Falmouth, Jamaica - Port

VacayVik

We have been to Falmouth twice. The first time we booked Chukka Beach through Royal Caribbean. The beach experience in itself was okay, just very crowded and not our thing. The second time we booked the Rio Bueno River Tubing Adventure and LOVED it !!! We would definitely do that excursion again if we ever go back. Beautiful, beautiful countryside and views, the "river" was more a creek by US standards but clean and clear and so relaxing. On each excursion, the tour guides and drivers were exceptional, friendly and informative. Our group of 4 had one guide with us on the tubing trip and we really enjoyed talking with him and learning about his life and family in Jamaica. Both times the tour bus picked us up in the general loading area inside the port area.

The fenced and gated port area is still fairly new, maybe "Disney-like" is a fair description, but it is clean and safe. I can tell you from our personal experience that outside of the fence/gate is a totally different story. My brother-in-law wanted to venture out and see the "real" town, so he did so on his own. To make a long and scarey (his words) story short, he was immediately approached with numerous offers to buy drugs, and then literally grabbed by the hair (he had shoulder length hair at the time) by a woman and made to sit while she braided a strand of his hair and then demanded payment. He was definitely shaken when he returned to the ship.

That being said, I would not stay on the boat at all. Book an excursion and see some of the countryside. It is a very beautiful country. So different from the flat and sandy islands like Cozumel and the Caymans. All of the Jamaican people we came into contact with were wonderful, warm and friendly. Isn't that why you travel to different countries - to see different places and how people live? It is unfortunate that just outside the gate is an impoverished and not always safe area, but that does not define the entire region or country. Honestly, I was more afraid walking the streets of Cozumel where vendors were very pushy and insistent.

Have a great trip!!! :)

Our family has also done a tour to the Blue Hole with Libertytoursjamaica recently and LOVED it. As described above it is absolutely beautiful!! You will escape from the ship crowds and have the place almost to yourselves. It was so much fun jumping off the cliffs into the turquoise blue water. Watch this video and you will want to go there! It is thrilling!

The only problem is their website doesn't tell you how much the tours cost. :(

The only problem is their website doesn't tell you how much the tours cost. :(

It was like that when we booked as well. The reason is they offer different things, for example private or with a group from your ship. We went to The Blue Hole, River Tubing, then Scotchies for lunch. Some in the group did not do the River Tubing so the price was lower. Email them from the website, and they will customize a tour for you.

Edited by sundayb

Just booked the Bamboo Beach Club! It looks like a great deal for the money. I'll be sure to upload a review and pictures when I get back! Counting down the days until I leave! 10 days left!:p

We'll be here on Oasis in July. Not happy, but the Western Oasis was significantly less expensive than the Eastern Allure leaving the next day. Go figure.

Some of the excursions sound fun, like the rafting/tubing, although the hour-long drive seems like a drag. That said, we are very hesitant to spend money, and even set foot off the ship because of the virulent homophobia in this country. Partly out of principle and partly out of the fact that we don't want to have to hide who we are. Same-gender sexual activity is still illegal here, and not like we're going to partake in that, but I'd be worried about even holding hands or a quick kiss, something that opposite-sex couples almost never even have to think twice about.

Sigh.

I know we were at a resort, but we just returned from Sandals Montego Bay and there were a number of same-sex couples there. No one seemed to mind. Hopefully the country and it's citizens are opening thier minds a bit. A few years ago Sandals did not allow same sex couples, but now they do! Step forward I guess.

I know we were at a resort, but we just returned from Sandals Montego Bay and there were a number of same-sex couples there. No one seemed to mind. Hopefully the country and it's citizens are opening thier minds a bit. A few years ago Sandals did not allow same sex couples, but now they do! Step forward I guess.

Hmmm...interesting. Of course I still have to question why, of all the places you can go on vacation, would you choose to go to a homophobic (if diminishing) island at a resort that until a couple of years ago didn't want your business. Maybe some people want to be pioneers. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Or backwards, depending on your point of view.

Yes, tolerance of different lifestyles and not foisting one's own belief system upon others is clearly a step backwards.

