Solstice 1609 (Alaska)

gskimmel

Hi,

I am currently booked in 1619 (CS) for Alaska, sailing on the Solstice. However, I am saving $1300 from another cruise that I figured I can apply to my Alaska sailing for a better suite. All said and done, for an extra $1900 I can get a Royal Suite (#1609). While the extra amount is still within budget, I don't spend just because I can. As we've never been to Alaska and I want to make the overall experience memorable, do you think I should pull the trigger and finalize the Royal Suite? With the hot tub on the balcony, I'm imagining how great it would be with us in it as we sail by the glacier sipping wine.

We love the Royal Suite. It really is a very nice sized room and balcony. The additional perks of premium drinks package, unlimited speciality dining, spirits and bar set up.....what's not to like!

Enjoy your holiday!

Well done on booking your Royal Suite, only problem is once you have experienced it you will not want to go back.

Your conceirge will, I think, be a lady called Samantha who will look after you in Michael's. Make the most of your cruise, we are so looking forward to boarding Solstice again in March (Australia). Yes, it has to be a Royal Suite.

Have an amazing cruise!

Hi,

I am currently booked in 1619 (CS) for Alaska, sailing on the Solstice. However, I am saving $1300 from another cruise that I figured I can apply to my Alaska sailing for a better suite. All said and done, for an extra $1900 I can get a Royal Suite (#1609). While the extra amount is still within budget, I don't spend just because I can. As we've never been to Alaska and I want to make the overall experience memorable, do you think I should pull the trigger and finalize the Royal Suite? With the hot tub on the balcony, I'm imagining how great it would be with us in it as we sail by the glacier sipping wine.

Having done Alaska on the Solstice, I should point out that it is great to sit on a veranda however when going into the glaciers, etc you really want to see both sides. Solstice has a great naturalist who narrates while pulling into Sawyer glacier and for me seeing both sides was important. I know that goes against what people might thing but that's the way I saw it.

I can't wait to try Royal Suite myself. But I have a long wait (July 15, 2016). I'll be on the Solstice Alaska as well. If your trip is first, I'd love to here about your experience in Royal.

You'll be on her first...we sail August 19, 2016

On recent cruises we have had invites to the Helipad for either sail always or specific sightseeing. We have been given champagne or hot chocolate and blankets dependent on location. Seems to be a regular event now.

We're just off the Solstice this morning after a week in RS 1607 - one cabin forward of 1609. It was worth every single penny and Samantha, the Michael's Club concierge, is worth more than her weight in gold.

I'll have a more detailed review coming out in the next few days with pictures, but for now I can say that if you book the RS you will likely receive an invite to the helipad for Tracy Arm, unless the weather makes it dangerous for one reason or another. It was *cold* when we went so go prepared.

The naturalist on our cruise, Brent Nixon, was also very entertaining while hugely educational. I'm sorry I missed so many of his talks.

We were on the June 12 Solstice trip. Stayed in a Sky Suite. Got the invite to the helipad for Tracy Arm, and it was a highlight. Room was on an aft corner with wraparound balcony. Upgrade to premium beverage was ten per day, and room comes with Luminae restaurant. Also comes with one other specialty dining nite. The other specialities were not a lot if we had chosen that for more nights. Mjchael's didn't hold much attraction for us since we like to roam and meet folks. For the pieces we preferred the sky suite was perfect. Other suites were 2,500 higher.

We're just off the Solstice this morning after a week in RS 1607 - one cabin forward of 1609. It was worth every single penny and Samantha, the Michael's Club concierge, is worth more than her weight in gold.

I'll have a more detailed review coming out in the next few days with pictures, but for now I can say that if you book the RS you will likely receive an invite to the helipad for Tracy Arm, unless the weather makes it dangerous for one reason or another. It was *cold* when we went so go prepared.

The naturalist on our cruise, Brent Nixon, was also very entertaining while hugely educational. I'm sorry I missed so many of his talks.

Thank you so much, this makes me more excited for my trip next year in Royal. I read a lot about Aqua but not much on the royal suites. Sounds like I made a great choice. Can't wait for your review.

We have booked a royal suite (1116) for our Alaska cruise 24/6/16. Travelling with my sister and brother in law we have booked S1 and next door S2 for myself on previous cruises but realised it was CHEAPER to have all 3 of us in a Royal with all the added extras included. I know it involves me on the lounge bed but I believe there is a second toilet and washbasin so I am happy with that.

We will try anything once and the Royal looks great. Hope we are not disappointed!

Hi Ayton Lady,

You will find the Royal Suite perfect for three. On S class ships we always have a RS when our adult son joins us. He is 6 foot and finds the sofa bed very comfortable! The extra toilet and washbasin do also give everyone a bit more privacy.

To us the added bonus is we all have the RS perks of spirits, bar set up, Michael's Club, premium drinks package and unlimited fine dining. Although the initial cost seems high for three travellers it makes great sense.

Hi,

We also were on the helipad and received blankets and hot chocolate it was quit flexing:)

• 2 months later...
You'll be on her first...we sail August 19, 2016

So excited to find someone else who will be on our cruise! There doesn't seem to be a roll call for it yet.

I'm new on cruise critic although I've been reading for a while.

My twin sister and I will be in a Celebrity Suite, first cruise for both,

my first time to Alaska, celebrating a major birthday the day we leave Seattle.

I live Baltimore/she Seattle and we considered Vancouver cruises but went for

the convenience of free place to stay before/after and my BIL to drop us off and pick us up.

She said she was fine without Glacier Bay. We've booked the catamaran Tracy Arm excursion.

Edited by twins_to_alaska