use of safe

ahh yes...but then they may consider adding daily pp service charges like p&o do

TBH, Geo, I don't mind paying the gratuities (although ours were included in the price but we could have had them taken off). They do go to the crew, I doubt that the money from the safes does.

On our recent cruise the gratuities were less than we give out in tips on Thomson. We did tip over and above the gratuities but it worked out about the same amount overall.

With the safe, it just seems an unjustifiable charge.

Good news, Baggers. I am very happy with that :)

I think you are right about the competition. We are having to fly from Manchester for our Celebration cruise in the Caribbean but could fly from our local airport with P&O for much less than we are paying Thomson and could have steak without having to pay £10 extra!

Perhaps the new CEO will scrap charges for safes too ;)

And the steak isn't that great for a tenner either, not in my experience.

We've booked to do the TA on the Dream in December over to the Caribbean, but are looking at P&O for our next cruise! Been getting a bit miffed with Thomson's ways!

just a side note re the safe....we never use the safe on dream...the fridge has a lock & key (dunno if insurance would consider that to be 'reasonable precautions'? in the event of a claim tho?)

Not sure my phone and tablet like to be 'freshly chilled' :D:D:D

We always pay for the safe, it is a bit excessive, but if Thomson made these free, they'd only start charging for something else, like a door key :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're welcome. I only found it last week after digging around the Thomson site to find it, as wanted to know what was included.

It's nice that they're getting a bit innovative, but maybe more to do with the anouncement yesterday that they're also selling flights with other airlines as part of their packages? When it comes to long haul, the majority of airlines include drinks as standard so customers would have probably chosen other flights over Thomson Airways?!?

It definitely includes flights to join Thomson Cruises as it's promoted on every Caribbean page in their latest brochure, but whether it includes P&O charters I don't know!

What is included on the flight is basically what P&O want to offer as they are paying for the whole plane!.

ahh yes...but then they may consider adding daily pp service charges like p&o do

they would be reluctant to do that as they could no longer use the 'tips included' incentive.

then they would have to reduce the cruise fare to remove those 'tips' before adding it back on as a daily charge. If they did not do this it would be obvious it was a money making scam that the crew would not see a penny of.

And the steak isn't that great for a tenner either, not in my experience.

We've booked to do the TA on the Dream in December over to the Caribbean, but are looking at P&O for our next cruise! Been getting a bit miffed with Thomson's ways!

I sent 3 back on the last night of our last Thomson cruise. I had one previously that was small but very nice, so they are obviously a hit or miss.

I sent 3 back on the last night of our last Thomson cruise. I had one previously that was small but very nice, so they are obviously a hit or miss.

I had a couple on last year's cruise, and they were OK, but much prefer a good rump or sirloin steak if I'm honest.

I thought the 'Angus' steak was worth around a fiver, maybe seven at the most, but a tenner was a bit steep, with it's four accompanying chips!!!

Have I remembered right, were you on the TA on the Dream last Nov/Dec? Or have I got you mixed up with someone else?

Edited by BaggersCruising

I had a couple on last year's cruise, and they were OK, but much prefer a good rump or sirloin steak if I'm honest.

I thought the 'Angus' steak was worth around a fiver, maybe seven at the most, but a tenner was a bit steep, with it's four accompanying chips!!!

Have I remembered right, were you on the TA on the Dream last Nov/Dec? Or have I got you mixed up with someone else?

That's right, Baggers, I was. Well remembered :)

That's right, Baggers, I was. Well remembered :)

Thought I recognised your username.

I've got to admit, that was a good cruise, and the itinerary was fantastic on it, apart from missing out on Grand Cayman!

That was our first TA and wasn't cure how six days at sea would fare, but thought it was brilliant tbh, gave us a chance to relax!

I've got to admit, that was a good cruise, and the itinerary was fantastic on it, apart from missing out on Grand Cayman!

That was our first TA and wasn't cure how six days at sea would fare, but thought it was brilliant tbh, gave us a chance to relax!

We loved it. Like you, I wasn't sure about the sea days but I really enjoyed the relaxation and there were plenty of things to do if you were so inclined.

We loved the itinerary, it really was a fantastic cruise. We fell in love with the Caribbean and have booked to go back in February to the Eastern Islands this time, although I was tempted to go back to Cuba.

