Mardi Gras pre-cruise hotel - please help

dreamovdocean

I've finally convinced my workaholic husband that we deserve a vacation. His annual business convention/rally for 2017 will be held in NOLA, which is definitely a bucket list destination for both of us. We're already paying for airfare, so we decided to take a cruise and then spend a few extra days in the city before the convention starts. The only problem is the dates...

We're booked on the Carnival Dream for February 26th, 2017. We really want to fly in the night before, which means we'll need a pre-cruise hotel for one night, and that one night just happens to be the Saturday before Fat Tuesday, at the height of the Mardi Gras festivities. From what I can tell this is about the most expensive and frustrating time to book a hotel. We're thinking our best option might be to stay in one of the suburbs pre-cruise, and then stay in the French Quarter post-cruise (and post Mardi Gras). We've never been to NOLA and basically have no idea what we're doing, so could really use some advice from any locals and/or experienced travelers.

Pre-Cruise options available are:

1. Red Roof Inn or Comfort Suites Airport (both around $160, reviews mentions lots of road noise from the highway)

2. Sleep Inn Metairie ($200, well-reviewed, and from what I can tell not too far from airport and cruise port)

3. Baymont Marrero (at about $90 this is way cheaper than the other options which makes me wonder if the hotel and/or the area is questionable)

4. There are several well-reviewed hotels in Slidell in the $120-$150 range (Wingate, Homewood Suites, Country Inn and Suites, Sleep Inn, Hampton). From what I can tell this area is a 45-60 minute drive from both the airport and cruise port (without traffic), which means cab fare would be pretty steep. On the plus side we would get to experience the bridge over Lake Pontchartrain, which would be kind of cool.

We've got 4 days slotted to experience the city when we get back, so basically what we need for Saturday the 25th is just a place to get some dinner and a good night's rest before the cruise. I've also read that getting a cab and just getting around period can be challenging this particular weekend. Thoughts? Suggestions?

When I'm trying to stay away from downtown I stay in either metairie or kenner (airport). I book my hotels on hotwire and you usually save money. I would probably go on hotwire and book the 2.5* MSY Airport area all suites hotel with 90% recommendation for $134. I think you'll find that is your $160 comfort suites. I've never stayed there myself but I stayed in the doubletree across the street last month and didn't have any issues with noise from the road. If you get 90% recommendation on hotwire, it's a pretty good bet it's going to be a good place. They have a free airport shuttle and continental breakfast.

Edited by Saint Greg

Honestly.... I would fly in the morning of the cruise and just stay an extra day (on top of the days you were planning already). But I do have lots of hotel knowledge in these areas so here goes.

1) Red Roof Inn in Kenner was just recently converted from a Sleep Inn. It's directly on I-10 and road noise is significant, it's basic and would be fine for one night, but if I had my choice between the two I would take the Comfort Inn St Rose. This hotel is a better run property and the free breakfast is good. You should not be bothered by the noise here, as its on Airline Hwy.They offer airport pickup and they also have a shuttle to the cruise port on embarkation day. There is plenty of restaurants in Metarie and Kenner for a $10 or less cab fare

2) Sleep Inn Metarie is OK, you will get a lot of highway noise. They have a free breakfast but not as good as Comfort Inn. The upside is that they are across the street from Clearview Mall and plenty of dining option in there or nearby. I'm not sure if they offer a cruise shuttle. Cab fare to this hotel from MSY should be $20.

3) Baymont Marrero was once a Sleep Inn a few years ago. They seem to be pretty clean but road noise might be significant as they are at the foot of the Westbank Expressway. The area is OK, more suburban but it's not like a high crime area, it's where all the working class folks live. Dining is a little more sparse here though. I'm not sure about a cruise shuttle to the port. Cab fare to this hotel from MSY should be around $40

4) Of the hotels that you mention in Slidell, the Wingate is the nicest, Country Inn is a close second. It is not very feasible to stay in Slidel though as cab fare to Slidell would be probably $80 and the same back to the cruise port. If you do stay in Slidell let me know, I grew up there and can give dining help if needed. The bridge over Lake Pontchartrain is really not a big deal, definitely not worth going through New Orleans East (Scary) to get to.

