Easily accessible beaches

athena73

I will be traveling to GC in September with my Mom. She is mobile, but does not maneuver well on sand and does not want to lay in the sun, but wants to be on the beach in the shade. On the other hand, I maneuver fine and do want to lay in the sun. I am looking for the best place that might have board walks or hard packed sand, seating in the shade close to seating in the sun and otherwise easily accessible.

not beach ... but right on the water

check out Sunset House

I'd take mom to 'My Bar'

she can sit in the shade or walk the grounds and you can lay by the pool .... a cold drink and lunch is 'right there'

http://www.sunsethouse.com/

the view from My Bar, towards town and the ships

100_0111_zps23c7f245.jpg

view from my balcony on my last stay

100_0097_zpscd948af3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Can cruise guests use the pool at Sunset House? If so, how much would taxi fare be for 4 people to get there and is there an entrance fee?

The couple of times we were there, we stopped in at the dive shop before heading to the MyBar area where we kind of "camped" for the day. The gentleman at the dive shop told us where the good snorkeling was, and when we told him we had our own gear, he offered a swim vest, which we did not use. He said we could use the pool if we wanted. We did not use the pool, but did use the showers there. The pool is not large, but would do if you wanted to dunk in and cool off a bit. We did feel the need to purchase some food and beverages at the bar since we didn't have to pay an entrance fee. I think this is only right. They let us use their facilities without question, the least we could do was order some food and drinks! It was lovely! We could have sat at MyBar for hours and hours.....which we did, with some snorkeling in between. We love it there.

As far a taxis, we had a VERY difficult time finding a taxi to take us there due to the close proximity to town (we did not know how close it was the first time). Most taxis told us they did not go there (due to the small fare, assumably) and when we found one, we were not even in the cab for 5 minutes and we were there. We were a little embarrassed that we made a cab take us the mile walk from town, but payed him well for doing so. I don't remember the price. $10 maybe? That was a few years ago, as we now walk there. We walked back to town.