San Juan Happy Tours

EJPhilly

I have some firsthand info to share about San Juan Happy Tours. I had emailed them about the post-cruise rain forest tour. They responded with the price and what stops they make and where to find them at the port. I thought everything was set. When we debarked the ship, we found the guys in the blue shirts from the tour company and said we were here to do the rain forest tour. They said oh, we're not going there today. Needless to say, we were not happy. I got the impression that the driver has to be licensed to tour in the national park, and these guys didn't have a license. We ended up taking a taxi to the airport and rented a car and drove there ourselves. Bottom line, doesn't appear you can depend on them.

We used them in October! There were 8 of us. They did not take reservations. We just walked off the ship and went to their stand. They had quite a few small buses waiting to load up. They had plenty of room for us and our luggage. We did about an 1-1.5 hour tour (stopped at the capitol building, drove by the forts) and then they dropped us off in Old town to wander around and grab a bite to eat. Two of our friends had to be at the airport much earlier than us, so they took them to the airport while we ate lunch and then came back for us. They picked us up at Columbus Square. It had begun to rain and the driver saw us standing in a doorway and drove over to pick us up right at the steps! The tour guide we had was excellent. We had been to San Juan two previous times and still learned a lot! I thought it was a great way to spend the day when you have a late flight. We didn't have to worry about our luggage and we weren't sitting in an airport all day.

Edited by bbyost

There are 16 of us cruising out of SJ this Sat. and we are planning on using Happy Tours again at the end of our Adventure of the Seas Cruise. When we used them in Oct. I contacted them by phone, not by email. They have been in business for over 40 years and were very professional, so I hope they are still operating the tours!!

• 1 month later...

Sorry that I forgot to update when we arrived home! Our group opted to do the early departure from the ship, taking our bags off the ship ourselves. We left our cabin around 7am and we were through customs by 7:20am. 4 of us chose to grab a cab and go straight to Old San Juan and drop our bags at Barrachina. We were dropped off at the front door to Barrachina, checked our bags and we were back out on the street by 7:45am!

The other 12 in our group grabbed one of the two "San Juan Happy Tours" that were waiting at the dock. They loaded up there luggage and we're off about the same time we were. We ran into them later on the streets of Old San Juan after they'd been given a tour of San Juan. They still had time for lunch and some shopping in Old San Juan before the Happy Tour driver returned to take them to the airport. They were quite "happy" with their tour!

I read Barrachina doesn't open till 9. Do they have someone there just to handle luggage that early? Are you given a ticket or something to redeem your bags? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were also told that Barrachina didn't open until 9am, but our cab driver said someone would be there. And yes, there were a few people working. The doors were opened so we walked in and through to the back. A man immediately came up and showed us where to place our luggage and gave us a ticket for it.

We were also told that Barrachina didn't open until 9am, but our cab driver said someone would be there. And yes, there were a few people working. The doors were opened so we walked in and through to the back. A man immediately came up and showed us where to place our luggage and gave us a ticket for it.

Great, thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 years later...

I know this is old, but I'm sure others have the same question. We went back and forth on this and ended up doing it ourselves. A Trip Advisor review from just last week (positive review) indicated the cost was $30/per person. You can get to Old San Juan and to the airport via taxi for less than $30/pp. We just did it ourselves. We had them drop us at Barrachina to store our luggage. The taxi driver picked us up at the same place at the time we specified. No need to book an excursion through the cruise line or a tour company.