If you need help with hotels when you debark.... I've spent hundreds of nights in New Orleans and dined all over the French Quarter/CBD/Warehouse District (my fave). Just ask.

Oh and I misread which Comfort Property you were asking about. The Comfort Suites is nice also and is a little closer to dining than St Rose Comfort Inn. Either would be my choice, but I'm Double Diamond in the Choice Privileges program and I never pay for a room, always book on points earned from business travel.

Saint Greg: Thanks so much for the info. I'll take a peek on Hotwire this morning and see if it's still there. So you would recommend the Kenner/airport area over Metairie? How difficult do you think it would be to get a cab from Kenner to the cruise port on Sunday morning? How much extra time should we allow? Really appreciate the advice.

Human Speedbump: Thank you so much for the detailed reply - this is exactly what I was hoping for.

We had thought about trying to just fly in the Sunday of the cruise, but it looks like we might not be able to get a non-stop flight, and arrival times would be cutting it closer than we'd like. Factor in possible flight delays as well as traffic in the city and we'd rather not take the chance.

So you think the Comfort Inn Kenner/Airport would be the best choice? Thanks for the info on Slidell - you confirmed what I was thinking. The hotels/availability/prices look pretty attractive, but the added cab fare is going to make it more expensive than staying closer. Do you think we'll have any problems getting a cab to the cruise port on Sunday morning?

I would love to hear your advice on post-cruise hotels! I've just started looking, and it seems like availability is just starting to open up. New Orleans is a place that both my husband and I have always wanted to experience - the music, the food, the architecture, the history and unique culture. I (being a typical woman I suppose) would love to stay at a B&B, while my husband (being a typical man I suppose) doesn't want a place that's too "foo-foo" and does want the amenities of a traditional hotel. I've been kind of looking at The Hotel Mazarin, Bourbon Orleans, and a few others. Would love to hear about what you like best - it's a little overwhelming. Thanks again.

Saint Greg: Thanks so much for the info. I'll take a peek on Hotwire this morning and see if it's still there. So you would recommend the Kenner/airport area over Metairie? How difficult do you think it would be to get a cab from Kenner to the cruise port on Sunday morning? How much extra time should we allow? Really appreciate the advice.

I'd actually prefer Metairie because I like the dining/shopping options better. But based on what is available on Hotwire that night, I'd pick the Comfort Suites in Kenner. The Metairie Hotels available that night have 50 and 70% recommendation. I believe them to be the Extended Stay and Super 8 or Ramada. I'd much rather stay at the Comfort Suites with 90% recommendation and take a short cab ride to eat dinner if you want to eat in Metairie. We're not talking about a great distance to Metairie..2 or 3 miles up the road. I would think there are always cabs out in the airport area....but I've never taken one from there myself because I always have my own vehicle.

Edited by Saint Greg

What are your plans for Saturday evening? That is "Endymion Saturday" and it is crazy bananas with traffic for miles around. You won't be able to just pop over to the city for dinner/drinks. Getting a cab on Sunday morning shouldn't be too much of a problem but since the uptown parades start at 11am on Sunday I would err on the side of caution and get there early. Also, as fair warning you cruise will be packed with kids as NOLA schools are out the entire week and many choose to cruise.

One other point of note is that Metairie/Kenner has a different set of cabs as it is in Jefferson Parish. If there is a long line of folks in the taxi line then be sure to tell the dispatcher at the front of the line that you need a "short" which is the lingo they use to notate Jefferson Parish and you will be pulled aside and they will radio for a JP cab.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

nolatravelgirl: Thanks for the info on cabs - this kind of stuff is invaluable.

Our only plans for Saturday night are going to be to find something for dinner (doesn't have to be anything fancy - a pizza would probably be just fine) and get some sleep. "Crazy bananas" - yeah, that's what we're anticipating. From what I'm hearing it sounds like it'll be a mess all day Saturday. If we stay in Kenner, what are the chances we could get a pizza delivered to the hotel or get a cab to someplace close by for dinner? Or if we stayed at the Sleep Inn in Metairie are there restaurants within walking distance?

