Santorini OIA DIY

gethin90

I have seen a number of threads regarding Santorini and tried doing our own research. We are looking forward to Santorini more than any other port on the cruise, so want to make the most of it.

The plan is to cable car up to fira and bus to Oia first thing. What's the frequency of buses like getting back to Fira from Oia, or the number of taxis? Last thing I would want is to get stuck over there and trying to avoid renting a car if possible. (there are four ships in port on that day in May) and it is a Saturday. Thanks

I would suggest taking the ferry from the landing area where the cable car is. Then a bus back. The bus fare is included in your ferry price.

In Oia, the bus stop and taxi stand are in the same area. If you take the bus over (I think they run every 30 minutes), and when you are ready to return, and you go to the bus stop area, you may find taxis at the stand. We just hopped in a taxi, didn't have to wait for the bus.

A few years ago the taxi was $20 euros (4 people). The bus was 2 euros/pp, IIRC.

Thank you for your response. I think we will DIY Santorini and get the ferry to OIA first thing then we should have plenty of time to make our way back to Fira for the cable car.

Hi Gethin90 - how did you find how many ships in port? I have searched cruise timetable and they are not showing ships for May. We will also be in Santorini in May and are thinking of perhaps asking others to join us for a private tour.

Hi Gethin90 - how did you find how many ships in port? I have searched cruise timetable and they are not showing ships for May. We will also be in Santorini in May and are thinking of perhaps asking others to join us for a private tour.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

If you search Ports - Greece, Santorini and then the date your expected there it will show what ships are in port that day. When we are there on the 28th there is 4 in total. Jewel OTS Rhapsody OTS and two others.