Car Rental in France

celebritydave

I will be renting a car for a week later this year picking the car up in Caen or Rouen.

Can anybody recommend a good car rental company? Right now I have checked out Europecar and Sixt.

Thanks,

Dave

We just simply shop around among all the majors for the best deal (and location). You might also want to try rentacar.fr although I am not sure if they have locations in those ports.

Hank

We will be taking a train from Paris to Rouen, and picking the car up there. I would like to have an automatic transmission.

Make sure you book an automatic transmission far in advance as they can be difficult to find...especially in the smaller vehicles that are common throughout Western Europe. On two occasions we have been picking up rental cars in France and Italy and witnessed folks who had reserved auto transmissions who were unhappy to find there were none available (even though they had a reservation). You can also expect to pay a significant premium for an automatic. They are just not very popular in Europe.

Hank

I have already checked prices, and I did find that the automatics are quite a bit more. I found a car from Sixt for $392 a week. I will make sure that they can guarantee an automatic.

I have driven manual transmission a long time ago. I just don't want to mess with that this time.

Dave

celebritydave

if you can drive a manual car, then I would consider hiring one of those. It is very easy driving in Normandy and all along the coast it is mainly flat terrain, so you shouldn't have a lot of gear changing.

I would consider 392USD a fairly high price for a car in France.

Also, check out Kemwel and Autoeurope. Both are middle man companies located in the US that book you with a local company. I have used them twice in France and have had no issues. You prepay for your rental in USD and can designate different criteria when checking prices including automatic. I hadn't driven manual in almost 20 years when we rented the first time but it turns out you really don't forget. I had no issues with the manual and we drove all over Normandy and Brittany.