As far as Sunday morning goes, how much time do you think we should allow (taking into account traffic, road closures and such) to get to the cruise terminal from Kenner or Metairie?

Yeah, I've heard that schools are out and a lot of families with kids will be cruising that week - really doesn't bother us. While we don't have any of our own, we don't have a problem with lots of kids running around. If there are too many ill-behaved little monsters about we can always retreat to our cabin (booked a spa balcony), serenity area, or if all else fails there're always cocktails and earplugs. Obnoxious children (and obnoxious adults for that matter) can be encountered at any time. In short, I've waited years for this vacation. The timing may not be ideal (what in life ever is?), but this is when we can go and I'm not going to let anything spoil it!

Thanks again for all the great info - it really is much appreciated.

nolatravelgirl: Thanks for the info on cabs - this kind of stuff is invaluable.

Our only plans for Saturday night are going to be to find something for dinner (doesn't have to be anything fancy - a pizza would probably be just fine) and get some sleep. "Crazy bananas" - yeah, that's what we're anticipating. From what I'm hearing it sounds like it'll be a mess all day Saturday. If we stay in Kenner, what are the chances we could get a pizza delivered to the hotel or get a cab to someplace close by for dinner? Or if we stayed at the Sleep Inn in Metairie are there restaurants within walking distance?

If you don't plan on going into the city then you should be fine to get some dinner nearby. You could head over to the Esplanade Mall (not a great mall) and eat at the food court if you wanted. There is a Target in the mall so you could also pick up any snacks or drinks you would like to take on board. Target sells wine. The mall also has an outpost of Cafe Du Monde so you could get a beignet. There are several restaurants not in the mall but in the same general area. My favorite is Zea's where the Thai BBQ ribs and corn grits are delicious.

As far as Sunday morning goes, how much time do you think we should allow (taking into account traffic, road closures and such) to get to the cruise terminal from Kenner or Metairie?
I would plan on leaving the hotel by 10am

Yeah, I've heard that schools are out and a lot of families with kids will be cruising that week - really doesn't bother us.
If you go in with that attitude you should be fine. If you aren't from the area and didn't know school would be out you may be surprised by the number of kids on board.

The Sleep Inn in Metairie is very close to Cafe East - a nice Chinese restaurant. They are also several bar/grill type of places since this area has a lot of automotive and mechanic type places nearby.

You are very close to Cleaview Mall which is the starting spot of the Metairie parades. There will be a small one in Metairie that night - usually starting around 6:00pm. So you fit in a parade!! Endymion is the city is big, big, big and if the weather is good everyone will go there, so there will not be as many people in Metairie. There are restaurants in the mall - my favorite is Zea's, too. There is also Semolina's which has all kinds of pasta dishes. They will be open during the parade. There is a Target there, too. There is also a Cafe du Monde on Veterans Hwy almost even with the Sleep Inn. If you stay in Kenner and go to Esplanade Mall, the Zea's is located outside of the mall in the parking lot on the north side. zearestaurants.com

Yes, you will be able to get a pizza delivered!

I would allow an extra hour travel time on Sunday. I am not one to get to the port early, but there will be people going uptown for the Sunday parades.

I have cruised during Mardi Gras with my teenagers and yes, there will be a lot of kids, but you can escape!

I would not recommend walking from the Sleep Inn to the mall as the Sleep Inn is on the Interstate Service road and would require crossing a lot of big traffic streets. Since the original poster is not planning on going into the city I would stay in Kenner where cabs would be more likely to transport passengers short distances and avoid parade traffic.

