Renting car to go to rainforest

kbutler48

My husband and I will be in San Juan on Allure of the Seas in August from from 7 am to 3 pm. We booked the trip pretty late so a lot of the rainforest tours are already sold out. We have the option of going through RCI but it's expensive and we generally prefer to do things on our own instead of on a tour.

Last time we were in Puerto Rico, I didn't want to rent a car because I had read traffic is horrible and since it was our first time, I was nervous. This time, I'm considering renting a car near the cruise port and driving to the rainforest to explore on our own.

Looking for thoughts, advice, rental car recommendations, etc. We've driven in NYC, around the northeast, in other countries, etc. so we aren't concerned with the crazy drivers.

Thanks in advance!!

My husband and I will be in San Juan on Allure of the Seas in August from from 7 am to 3 pm. We booked the trip pretty late so a lot of the rainforest tours are already sold out. We have the option of going through RCI but it's expensive and we generally prefer to do things on our own instead of on a tour.

Last time we were in Puerto Rico, I didn't want to rent a car because I had read traffic is horrible and since it was our first time, I was nervous. This time, I'm considering renting a car near the cruise port and driving to the rainforest to explore on our own.

Looking for thoughts, advice, rental car recommendations, etc. We've driven in NYC, around the northeast, in other countries, etc. so we aren't concerned with the crazy drivers.

Thanks in advance!!

Don't know about PR rain forest. But, in Hawaii, you need to sign that you will not take the rental car off road (and it's fairly obvious if you do).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To kbutler48

Renting a car in PR.

We have done the rain forest and you have to walk to the big falls. Just find a spot on the side of the road and park if you can find a spot. The first falls there is a small parking lot.

We ALWAYS use Charlie Cars, fantastic rates and you can call they may pick you up at the port. They have several locations and you can drop the car off at the main Charlie car rental and they will take you back to the airport.

We usually use them before our cruise, they pick us up at the airport no charge just tip, we get our car at the main rental then drop it off at their cruise drop off and then they take us to the ship we just have to tip them. We have NEVER (so far) had to wait more then 5 mins to get to the ships but it's at least a 20 mins if your waiting at the airport to catch it to the rental place.

I will always rent from them they have always treated us right and are some of the nicest people!

Look them up!![emoji846]

We drove from San Juan to the rain forest, no problems with traffic, roads, drivers or rental car. Our cruise was originating in Puerto Rico and we were exploring a few days before sailing. As I recall it took a good 45 minutes to an hour to get to El Yunque so wondering if you'll have enough time?

We were planning on doing the same thing but now our port time changed to 7am to 2pm. We had a jeep rented from Hertz but they don't open until 8 am. I don't think we will have time now. You might want to check to see if your port time also changed. A few people on our cruise received an e-mail from RC but we did not. Logged into my cruises and the times were changed. Now I have no idea what we are going to do

We were planning on doing the same thing but now our port time changed to 7am to 2pm. We had a jeep rented from Hertz but they don't open until 8 am. I don't think we will have time now. You might want to check to see if your port time also changed. A few people on our cruise received an e-mail from RC but we did not. Logged into my cruises and the times were changed. Now I have no idea what we are going to do

Oh man, you're right! I had no idea as we didn't receive an email either. I guess the rainforest excursion is out :( Not sure what we'll do either.

I didn't think the roads were bad, or that the drivers were any worse than any big American city. Definitely more organized roads and highways and driving rules than other Caribbean places.

I don't think you'll have enough time to do that on a port stop though. I seem to recall it taking a large portion of our day to drive there, find parking and enjoy the hike. It would be extremely rushed to rent a car and then get to the rainforest and back in such a short time. You have to consider that you won't get off the ship immediately at 7, you'll have to get to the rental car place and do the paperwork etc, then drive the hour to the rainforest, while making sure you are back in your car to get to the ship before sail away, which means being on the ship before 2.

I personally wouldn't do it. Visit the forts or go to some of the authentic restaurants and do some shopping instead. Go back someday for a cruise that leaves from San Juan (those cruises visit much better ports too!) That way you can visit the rainforest without stress, and do the BioBay if you're into that kind of adventure.

• 4 weeks later...

This is do-able IF you're at the port rental location office's door when they open at 8am. If you're on your car by 9am you should reach El Yunque by 10am. With the ship departing at 2pm (boarding time more than likely at 1:30pm) you should have about 2 hrs. to explore the rain forest. Just to be on the safe side, you should be making your way back by noon. Remember that you will likely encounter traffic at the forest due to tour buses that left the port much earlier that you did. Traffic to/from the port shouldn't be too bad and you use highways about 1/2 the trip. There are two toll along the way so be sure to pay for the toll pass.