (all body types and genders welcome). I found it very pleasant.

After we got back to the ship I took the water taxi (US$7 round trip) across the harbor from the cruise ship docks to Great Bay Beach. It's your usual Caribbean tourist beach hell - mildly interesting if you're not used to it, but otherwise unremarkable. I did stumble onto an interesting Peruvian bar/restaurant (https://www.facebook.com/Nazca.Peruvian.Restaurant/) that had a nice selection of cocktails, free wifi, and a friendly bar dog and bar cat.

I can't speak for Grindr, but I was amused to bring up Growlr and see eight people listed within 200 miles, all obviously cruise ship passengers. That pretty much sums up gay life in the Caribbean, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in January and had a blast. We rented a jeep at the cruise terminal for about $75 and went over to see the planes come in at Maho Beach. Very cool. We then cruised around for a bit before we headed over to Orient Beach. Parts of it are the nude beach, which we went to, and had a wonderful lunch at the restaurant at the end of the beach on the right hand side; Club Orient I believe is the actual nudist resort.