Just because you tolerate different lifestyles and poor choices does not mean everyone has to. My belief system is the only one that matters to me.

We ARE talking about Sandals, Montego Bay, right?

Yes, we were at Sandals Montego Bay. I'm not in a same sex relationship, I'm married to a wonderful man, was just stating that it seemed that it didn't bother anyone at the resort and that we saw plenty of same sex couples. That's all.

Yes, we were at Sandals Montego Bay. I'm not in a same sex relationship, I'm married to a wonderful man, was just stating that it seemed that it didn't bother anyone at the resort and that we saw plenty of same sex couples. That's all.

That's good. I have an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality, but in my opinion, the fact that they (and perhaps Jamaica as a whole) are becoming more tolerant towards alternative lifestyles is truly wonderful. To others, evidently, being accepting of those who don't believe what we believe or practice what we practice is a "step backward." I guess I just never understood that mindset. I don't necessarily agree with everything I see every day, but I'm more of the "live and let live" type. I never felt like persecuting or excluding individuals because their views or desires differed from mine was beneficial in any way. However, apparently, this sort of stone age thinking still exists.

On a positive note, I have just returned from the Allure today! We decided on Bamboo Beach Club as I stated earlier and it was FANTASTIC!

Only complaint was a 1.5 hour bus ride (yes really was that long). The bus was in good condition and had AC! The food, drinks, and service were all great. The drinks were very strong and plentiful. If you wanted to get a massage on the beach, there was a sign up going around and it was $35 per person extra for 30 minutes. I did not opt for it.

The beach was wonderful and had a great singer the entire time. Only thing in regards to the beach was it was a bit rocky. But anywhere you go on Western Caribbean will be.

Please feel free to ask me questions and we will get this thread back on track! :)

Edited by Host Faith
removed portion regarding removed (derogatory) posts

On a positive note, I have just returned from the Allure today! We decided on Bamboo Beach Club as I stated earlier and it was FANTASTIC!

Only complaint was a 1.5 hour bus ride (yes really was that long). The bus was in good condition and had AC! The food, drinks, and service were all great. The drinks were very strong and plentiful. If you wanted to get a massage on the beach, there was a sign up going around and it was $35 per person extra for 30 minutes. I did not opt for it.

The beach was wonderful and had a great singer the entire time. Only thing in regards to the beach was it was a bit rocky. But anywhere you go on Western Caribbean will be.

Please feel free to ask me questions and we will get this thread back on track! :)

What was the price of the tour and were the drinks and food inclusive or did you have to pay extra for that? In general, what was included for the price you paid?

Edited by Host Faith

As I used this thread before my recent cruise on the Oasis, I thought I might share my experience in Falmouth, Jamaica.

We took a Royal Caribbean shore excursion called “Snorkel, Cruise and Dunn’s River Falls” that was scheduled for 7 hours.

It was very similar to an excursion that I took on my first cruise to Jamaica 20 years ago, only then my ship docked at Ocho Rios very close to Dunn’s River Falls.

From Falmouth, this excursion required an hour ride each way just to reach the beaches near Ocho Rios and Dunn’s River Falls. Originally, the tour was in a smallish bus, but they had 1 person too many, so they ask for 7 volunteers to get off and take a van. We volunteered and I wish we wouldn't of --the van had enough room but took a while to get cool in the back, and the tour guide on the van was inexperienced or a "B" or "C" list guide -- she didn't tell us much the entire ride to Ocho Rios.

Our tour headed to the Shaw Park Beach Hotel were we boarded a snorkel boat. The water is beautiful --as we headed to the reef we got our snorkel gear.

Our snorkel guide (with the boat) was terrific. He got everyone in our group of about 24 people in the water and led us over the reef. He took special care of “the little one” – as he called my 12-year-old niece who was the only kid on the tour. We snorkeled for about 45 minutes, before getting back on the boat, and then the boat took us to Dunn's River Falls.

At the falls, we had a different guide leading us (separate from our tour.) We had another guide with us who was creating a video throughout the climb that he tried to sell to everyone at the end of the climb.

