Suggestions for NZ Land Tour Guides

PINEY10

We are planning to take a 35 day cruise starting in NZ and ending in Australia (2015). We would like to go to NZ at least a week early if not more. Below is the itinerary for our NZ part which granted is clearly not enough time to view the country.

I have read on these boards that the South Island is the better island to see but if possible, would like to do both but I think we will see both (limited) via the cruise. Any suggestions on great tour operators to set up a tour for us in NZ? Definitely have to do the part where Lord of the Rings was done but also want to see the natural beauty of the place. Any suggestions on tour guides/operators would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Day 1 Auckland, New Zealand

Day 2 Tauranga,New Zealand / Docked 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Day 3 At Sea

Day 4 Akaroa, New Zealand / Tendered 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Day 5 Dunedin, New Zealand / Docked 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Day 6 Dusky Sound / Cruising 8:00 AM 9:00 AM

Day 6 Doubtful Sound / Cruising 11:30 AM 1:00 PM

Day 6 Milford Sound, New Zealand / Cruising 4:30 PM 6:00 PM

If you can drive a car, I'd recommend making your own land tour. NZ is easily explored on a self drive holiday. If you don't get many responses on this thread, that might be an indication that most people don't do land tours in NZ.

I agree with the recommendations to visit South Island. I've been to both on a two week driving trip from Christchurch to Auckland. The South Island is one of my favorite places in the world. Trying to see both the South and North Islands in one week is too busy for my taste. Given your limited time, I'd recommend focusing on the South Island. You can see the most popular North Island spots in Auckland and during a shorex in Tauranga. A Lord of the Rings shorex is offered in Tauranga.

I would recommend staying in the Queenstown area and making day trips from there. My favorite places include Arrowtown, Manapouri, Te Anu, and the drive to Milford Sound via Homer tunnel. The area around Queenstown has spectacular scenery. This area is not accessible by cruise shore excursions, so you need to see this on a land trip.

You can then fly to Auckland a day or two before the cruise and see the local sights.

Thank you Mercruiser--that is very helpful information and much appreciated. I think the more I look at that the best thing is to do a self-drive tour. BUt the suggestion to stay at Queenstown is a good one if not too hard to drive around the island.

If you can drive a car, I'd recommend making your own land tour. NZ is easily explored on a self drive holiday. If you don't get many responses on this thread, that might be an indication that most people don't do land tours in NZ.

I agree with the recommendations to visit South Island. I've been to both on a two week driving trip from Christchurch to Auckland. The South Island is one of my favorite places in the world. Trying to see both the South and North Islands in one week is too busy for my taste. Given your limited time, I'd recommend focusing on the South Island. You can see the most popular North Island spots in Auckland and during a shorex in Tauranga. A Lord of the Rings shorex is offered in Tauranga.

I would recommend staying in the Queenstown area and making day trips from there. My favorite places include Arrowtown, Manapouri, Te Anu, and the drive to Milford Sound via Homer tunnel. The area around Queenstown has spectacular scenery. This area is not accessible by cruise shore excursions, so you need to see this on a land trip.

You can then fly to Auckland a day or two before the cruise and see the local sights.

Some ships offer a 2-day land excursion between Dunedin and Milford Sound, with an overnight in Queenstown. We will do that on our Jan. 2014 Celebrity Solstice cruise.

When the cruise ends in Auckland, I will spend 2 additional weeks on the South Island. I booked a 9-night backpacker-type tour with Flying Kiwi (http://www.flyingkiwi.com/) - preceded by 4 days of solo travel by bus and train from Queenstown to Wanaka, Franz Josef, Christchurch, and Picton. I'm sure most Australia/NZ cruisers don't want to rough it that much, but I'm looking forward to the adventure. :D

Archived