Lynda59: Thanks for the reply - nice to hear from someone who cruised during Mardi Gras and survived ;)

While I'd love to go see one of the smaller parades, DH has trouble with his feet (fine if he keeps walking, but standing still for any great length of time and he's in a lot of pain), added to the fact that we've never been to NOLA and aren't familiar with the area on top of arriving on this crazy weekend... well, I think we're probably better off just staying put and getting some rest. Are any of the parades on TV? I know it wouldn't be the same, but at least we could tell everyone that we saw a Mardi Gras parade on TV in a hotel room just outside of New Orleans - crazy, party animals that we are :rolleyes:

I went ahead and made a reservation at the Comfort Suites in Kenner (no penalty for cancellation in case we change our minds). Zea's sounds great for dinner. After a quick perusal of Google Maps it looks like there are a few places that would be within walking distance if we can't get a cab - Brick Oven Cafe, American Pie, La Cocinita, Messina's, Seafood & Poboys, Don Jose's Grill - anyone have any opinions on any of these places? Or I suppose if all else fails we could eat at the airport. At any rate, I'm sure we won't starve.

I really want to thank everyone that's chimed in with advice - it's all been helpful and done a lot to alleviate my stress.

Hotel Mazarin is newly renovated about 2 years ago. The rooms are small like a bedroom in your house but nicely appointed. I usually don't stay in the FQ, but my wife stayed there for a weeding that was held in the courtyard of the hotel.

I like hotels with modern amenities and spacious rooms so I have my Go-To hotels in the Warehouse District that I can get on Priceline for around $65 (4star) most weekday nights. I am still able to walk distances so it's just about 6-8 blocks to the FQ when I want to go eat. I also like the fact that it is safer and quieter and I can park in the street for free in the WHD between 6pm and 8am

. I have stayed at the Courtyard in the FQ and it was exceptionally nice and modern.

Can't miss dinner meals in the FQ are Irene's , GW Finns, Restaurant Revolution (pricey), Palace Cafe. the list is loooong in this area. You'll need reservations.

I really like Cafe Maspero for lunch in the FQ, priced right and great local flavor. Don't go in thinking its fancy or pretentious, It's anything but.

In the Garden District try Atchafalaya or Clancy's.... You can't go wrong with either.

In the Warehouse District try Peche or Cochon, both great treats. August and Domenica is in the CBD and is great, just pricey, need reservations.

I personally think that Antoine's is badly overrated and sadly Galitoires is getting that way too. I personally steer clear of K-Pauls also due to being overrated/overpriced/not rodent averse (bad personal experience there).

Edited by Human Speedbump

I would not recommend walking from the Sleep Inn to the mall as the Sleep Inn is on the Interstate Service road and would require crossing a lot of big traffic streets. Since the original poster is not planning on going into the city I would stay in Kenner where cabs would be more likely to transport passengers short distances and avoid parade traffic.

Nolatravelgirl - I did not recommend walking to Clearview Mall. I live in Metairie and I would not walk it.

To humanspeedbump - there is no way this traveler will be able to get into the city to follow your suggestions due to the parades.

Edited by Lynda59
addl comment

Endymion will be on TV - it should be on Fox 8, so you will be able to watch. It is an absolutely beautiful parade. It has well over 2000 riders and it is followed by an Extravaganza with 15,000 - 20,000 people in the Superdome who all stay in hotels downtown. Add that to the usual tourists in town for Mardi Gras, too, so now you know why hotels are so expensive and scarce for that weekend. There are big "super krewe" parades on Sunday & Monday, too.

I have been to Brick Oven Cafe and the pasta dishes are very good. I would catch a cab, though, and go to Zea's by Esplanade Mall.

Lynda.... I was responding to her earlier post where she asked for post cruise advice.

And I agree about walking to Clearview mall. If she stays at Comfort Suites in Kenner, she should call Nassir Ali, the hotel GM, and ask if he will shuttle them to and from the mall. Nassir is a friend and former client of mine and he will bend over backwards to help a guest out.

