nobody asked me but......................

burtshell

Cruiser Join Date: Jul 2001

nobody asked me but............

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy Cannon was a sportswriter for the new york post in the 1940's-60's. every now and then he would write a column called "nobody asked me but". for example-i would not have a "bald"barber cut my hair.

here are some of my"nobody asked me but" for cruising.

please feel free to add and or comment. i have thick skin.

burtshell

1-i do not care who the cruise director is

2-i do not care who the captain of the ship is

3-late seating is too late and early seating is too early

4-i do not like "baked alaska"

5-there should be escalators on ships

6-why do people eat the scrambled prepared eggs at the buffet instead of the ready to order eggs.

7-going to your dinning room table the 1st night is like going on a "blind date"

8-the two most important people on the ship will be your waiter and cabin steward.

9-safes that require a credit card are ridiculous

10-in general the "brits" are more formal dressers than americans

11-i love to read comments written by the fashion police,especially the one where they told a cruiser that sneakers are not allowed on embarkation night

12-the escargot appetizer is great

13-desserts look better than they taste

14-european cruises are more exciting than caribbean ones

15-we always eat breakfast and lunch in the buffet area

16-my wife does not gain any weight on cruises

17-a sad sight is when you see the luggage lined up in the hall the night before disembarkation

18-i really enjoy talking to the 'brits" regarding the "blitz"

19-the over-the-door-shoe-bag is a wonderful thing to bring

20-the budget for lightbulbs in inside cabins must be very high

21-the first thing we do on embarkation day is to go to the library then the buffet

22-it took 3 cruises to find out who the "friends of bill w" were

23-where can i get an "egg cream" on the ship

24-why is ice coffee not as popular as ice tea

25-why do kilts take the place of a tuxedo and not a pair of short pants

26-why do the women,not the men,always select the seating in the theater

27-the best entertainment,other then a "big"production show was "barty brown" on princess

28-the best buffet luncheon was on the carnival spirt"s panama canal cruise

29-i never asked anyone what they paid for their cruise

30-the funniest line i heard on a cruise was on a day where the ship was rocking and rolling,someone yelled out "will the honeymoon couples cut it out"

my wife and i were on about 35 cruises and never had a bad cruise.

please add,comment or state anything regarding the above.

happy cruising

burtshell

1-a good cruise director adds to the enjoyment of activities on the ship

2-a good captain keeps us afloat

3-late seating is great because you don't have to hear the seniors complain

4-i do not like "floating islands"

5-The people that take the elevator to go up or down one floor make me sad

6-why do people eat at the buffet at all when you get much better service and food in the dining room.

7-with freestyle every dining experience is a "blind date"

8-the two most important things on the ship will be your companion and your bankroll

9-safes that require a credit card are great because then I can't forget the pin after to many drinks.

10-in general the "brits" have worse teeth than americans

11-i love to read comments written by the POA travelers.

12-the shrimp cocktail appetizer is gross

13-desserts always take to long to come out.

14-Hawaii cruises are more exciting than caribbean ones

15-we always eat breakfast and lunch on the island, at the barbecue or in the dining room

16-my wallet loses weight on a cruise

17-a sad sight is when you see the luggage lined up in the hall the night before disembarkation --- can't contradict that one

18-britz and blintz??? hmmm.. .weird

19-your fishing pole and george formeman grill are wonderful things to bring

20-the budget for lightbulbs in inside cabins must be very high

21-the first thing we do on embarkation day is to go to our room then to the pool

22-after 3 cruise I should be going to the "friends of bill w" meetings

23-What is an "egg cream" ?

24-why are Long Island iced teas more popular than regular Iced Tea

25-why do men wear skirts?

26-why do the theatres have the air conditioning ten degrees lower than the rest of the ship

27-the best entertainment,other then a "big"production show was the passenger pool competititons

28-the best buffet luncheon was at the Dawns New York Deli

29-i never asked anyone what they paid for their cruise because I don't want to make them feel bad when they find out I got a better deal

30-Why can't novice cruisers remember the name of the ship there were on two months after the get off "I was on the the Princess Dawn of the Seas"

Chris Connolly

Agree with almost all the original observations except we prefer breakfast and lunch in the dining room rather than the buffet. Agree wholeheartedly with you admiration for "Barty" Brown as he was the best entertainment on our Princess cruise. What a gem he was.

This is great!! I am a novice, only been out once to date and heading for my 2nd next January if NCL gets the kinks worked out. Here's some of mine.

Cruiser Join Date: Jul 2001

1-I only saw one cruise director in my life, and I can live the rest of my time without seeing another

2-as long as the captain of the ship knows where we are, I don't care who she is

3-late seating is great because I like to socialize with my friends before dinner

4-I like "baked alaska", especially the part with the bear meat in it

5-there should be escalators on ships, but they should only operate in the down direction

6-why do people eat scrambled prepared eggs at all when there is fresh fruit and multi-grain bread.

