Taking medications to Singapore

We are flying for the first time (always cruised roundtrips) overseas to Singapore to meet the Carnival Spirit in August and then sail home to Sydney. As this is a new experience for us and to avoid any issues when we fly into Changi Airport, I need information regarding taking personal (including prescription) medications - ie: blood pressure, diabetes, painkiller etc.

Could anyone that has flown to Singapore let me know what I need to take with us or need to arrange before we leave to ensure that we get through customs without any problems please? I have tried to look for the information on the internet, but the information that I’m finding is very confusing.

Thanks

JB

Just our experience....

We flew into Singapore 3 times between December 2014 and March 2015. Once from Christchurch, NZ, once from Sydney Australia, and once from Siem Reap, Cambodia. We had blood pressure medication for both of us, as well as pain killers and anti-nausea drugs. I always carry our medications in their original packaging, with all the chemist details attached, plus a list of prescriptions relevant to each of us. We just walked straight through Customs - there were staff there, but nobody stopped us to look at our bags or their contents, or ask us any questions about what we were carrying.

There is a form to be filled out, if your medications are on their list. Their list is quite extensive btw. This is easily emailed and for us took 2 days for approval. You do have to take copy of the approval with you. This web site explains all that you need to know.

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Regulation/Consumer_Information/Personal_Import_Regulations/bringing_personal_medication_into_Singapore.html

We were not checked, but better safe than sorry......could ruin a good cruise:)

Edited by bobhsv

Have been to Singapore more times that I can remember and have never had a problem with medications taken in.

Always advisable to get a letter from your personal Doctor before you leave listing your current medications and any other detail that could be useful in a medical emergency etc.

Don't sweat on this one it is not an issue.

There is a form to be filled out, if your medications are on their list. Their list is quite extensive btw. This is easily emailed and for us took 2 days for approval. You do have to take copy of the approval with you. This web site explains all that you need to know.

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Regulation/Consumer_Information/Personal_Import_Regulations/bringing_personal_medication_into_Singapore.html

We were not checked, but better safe than sorry......could ruin a good cruise:)

For our cruise last Christmas/New Year I used the hsa website and emailed them to check which of my medications needed to be named. Had a very helpful lady email back within two working days stating which ones I needed to write up. Seemed overwhelming at first, but ended up being quite ok. Again we were not checked, but found out later that my medication letter from them aligns itself with my passport and this is why I didn't get a second look.

I have always taken Nurofen Plus with me (it has codeine in it) and I only discovered a few months ago this is a no no for Singapore. I wont be bringing it this trip.

If you send them off an email and let them know how much codeine is in the medication you may find that they will tell you that it's ok. I had ibuprofen with codeine in it and they said that it was totally ok - so just check as it may be ok :)

If you send them off an email and let them know how much codeine is in the medication you may find that they will tell you that it's ok. I had ibuprofen with codeine in it and they said that it was totally ok - so just check as it may be ok :)

I think it goes on the amount you are bringing in and how long you are staying also. We had Panadeine Forte.

But yes, it is an easy process and worth a simple email for peace of mind (and safety).

We are flying for the first time (always cruised roundtrips) overseas to Singapore to meet the Carnival Spirit in August and then sail home to Sydney. As this is a new experience for us and to avoid any issues when we fly into Changi Airport, I need information regarding taking personal (including prescription) medications - ie: blood pressure, diabetes, painkiller etc.

Could anyone that has flown to Singapore let me know what I need to take with us or need to arrange before we leave to ensure that we get through customs without any problems please? I have tried to look for the information on the internet, but the information that I’m finding is very confusing.

Thanks

JB

Don't forget to put your prescription meds in a clear plastic bag in your hand luggage (handbag) and just hand them over for inspection - no issues. We have never had an issue - and we take quite a selection for one ailment or another diabetes, blood pressure, something to make you sleep, something to wake you up - the usual lolly shop items for "mature aged persons" :eek:

Better in your hand luggage than your cargo luggage - just in case of delays etc

As for Nurofen and the like, the chemists in Singapore are second to none - all there to buy

Edited by dizzy1948