Safaris South Africa

no fuss travel

We have just returned from our cruise and found that with the time the ships dock and leave the various ports, you simply cannot do a safari tour justice. The times you get to view the animals is when they are not active and the animals tend to find a nice shady spot to hide. We had done a pre-cruise safari in Sabi Sands and it was incredible. Mind you, we were in the jeep at 5:30 am till 9 am and then again from 4:30 pm to 8 pm. These were not the times that you were in the jeeps while on the cruise. Some of the reserves are a fair distance from the port so you spend more time traveling then you do viewing the animals. Also the drive to the reserves at times could be quite an experience and there were times you were barely on time to board the ship before it left. Traffic!!!!!!:eek:

Having lived in SA, I agree with you on the timing needed for the BEST viewing of the animals, their hunts, etc.; although for many tourists it can be a case of a once-in-a-lifetime chance to visit that part of the world, and to see the animals in a natural environment - even if the animals are lounging about in the shade in the middle of the day. Even for SA residents there are animals (such as nocturnal hunters) that many locals have rarely/never seen.

I have been to Etosha Park in Namibia, and the animals are most active from 6pm TO 6am, and while I may sit at the waterhole till 10pm, I probably ain't going to remain up for the rest of the night - even if that kill will be spectacular when it happens at 2am.

I think many tours now try to balance things out with some discussion/presentations about history, flora, fauna, archaeology, culture, people, etc etc, so at least if one does not see ALL of the animals then at least there was some enjoyment to the experience.

• 3 weeks later...

We are thinking about a cruise that departs from Capetown SA and has a 3 day precruise safari near Port Elizabeth. My dw is allergic to misquetoes. DOes anyone know how bad the bugs are in late November?

Sorry, can't comment on November but we have just returned from a month in South Africa, including several days in the Port Elizabeth area. The good news is that we had no bites and we only rarely used mosquito repellant.

We are thinking about a cruise that departs from Capetown SA and has a 3 day precruise safari near Port Elizabeth. My dw is allergic to misquetoes. DOes anyone know how bad the bugs are in late November?

November is late Spring going into Summer, and the rainy season starts in September/October. While mosquitoes can be quite common in the Summer along the East coast, they are much more prevalent (and an increased risk for malaria) if you were going to Kruger National Park in the NE of the country. While Port Elizabeth will have a lesser risk of mosquitoes, I would recommend some form of bug-spray for them. You can get this from local pharmacies or supermarkets in SA as well.