Travel Insurance...Thru Carnival or Elsewhere?

pirate4me2

Hey everybody,

So I currently have 6 future cruises booked, but my Mom is having some medical issues that may or may not impact me taking some of those future cruises. :( One is booked for this October, 4 for next year, and 1 for 2018. My question is...if my mom's medical issue turns out to be major and I cannot go on some of those future cruises, is there some kind of travel insurance that would cover me having to cancel? She is not booked to go on any of those cruises with me, it is just DH and I. If there is a type of insurance that would cover this kind of thing, is it best to book it thru the cruise line or thru a different company? I know that I should probably book insurance for every cruise I have gone on before this, but I was a risk taker and honestly it didn't occur to me the first few cruises I went on. :o Trust me, from now on I will be booking travel insurance!

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

You should check both avenues. What you want is to have trip cancellation insurance in case your mother's health prevents you from going. And then medical insurance for you as well, depending on your group medical coverage or any association plans - like AARP.

Rates are all over the map so you really do need to shop around. Your age, your health, the length of the cruise all are factors for your rates.

Since you have so many planned perhaps look into an annual premium policy that covers you anytime you are out of the country.

Hey everybody,

So I currently have 6 future cruises booked, but my Mom is having some medical issues that may or may not impact me taking some of those future cruises. :( One is booked for this October, 4 for next year, and 1 for 2018. My question is...if my mom's medical issue turns out to be major and I cannot go on some of those future cruises, is there some kind of travel insurance that would cover me having to cancel? She is not booked to go on any of those cruises with me, it is just DH and I. If there is a type of insurance that would cover this kind of thing, is it best to book it thru the cruise line or thru a different company? I know that I should probably book insurance for every cruise I have gone on before this, but I was a risk taker and honestly it didn't occur to me the first few cruises I went on. :o Trust me, from now on I will be booking travel insurance!

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

We strongly suggest that you contact Steve (owner) at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL, don't just read the online policy summaries, as the fine print matters.

(Reading those summaries might be a good intro IF you want to read a bit before calling.)

Make SURE you tell him that you've already made reservations, because this may allow him to give you information about only those policies that would work, depending upon how long ago you made the first deposit.

(The "deadlines" typically vary from within 10-21 days of the FIRST deposit OR, from one company, within 24 hours of the final payment - defined very specifically.)

We've purchased several policies from them, with two different insurance companies, and we've had two large claims, both with Travel Insured.

Both claims were paid promptly upon receipt of all necessary (and reasonable!) documentation.

THAT is what counts ;)

Policies differ, but you can get insurance that covers trip cancellation or trip interruption due to the illness of a close family member (like Mom). But if the medical condtion of Mom is a pre-existing condition, you may not be covered unless you purchase the policy within 10-15 days of making your first payment (i.e. deposit). [Just based on the info you provided, I think it is likely that Mom's medical issues would be considered a pre-existing condition.]

I recommend you go to http://www.insuremytrip.com where you can compare LOTS of policies. The folks there are very good about answering questions if you call, use the "Live Chat" feature or email them. Read all the provisions of the policy--and expecially the "pre-existing condition" restrictions before you purchase.

Policies differ, but you can get insurance that covers trip cancellation or trip interruption due to the illness of a close family member (like Mom). But if the medical condtion of Mom is a pre-existing condition, you may not be covered unless you purchase the policy within 10-15 days of making your first payment (i.e. deposit). [Just based on the info you provided, I think it is likely that Mom's medical issues would be considered a pre-existing condition.]

The easiest way to get around this is to find a plan that DOES NOT apply the pre-existing medical existing condition exclusion to non-traveling family members. For example, TravelSafe's definition of a pre-existing medical condition is:

“Pre-Existing Condition” means an illness, disease, or other condition during

the 60 day period immediately prior to the date Your coverage is effective

for which You or Your Traveling Companion, Business Partner or Family

Member scheduled or booked to travel with You:. . . . "

They don't expect you to know the full health history of these non-traveling family members, a very consumer-friendly way of handling these situations.

Based on your situation:

1. CFAR --cancel for any reason coverages. these are usually a bit more expensive and will cover ~75% of your cruise cost. Here is a comparison: http://www.csatravelprotection.com/plan-details

2. When you can buy: alot of the travel insurance companies require that you buy at initial deposit for trip cancellation coverages. The cruise line will probably sell you cover right up to departure.

CSA Travel Protection seems to be the most liberal on letting you purchase up to final deposit. This article outlines:

http://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-travel-insurance-guide/

3. Cruise line insurance is generally more expensive. There is conflict of interest on insuring their cruise and if you have a claims situation...