At the top of the falls, our snorkel guide met us with our bags and towels. He expected a significant tip, and he had worked hard, so I thought he deserved it.

Our falls climbing guide also expected a significant tip. He had also shown us a good time.Then the video guy wanted $4o for the video. Sorry, no more money.

Then, of course, we had to walk back to the parking lot through a long throng of vendors trying to shove things in our hands to get us to buy them. For me, this is the unpleasant side of Jamaica came rushing back.

My issue with the shore excursion – what were we paying the $135 a person for? Basically, we paid $270 for a long van/bus ride from Falmouth to Ocho Rios, the snorkel boat, and lunch. The guides that did all of the work (snorkel guide and Falls Guide) were not with the tour company. The guide that was did nothing.

Lunch, which was included in our tour, didn't happen until nearly 4:30 pm. It was back at the Shaw Park Beach Hotel, where we had a buffet “lunch.” It was not that great, but every one was starving.

My bottom line: we loved the snorkeling and climbing Dunn's River Falls. If I was doing it again, I'd try to find a private tour or even a driver to take us to Dunn's River Falls and Snorkeling for a better to-and-from Falmouth experience.

Lots of photos of our day are this link: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/05/31/cruising-with-a-12-year-old-snorkling-and-dunns-river-falls-form-falmouth-jamaica/

• 3 months later...

Pauly- thank you for starting this thread! I have been trying to figure out what to do in Falmouth as well.

Does anyone have pictures of the port area and the craft market within? I can't get a good image in my head, and it seems like the only posted pictures are of Margaritaville, which isn't really what I want to see. I'd like to see the shopping/etc. within the gate that isn't a chain store (like the wood carvers or basket makers). Are the prices higher within the gate significantly?

A few years ago we did the Dunn's River/Tubing tour with Phil-but we left from Ocho Rios. This year I would like to do just some tubing and then do some shopping, but it sounds like all the tubing adventures are really far from the ship. Are there any close by? Which would be best for a 70 year old (my mom)?

I love the sharing of information here- it helps so much to prepare! Thank you for bringing us back on topic.

Megan.

Rafting on the Martha brae is good for any age and only about 3 miles out of Falmouth. Can be booked privately or from ship. Seven of us in my family did this two years ago, ages 6-61. A guide poles you down the lazy but scenic River. We had 3 separate rafts and we booked privately but were transported to the site with others from ship who paid about 20% more than we did.

I would like to hear info from someone who has ventured into town in Falmouth, the real town that is, not the one RCCL built. Supposedly there is much history there and some interesting old buildings. This is what we would like to do when there in December . Anyone done this??

I would like to hear info from someone who has ventured into town in Falmouth, the real town that is, not the one RCCL built. Supposedly there is much history there and some interesting old buildings. This is what we would like to do when there in December . Anyone done this??

I am thinking the same thing when I am there in Dec as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Pauly- thank you for starting this thread! I have been trying to figure out what to do in Falmouth as well.

Does anyone have pictures of the port area and the craft market within? I can't get a good image in my head, and it seems like the only posted pictures are of Margaritaville, which isn't really what I want to see. I'd like to see the shopping/etc. within the gate that isn't a chain store (like the wood carvers or basket makers). Are the prices higher within the gate significantly?

A few years ago we did the Dunn's River/Tubing tour with Phil-but we left from Ocho Rios. This year I would like to do just some tubing and then do some shopping, but it sounds like all the tubing adventures are really far from the ship. Are there any close by? Which would be best for a 70 year old (my mom)?

I love the sharing of information here- it helps so much to prepare! Thank you for bringing us back on topic.

Megan.

Here are some pictures from 2012. Not much has changed except the yellow highlighted area is where Margaritaville is now.

Falmouth_zps97ddf13d.jpg

• 2 months later...
Anyone who says this port is not safe is an idiot, it's the most pre-packaged port I've ever been to within a large fenced area. I did a beach tour to an amazing beach for $20 which included chairs and umbrellas

Can you let us know how you did this tour? Sounds very reasonable and is exactly what we want to do.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forums mobile app