Don't know why we didn't meet up, Baggers. Lots of us did and we made some lovely friends and had such a lovely time.

just a side note re the safe....we never use the safe on dream...the fridge has a lock & key ;) (dunno if insurance would consider that to be 'reasonable precautions'? in the event of a claim tho?)

Ooooh! Never thought of that. But would any key fit any fridge?

I have a bone to pick with Dream Reception, because they charged £30 for 2 weeks on 23.2.14 for the safe and when I queried it they said it had just gone up. Sadly it got charged on my friend's account so I have got no proof.

Oh Baggers, we were on that cruise too. Such a shame we didn't manage to say hello. As Nell says quite a few of us managed to meet up - and we met some great people!

I agree about the itinerary. Fab! And we too found the TA enjoyable, much to our surprise. Never thought we would but went because of the PofC once in the Caribbean. We did the chocolate making course each day (yum, yum) and a Ferdie's wine tasting...... Surprising how enjoyable 'wasting' time can be! :D

Going back to the complimentary drinks, I remember the first time we did a Caribbean cruise on Destiny we had a glass of wine served with our lunch. It never happened again.

I wonder geo whether this new development is actually an 'open bar' inasmuch as you could keep asking for a drink as often as you want (which perhaps you can in Premium - I've never done that so don't know) but more that when they come round with the trolley drinks that these are provided free rather than payable as is the case now.

If so, you could have only as many drinks as times that refreshments are brought round. I'm really pleased to hear of this new initiative and not knocking it at all but think it may not be like an AI with unlimited drinks but more free instead of payable drinks on a limited number of occasions.

Will be interesting to hear how it works from November. Very acceptable though and tbh I don't think it's good to drink much on long haul for a number of reasons so I'd be happy with the odd drink and free teas/coffee, so good news. ;)

Oh Baggers, we were on that cruise too. Such a shame we didn't manage to say hello. As Nell says quite a few of us managed to meet up - and we met some great people!

I agree about the itinerary. Fab! And we too found the TA enjoyable, much to our surprise. Never thought we would but went because of the PofC once in the Caribbean. We did the chocolate making course each day (yum, yum) and a Ferdie's wine tasting...... Surprising how enjoyable 'wasting' time can be! :D

Going back to the complimentary drinks, I remember the first time we did a Caribbean cruise on Destiny we had a glass of wine served with our lunch. It never happened again.

I wonder geo whether this new development is actually an 'open bar' inasmuch as you could keep asking for a drink as often as you want (which perhaps you can in Premium - I've never done that so don't know) but more that when they come round with the trolley drinks that these are provided free rather than payable as is the case now.

If so, you could have only as many drinks as times that refreshments are brought round. I'm really pleased to hear of this new initiative and not knocking it at all but think it may not be like an AI with unlimited drinks but more free instead of payable drinks on a limited number of occasions.

Will be interesting to hear how it works from November. Very acceptable though and tbh I don't think it's good to drink much on long haul for a number of reasons so I'd be happy with the odd drink and free teas/coffee, so good news. ;)

they only come around with the drinks trolley a couple of times during the flight in premium, plus, you get a pre takeoff half a cup of fizz/orange juice, wine served with the meal, a drink with the snack and they pass around a basket of bite size chocolates about mid flight ...if you want a drink in between you can go the galley and they will serve you whatever you want

on overnighters they dont come around with the drinks trolley (apart from serving the meals) as passengers complain it wakes them up....but you can go to the galley

ms magot tends to get her 6 little bottles of baileys as soon as she possibly can.....then stashes them in the seat pocket for (her exclusive) use throughout the flight....saves having to keep bothering the crew....I have seen others who hang around in the galley/near the galley and are drinking throughout

whether it will work this same way in economy?? ...we will have to wait and see…. might cause a bit of crush near the galleys?

Edited by geomagot

they only come around with the drinks trolley a couple of times during the flight in premium, plus, you get a pre takeoff half a cup of fizz/orange juice, wine served with the meal, a drink with the snack and they pass around a basket of bite size chocolates about mid flight ...if you want a drink in between you can go the galley and they will serve you whatever you want

on overnighters they dont come around with the drinks trolley (apart from serving the meals) as passengers complain it wakes them up....but you can go to the galley

ms magot tends to get her 6 little bottles of baileys as soon as she possibly can.....then stashes them in the seat pocket for (her exclusive) use throughout the flight....saves having to keep bothering the crew....I have seen others who hang around in the galley/near the galley and are drinking throughout

whether it will work this same way in economy?? ...we will have to wait and see…. might cause a bit of crush near the galleys?

