Cruise vs. Land

ggo85

First, I know there's "risk" in asking this question on a PG cruise forum, but I'm taking my chances on getting honest answers.:)

My DH and I are looking to go to Tahiti/French Polynesia next summer for about 10 days. We've never been there before and this may be the only time we ever go (assume that it is).

We are very experienced cruises and love cruising -- everything from ocean to river to Norwegian coastal. We have also done all-inclusive land vacations in the Caribbean. We no longer do Caribbean cruises b/c, while every island is different, they're not when you spend 6 hours in a cruise port. Our idea of an ideal vacation is a combination of just relaxing (i.e., sitting in the sun) and maybe doing some sightseeing.

I've read a lot about PG and understand it's a terrific cruise line which would undoubtedly satisfy us.

My question is primarily directed to anyone who has done a land vacation (i.e., at one of those over-the-water huts on Bora Bora or Tahiti) and a PG cruise. Which do you recommend and why? If you only did a PG cruise, why did you choose it over a land vacation and do you have any "regrets" about not doing a land tour?

Have been to Tahiti just the once, did the PG and then four days more in an over water Bure.

The PG does two days at bora bora and two days at moorea on its seven night cruises so its hardly just a few hours in port and thus you can properly explore both islands. And then you get a sample of a few others.

Because we did the PG first on our itinerary when we got to our Bure we pretty much stayed put only doing two small excursions during the four days.

So for a first timer to Tahiti I would strongly recommend PG.

We went to French Polynesia for the first time cruising on the PG. After 7 trips, I can say that cruising the islands is the best way to see the area. The islands are mostly small and one can get a sense of most on a one day stay. Further, French Polynesia is very expensive. Cruising gives one the best value for food, drink,hotel and entertainment.

I think that if you just want to "collapse and rest" perhaps another area of the world would give you a better value.

The islands are small and not knowing your needs for activity you might get bored after a day or two.

If you decide on a cruise and hopefully you will choose the PG try to take the longest cruise you can afford since it is a beautiful area of the world. We chose a 7 day cruise since we had never cruised before and weren't sure if we could handle cruising. We disembarked the ship after our 1st cruise leaving nail marks on the gangway not wanting to depart.

We have done Tahiti twice in the last 2 years and each time it was a PG cruise followed by 5-7 days on one of the islands. For 1st timers the cruise gives you a great overview and you're not stuck at one place if you don't like it. After the 1st cruise we rented a house on Moorea fpr 1 week and just chilled out. It was on the lagoon and we kayaked every day, walked to the market and shops. After the 2nd cruise we flew to Tikehau and spent 5 days at the Ninamu Resort. Ninamu is like Robinson Crusoe on steroids. We went deep sea fishing every day, snorkeled, kayaked, paddleboarded, and ate the best local foods ever. I can't say we liked one post cruise stay over the other, but when you go that far you just don't want to stay 7-10 days.

Thanks for the replies (to date!)

If we have ~10-12 days (we would NOT have more due to work commitments), would folks recommend a 10/11 day PG cruise or the week cruise + 3-5 days on one of the islands?

Thanks for the replies (to date!)

If we have ~10-12 days (we would NOT have more due to work commitments), would folks recommend a 10/11 day PG cruise or the week cruise + 3-5 days on one of the islands?

I've been to FP 18 times ......... 14 on land, 4 by ship

It is my personal opinion recommendation that the first trip to FP should be by cruise ship. Some. not all, will get the 'Tahitian flu' which is only kept in check by return visits to this beautiful country/islands.

When you go by cruise ship you will visit several islands and different island types, mountainous, atolls etc. You get to take a peek and decide which islands you would prefer visiting longer on another visit.

Every cruise we have taken to FP is a different itinerary than the prior ones, this allows us to receive new experiences and gather more information on possible land trips.

I would recommend the 10 night PG cruise which will give you a a taste of several different islands.

Future trips can then include a different itinerary and land and what I prefer, both on the same trip. Future trips of both cruise and land based are very nice.

Pn each trip we take to FP we enjoy returning to the familiar as well as something new, this is so very easy to do on a cruise ship like the PG, followed by 3 - 5 nights on land, probably an island you had previously visited for a day on the PG and now you get to enjoy in a longer more intimate way.

But as stated above, your first trip to FP is best done by cruising, a 10 night PG experience is most favorable IMO.

Do the cruise to find out what you like. I know I wasn't overwhelmed by the PG, but it was still a good trip and my wife and I really enjoyed learning the islands and the culture.

If you catch the flu, when you go back, you'll be better informed. We did the PG and found that we would like to split our time between Moorea and Bora Bora when we go back. We really enjoyed the time on both islands.