Nolatravelgirl - I did not recommend walking to Clearview Mall. I live in Metairie and I would not walk it.
No cabbie in his right mind would deal with the traffic congestion around Clearview mall and the on ramp to i-10 (right by the Sleep Inn) in order to drive someone just a few blocks during Mardi Gras. Edited by nolatravelgirl

I like hotels with modern amenities and spacious rooms

That's exactly how my husband feels. While I like the charm and character of some of the older hotels and B&Bs, he's more interested in things like elevators, air conditioning, and reliable hot water pressure. Seeing as though it took a lot to talk him into a big vacation in the first place, he's probably going to get his way on this point. What do you think of the Staybridge Suites? Seems like a good location (close to street car and bus stops and still not too far to walk to the French Quarter or riverside), is moderately priced and well-reviewed. An included breakfast is always a plus with us as well.

I'm also noticing that hotels are still kind of pricey the week after our cruise (March 5-9), even though Mardi Gras will be over by then. Is there anything else going on in town that week?

I really like Cafe Maspero for lunch in the FQ, priced right and great local flavor. Don't go in thinking its fancy or pretentious, It's anything but

This definitely sounds like our kind of place.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to go off track but I see you have lots of knowledge: We are cruising out the week before on the 18th and was looking at the Holiday Inn Express downtown on O'Keefe. any experience with this area? Should we not be downtown? Are Mardi Gras events going on this early? coming in on Feb 16 and cruising out on the 18th.

I see Mardi Gras 2017 is Feb. 28, so you are going to getting in pretty close to that action. It really depends on whether you are flying in or driving to New Orleans.....

The Holiday Inn Express Downtown on Okeefe St. Might not be a bad choice if you got a good rate there. It's a few blocks out of the big CBD hustle and bustle but still walking distance to the French Quarter. It's located a couple blocks from the Tulane medical center/ school and it's a little bit desolate at night there. If you do stay there try Walk-Ons sports bar 2 blocks away and get the "Devils on Horseback"... My favorite on the menu. It's casual but can be very lively.

• 3 weeks later...

We are cruising into New Orleans on the 27th and leaving on the 1st.

So I think it's going to be hectic.

What area are the parades, as we've not seen it before.

We was there in April when the Jazz festival was on and walk to Bourbon Street from the cruise terminal ok

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are cruising into New Orleans on the 27th and leaving on the 1st.

So I think it's going to be hectic.

What area are the parades, as we've not seen it before.

Mardi Gras ends promptly at midnight on Tuesday evening as Wednesday is Ash Wednesday and the beginning on lent. You will be able to see parades Monday evening and Tuesday morning.

Monday evening is Proteus and Orpheus. Proteus is a more traditional old line krewe. Orpheus is a big "super krewe" with massive floats and lots of entertainment.

Tuesday is Mardi Gras day and it starts EARLY and I recommend you get up and experience this part of the city. There are walking krewes that start at 7am. Google "Pete Fountain's Half Fast Walking Club" and "Jefferson City Buzzards" these are all male organizations that walk the route with canes of flowers. They will come up to some ladies and will give them a flower in exchange for a kiss. This does not need to be some tongue lashing kiss but they wouldn't turn one of those down either. :D They start at 6:30am uptown.

Next comes the Krewe of Zulu which is a traditionally African American organization and there signature "throw" is a decorated coconut. If you catch one you are one lucky duck!

18618932055_3a67ca777c_z.jpg

Next comes Krewe of Rex which is a traditional old line Krewe. It isn't as big as some of the super krewes but Rex is considered the king of carnival and you say "Hail Rex!" we he passes by.

18432710509_cd6bdfe20e_z.jpg

After that are a bunch of god awful truck floats. We never stay for those as they are loud and obnoxious.

If you choose to go to Bourbon Street then go for the costume contest. It is definitely not for the faint of heart or those who are offended by nudity, openly gay individuals or drinking. The costumes are amazing works of art though.

There are no evening parades on Mardi Gras Day and most locals are exhausted by 4pm and go home and crash as they have been up since the wee hours of the morning. Tourists will head to Bourbon Street and flash and drink too much and think that they have "experienced Mardi Gras" when in reality the garbage shown on the news of flashing and puking is not anything like "local people" Mardi Gras.

This is a video from the Saturday before Mardi Gras uptown and is much more like how a local would describe Mardi Gras

[YOUTUBE]LypGkEth7R0[/YOUTUBE]