The one and only time we flew premium (long haul), some passengers used the bar very well and got rather loud and it was then announced that they would be shutting the free bar as they were running out of drink, about 2/3 hours before landing.

We loved it. Like you, I wasn't sure about the sea days but I really enjoyed the relaxation and there were plenty of things to do if you were so inclined.

We loved the itinerary, it really was a fantastic cruise. We fell in love with the Caribbean and have booked to go back in February to the Eastern Islands this time, although I was tempted to go back to Cuba.

Don't know why we didn't meet up, Baggers. Lots of us did and we made some lovely friends and had such a lovely time.

I remember there was talk of a meet up at sailaway from Lisbon. Not sure if it happened in the end, but we didn't make it. Was far too tired, so we ended up on the top deck briefly before grabbing a quick bite and having an early night!

We made some great friends too, so much so that we're going with some of them on the TA again this December! We found everyone even more friendly than on the normal back to back cruises. I'm guessing it's because everyone was on for the same length of time so there wasn't a 'changeover' day half way through the cruise.

The itinerary isn't quite as good this year, as it's mainly going to the Eastern Caribbean and the ABC islands that we've done before, but still nice and weather's always pretty much guaranteed over there.

I definitely remember your username kruzseeka, as there was a very good thread on here in the roll call section before we went.

I mentioned that there was talk of a meet up, but we didn't make it, so not sure if it did happen. Who knows, we may have said hello while we were on there, and none the wiser who we were lol.

I did the creative writing course which was good, although it took the author taking the group a few days to get used to my sense of humour. Don't think they're doing that course this year so hope I didn't put her off doing it again :eek:

Going back to the complimentary drinks, if it's like any other airline, drinks are available at any time, you just have to pop to the galley and request one inbetween trolley trips. They're usually very good, especially on night flights. This time for us though, we've got a short flight out and the long one back, and don't wanna be drinking too much on the night flight, not with having to drive home on Christmas Eve.

I remember there was talk of a meet up at sailaway from Lisbon. Not sure if it happened in the end, but we didn't make it. Was far too tired, so we ended up on the top deck briefly before grabbing a quick bite and having an early night!

We made some great friends too, so much so that we're going with some of them on the TA again this December! We found everyone even more friendly than on the normal back to back cruises. I'm guessing it's because everyone was on for the same length of time so there wasn't a 'changeover' day half way through the cruise.

The itinerary isn't quite as good this year, as it's mainly going to the Eastern Caribbean and the ABC islands that we've done before, but still nice and weather's always pretty much guaranteed over there.

Hi baggers, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but I have been busy with house guests.

Yes, we did meet up at the table tennis table at the Sailaway party :D Pity you couldn't make it :o

I agree about the friendly atmosphere on the TA. I remember Skioncruises commenting on that a while ago, that there is a different atmosphere on TAs and I would have to agree with that.

I think most people made new friends on that trip. We were together for a long time!

I would love to do another long one like that.

I see from your reply to Kruzseeka that you attended the creative writing class, so I suspect our paths crossed and we didn't realise. I played bridge every morning and we were usually just packing up when the creative writing people arrived. In actual fact my bridge partner and I played against Hilary Green and her husband David and we enjoyed that so much. I did buy one of her books but I haven't got round to reading it yet :o

• 2 weeks later...
Hi baggers, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but I have been busy with house guests.

Yes, we did meet up at the table tennis table at the Sailaway party :D Pity you couldn't make it :o

I agree about the friendly atmosphere on the TA. I remember Skioncruises commenting on that a while ago, that there is a different atmosphere on TAs and I would have to agree with that.

I think most people made new friends on that trip. We were together for a long time!

I would love to do another long one like that.

I see from your reply to Kruzseeka that you attended the creative writing class, so I suspect our paths crossed and we didn't realise. I played bridge every morning and we were usually just packing up when the creative writing people arrived. In actual fact my bridge partner and I played against Hilary Green and her husband David and we enjoyed that so much. I did buy one of her books but I haven't got round to reading it yet :o

I'm not much better with replies at the moment, had so much going on recently!

Yes, I remember all the Bridge players being 'turfed out' at midday for our class! I also noticed that Hilary and her husband did play a lot of bridge!

We enjoyed the atmosphere so much, that we're off again this year, with people we met on there last year! So hopefully should be a good laugh again, and with the upgrades that they're doing to the Dream, should be even better!