Gluten Free on CONQUEST

Thomas7

I have read great things about Gluten Free options on Carnival cruises. I am wondering if anyone has any first-hand experiences or tips regarding this. We will be travelling with our 3 year old daughter who has Celiac Disease.

So far I know that the main dining room will be the friendliest place for us, as they have GF pasta, but I also heard that the pizzeria will have a gluten free option as well. Does anyone know if Guy's Burger Joint has GF hamburgers, and also if their french fries are gluten free, i.e., do they fry them in their own dedicated deep fryer.

Any help on this topic would be much appreciated!

Thomas

I have read great things about Gluten Free options on Carnival cruises. I am wondering if anyone has any first-hand experiences or tips regarding this. We will be travelling with our 3 year old daughter who has Celiac Disease.

So far I know that the main dining room will be the friendliest place for us, as they have GF pasta, but I also heard that the pizzeria will have a gluten free option as well. Does anyone know if Guy's Burger Joint has GF hamburgers, and also if their french fries are gluten free, i.e., do they fry them in their own dedicated deep fryer.

Any help on this topic would be much appreciated!

Thomas

Be very careful!!! I just read a review of a woman who also had Celiac and had many problems during her cruise.

Keep away from all the sauces and never be afraid to keep ensuring that the food your child is eating truly is gluten free.

I recommend ONLY EATING IN THE DINING ROOM for ALL meals!!! OUr friends daughter with severe allergies can't eat anywhere but the main dining room because they can't guarantee that the food anywhere else won't be in contact with the things she is allergic too. Remember esp. in buffet the thongs used to pick up various foods don't always end up where they started.

I hope you have a great cruise , and I don't mean to sound so harsh but knowing many people with Celiac I understand the dangers and seriousness of the disease and the worries you have as parents to keep your child healthy, esp. when on a vacation.

Good Luck!!!

I was on a gluten free diet due to a condition just before I cruised and although I could eat gluten a celiac lady on one of our tours heard me talking and said she always had gluten free options at breakfast when she asked and the staff were very keen to help with her dietry choices or make up something and get her things from the kitchen so things weren't contaminated. She also said the Maitre d or head waiter would come to her every evening at dinner and explain the menu and the options there or options he could do for her requirements. She seemed very satisfied.

This was on the Legend in Europe last year so no info on guys burgers.

Edited by Velvetwater

In the MDR every evening, the "Special Needs Hostess" will come to your table and go through the menu for the next day in the dining room, breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you stick to the dining room you should be fine. On the galley tour we found out there is a special Kitchen area specifically for restricted diets, so no problem with cross contamination. With the buffet you are on your own.

Very easy to be gluten free with Carnival. As others have said, the MDR room is your best bet. Also when you order your dinner for the next night, you can also order breakfast too. Then you just show up in the morning, tell your room number and they will bring to your table.

On Liberty they had GF buns at Guys after embarkation. My DD requires GF. When they asked at that first lunch they were told they had run out the previous cruise and expected to have more delivered on the ship that day. They did and DD got them both sea days. Loved them.

You can also ask for a fresh omelette with a fresh pan at the omelette station. She did that one morning and loved it.

Oh and they will make GF warm chocolate melting cake upon request. Our hostess told me they can make almost anything she wants as a GF dish.

Edited by wantocruisemore

You can get a gf pizza and they are awful. When your request it, you can get it the next day. I think maybe dough is frozen and needs to be thawed. They run it through the oven on it's own pan. Maybe they are better now???

I had the fries at guys, no problem but you should verify with them. The burgers are supposed to be fine of course no bun. I don't eat beef so did not try them.

The deli has gf bread and they will change gloves when you request gf. A problem I saw there when I asked for tuna on gf bread is she asked if I wanted my sandwich grilled. Of course then it would have been contaminated.

When ordering at Guy's make sure you tell them you want Gluten Free. The Fries are normally made in a fryer that can have cross contamination. They will make you a fresh batch in a separate fryer.

Also, you can get scrambled eggs or omelettes made at the omelet station with fresh eggs. The regular egg mix does contain gluten so make sure you order those with fresh eggs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have celiac and just got back from cruising on the Valor. I did great in the MDR. But the buffet was a different story. I got very sick the first day because the woman who took me around and told me what was safe to eat was wrong about the carved roast beef. They glaze it with soy sauce according to the chef I later had a meeting with. Three different people gave me three different answers about the sauces at the Mongolian wok. I became afraid to eat at the buffet and went to guest services who arranged a meeting for me with the head Lidio sous chef. He said to call him whenever I wanted to eat in the buffet and he would help me out, not a simple or quick option since my phone was in airplane mode and the chef was very busy.

The MDR is not open for lunch so this was a problem. Fortunately I bring my own stash of gluten-free food when I travel. The MDR was great. They will take your order for the next night's dinner each night and most of it was good. The melting cake was exceptional!

I have celiac and just got back from cruising on the Valor. I did great in the MDR. But the buffet was a different story. I got very sick the first day because the woman who took me around and told me what was safe to eat was wrong about the carved roast beef. They glaze it with soy sauce according to the chef I later had a meeting with. Three different people gave me three different answers about the sauces at the Mongolian wok. I became afraid to eat at the buffet and went to guest services who arranged a meeting for me with the head Lidio sous chef. He said to call him whenever I wanted to eat in the buffet and he would help me out, not a simple or quick option since my phone was in airplane mode and the chef was very busy.

The MDR is not open for lunch so this was a problem. Fortunately I bring my own stash of gluten-free food when I travel. The MDR was great. They will take your order for the next night's dinner each night and most of it was good. The melting cake was exceptional!

The Mongolian Wok is a landmine for anybody with any sort of allergy. The woks are swished clean between uses and the lids never are cleaned until the end.

There are several House phones are available near the buffets.

Edited by SadieN

Just recently off the Carnival Freedom. My daughter and I both eat a gluten free diet. In regards to the pizza, it will only take about 15 minutes for the gluten free version to be prepared for you. I think an earlier poster said something about having to order it the day before. That was not true on the freedom. For gluten free, we thought the pizza was pretty good. I would order it again.

Edited by pafam4

I was diagnosed with Celiac three years ago and Carnival is by far the best cruise line for anyone with this condition. Celebrity does mark their menus with "GF" (Gluten Free) but that's about it. The staff are clueless in the buffet and we were told to "just look at the menu" when I had a question about french fries and cross contamination. The fries were marked "GF" but who knows what else was cooked in the same fryer.

I've worked in food service and my mother was a dietician so I'm pretty familiar with what I can and can't have. The buffet is dangerous. If you aren't positive, don't eat it. However, I will say that the staff would always answer my question or get a chef to answer a question if they didn't know. I've had four Carnival cruises since being diagnosed and no problems. My celiac is severe and even a trace amount of gluten can ruin my day and/or night.

In regard to the other venues. Yes, they do have gluten free pizza, gluten free bread in the deli and gluten free buns at Guy's. Here's the rub. The crust on the pizza, the bread in the deli and the buns at Guy's are not very good. After a couple of bites of pizza I just ate the toppings and threw the crust away. At Guy's I just order a "Naked Guy" with no bun and fries cooked in their own fryer. The deli bread looked like the same stuff as they serve in the MDR so I never tried a sandwich.

Your daughter may like them so try them and she can make her own judgement.

However, overall Carnival does a great job but I do suggest bringing some GF snacks for your daughter, just in case there isn't something she likes.

Take care,

Mike