Cruising is a better bargain. Staying at a good hotel can end up costing a small fortune because of food. Also if you want to be in an overwater bungalow on Moorea or Bora Bora it could break the bank. Take a cruise. All the cruises here are good, doesn't matter which ship. If you are a drinker however stuck with PG!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have both cruised and stayed on land visiting French Polynesia. Both are great. It is paradise!

If you have 10-12 days I would recommend taking a 7 night Paul Gauguin cruise and spending 3 or 4 nights on land before the cruise.

You can book an Overwater Bungalow at Le Meridien Tahiti or the InterContinental Resort Tahiti. I found Le Meridien offers a more quiet, escape-like atmosphere and has a nice white sand beach area. It's also a French chain so the guests are mixed in nationality.

The Paul Gauguin cruise itinerary allows lots of time on each island, as well as two overnights (Bora Bora and Moorea). This cruise will give you a great overview of the islands and the 3 or 4 nights in Tahiti will give you lots of R&R.

Enjoy Tahiti! :)

Denise Blackmore, MCC

Sorry to disagree but if staying on Tahiti it's not worth the money for an overwater bungalow. Yeah it's nice but the water simply is nowhere as nice as Moorea and of Bora Bora. 7 day cruise too short. Do the pre or post and do a 10 day!

Sorry to disagree but if staying on Tahiti it's not worth the money for an overwater bungalow. Yeah it's nice but the water simply is nowhere as nice as Moorea and of Bora Bora. 7 day cruise too short. Do the pre or post and do a 10 day!

Totally agree ............. 10 night is by far the best for the newbie to FP.

I've never booked an OWB though I've been fortunate to get a free upgrade now and then. There is a place for the OWB for special occasions like a honeymoon or an anniversary. Personally I would rather same my money and not do an OWB and know I'll be able to come back more often, but that's me and my budget abilities, others may have a different take ......

I had been to FP 5 times before I took a cruise so my perspective may be a little different. I find value in both ways of spending a vacation. I really dislike Papeete/Tahiti but I do have a love affair with Moorea. This is were I like to spend a week or two on the beach.

Bora Bora is lovely but I still prefer Moorea. Someone described the difference between Bora Bora and Moorea so the difference between a fashion model and the girl next door. I really thought this was a great way to describe it. Bora Bora is absolutely beautiful but you can only spend so much time there. Moorea is pretty and comfortable and you can spend a lifetime there.

What did the cruise give me that I didn't get in my beach vacations? It was visiting the very small islands. We did the 14 day cruise. This allowed us to go to the small, hard to get islands that would have cost us a fortune to go visit. Each island has it's own personality and I love learning about them. We were also lucky that our cruise was one of the Cousteau cruises that made it extra special.

What will you enjoy the most? It really depends on your expectations.

I had been to FP 5 times before I took a cruise so my perspective may be a little different. I find value in both ways of spending a vacation. I really dislike Papeete/Tahiti but I do have a love affair with Moorea. This is were I like to spend a week or two on the beach.

Bora Bora is lovely but I still prefer Moorea. Someone described the difference between Bora Bora and Moorea so the difference between a fashion model and the girl next door. I really thought this was a great way to describe it. Bora Bora is absolutely beautiful but you can only spend so much time there. Moorea is pretty and comfortable and you can spend a lifetime there.

What did the cruise give me that I didn't get in my beach vacations? It was visiting the very small islands. We did the 14 day cruise. This allowed us to go to the small, hard to get islands that would have cost us a fortune to go visit. Each island has it's own personality and I love learning about them. We were also lucky that our cruise was one of the Cousteau cruises that made it extra special.

What will you enjoy the most? It really depends on your expectations.

Enjoy your cruise on the Ti'a Moana ......

Edited by Tikiintahiti

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing our 6th vacation in FP this September. The process that works best for us is start with a precruise at a land resort for three days and then do the 7 day PG itinerary. Most trips we have done our precruise on Bora Bora to veg out and relax, then do the excursions or scuba on the cruise. We did Tikehau once which was great too, but it is not a standard PG cruises precriuse any more. This year we are trying The Brando.

We have been underwhelmed by the food at the land resorts. The service at the resorts is typically laid back. As long as you are mellow you probably will be okay but if you expect people to jump when you ask for something, the Paul Gaugin is more likely to make you happy.

My disclaimer is that I've only done the cruise. But I wish you'd seen the crestfallen face of the honeymooner we shared a private excursion with in BB, when he learned there was a cruise with all inclusive food and alcohol and and "on the water cabin" that cost 1/2 of what he was paying for his OWB and very pricey a la carte food and alcohol. Never mind that we cruisers also had a "free" sunset cruise most evenings, "free" Tahitian dance show several times a week and "free" Tahitian cultural experiences ( pareo tying, Polynesian dance lesson/Zumba class, making leis and heis) all week. Yup, crestfallen is how I'd describe the poor young man.;)