7-going to your dining room table the 1st night is like going on a "blind date", except you can't run away and never see then again if it doesn't work out

8-the two most important people on the ship will be your waiter and cabin steward. AGREED!!!

9-safes that require a credit card are ridiculous, but it could be worse. The cruise line could hit you for $10 every time you open or close it.

10-in general the "brits" are more formal dressers than americans, but then that isn't hard to do - Can't you take a joke?

11-i love to read comments written by the fashion police,especially the one where they told a cruiser that sneakers are not allowed on embarkation night. You gotta be kidding me, right?

12-the escargot appetizer is great. Escargots are just snails. no matter how you spell the name.

13-desserts look better than they taste. Chocolate desserts always taste like chocolate and thats good enough for me.

14-european cruises are more exciting than caribbean ones. I bow to your supperior experience on this one, but suspect you are right.

15-we always eat breakfast and lunch in the buffet area. Same here - usually quick and easy

16-my wife does not gain any weight on cruises. Good for her - after seeing the gluttony on my first cruise, it is hard to see how anyone keeps their weight (I lost a pound on my cruise)

17-a sad sight is when you see the luggage lined up in the hall the night before disembarkation - A sadder sight is the passengers lined up at the rail in a storm

18-i really enjoy talking to the 'brits" regarding the "blitz". Showing your age here, but then only a young person would read "blintz" here. ;0)

19-the over-the-door-shoe-bag is a wonderful thing to bring - only brought 2 pairs of shoes, so had no problem

20-the budget for lightbulbs in inside cabins must be very high. Not really, only was in there from midnight to 6-7 AM, so the lights weren't on much.

21-the first thing we do on embarkation day is to go to on a ship tour to see the gym, library, upper decks - food is not a priority.

22-it took 3 cruises to find out who the "friends of bill w" were ????

23-where can i get an "egg cream" on the ship Age thing again...what's an egg cream?

24-why is ice coffee not as popular as ice tea - Yuck!!

25-why do kilts take the place of a tuxedo and not a pair of short pants - can't think of a comeback here, my mind is boggled!!

26-why do the women,not the men,always select the seating in the theater - face it. It is not worth the trouble to argue. I sleep through most of the show anyway.

27-the best entertainment,other then a "big"production show was "barty brown" on princess ????

28-the best buffet luncheon was on the carnival spirt"s panama canal cruise

29-i never asked anyone what they paid for their cruise - Why do people keep asking that question when they really don't want to know the answer?

30-the funniest line i heard on a cruise was on a day where the ship was rocking and rolling,someone yelled out "will the honeymoon couples cut it out" Works for me.

23-where can i get an "egg cream" on the ship Age thing again...what's an egg cream?

Confused, Mooseman. You date of birth says 1946 - as the Egg Cream was developed in New York in the 1920s, it has been around as long (longer!) as you have!

An Egg Cream is comprised of whole milk, chocolate syrup (you must really have Fox's U-Bet to do this justice), and seltzer. Not seltzer from a 64 ounce bottle - but seltzer under pressure (remember a real seltzer bottle?). It would be best if the seltzer were to be made with Brooklyn water (yes, there is a difference!).

Pour milk into a tall (fountain) glass (approximately 3/4 full), add U-Bet to taste, finish with seltzer to fill glass. Using a long spoon (ice tea spoon? Should actually be an egg cream spoon!) "stir" by beating the interior bottom of the glass.

The will be a froth created on top which is similar to that of a beaten egg.

Hence the name!

twa4ever where did you grow up?

u-bet syrup got it's name when the son left brooklyn and went to texas. there he came across the saying "u bet"

went back home to brooklyn and told his father to name the syrup u-bet.

vanilla and coffee egg creams were also sold but not as popular as chocolate.

burtshell

i'm burt and my wife is shelley

Well, TWA4Ever, it depends were you were born and grew up. Mid-eastern Ontario, Canada is a fair distance from NY City, both as the crow flies and in terms of familiarity with local items. Now if I told you that apple pie had to be eaten with Cheddar cheese, you might not get the connection, but in Eastern Ontario farm country, no-one would dream of serving the pie without the cheese. It is a concept that has spread out a bit as us old farm boys got off the farms, but it used to be a real eye-opener to the uninitiated.

An egg cream sounds good - I'd like to try one.

Confused, Mooseman. You date of birth says 1946 - as the Egg Cream was developed in New York in the 1920s, it has been around as long (longer!) as you have! .........

Burt, I grew up in Brooklyn (of course!). I know about the vanilla egg cream (did not know about the coffee), but the classic is chocolate! Nice anecdote about how U-Bet got its name, too.

Mooseman - apple pie with cheddar cheese? I know it well. It is not as tip-of-the-tongue as pie a la mode, but it is quite familiar to both NY and VA (and to my wife, who is from OH).

Archived