Excited! Airline flight change allows extra time in SJ, hotels? Fun? Things to do?

tpadul

:D OMG my Fiance and I are very excited.. we just found out this morning from United Airlines that they made a schedule change for the return flight we had booked home after our RCI Jewel of the Seas cruise ends on Saturday Nov 15th. We were due to fly out of San Juan at 4:30pm that day and head back to Chicago, WE booked the RCI after cruise excursion to tour old/new San Juan with drop off at the airport and found out today that United had to change the flight to 1:45pm,, Booo... that does not work well with the excursion as it was specficially for people that were not flying out till after 2:30pm.

So because United did not have any other non-stop flights direct to Chicago after the 1:45pm flight that day we opted to stay in San Juan that night and fly home the next day on Sunday Nov 16th. That return flight home doesn't leave till 4:00pm Sunday so we now have a full day and a half in San Juan!!!

So now we have plenty of time to research and look for an ideal hotel that might be near a lot of the sights and the decision is where to stay???

Suggestions anyone?? We have never been to San Juan and we happen to be arriving the day of the Cruise on Nov 8th so we don't have time that day to really see any of San Juan the day we arrive.

Should we stay closer to the airport or to the downtown area of New or Old San Juan?? We would like to be at a hotel that is close to maybe a really artsy section of town with shops and restaurants.. so we can just walk out of the hotel and explore on our own.

I'm an amatuer photographer and I love street scenes and love landscape/architecture kind of photography so spending more time walking around maybe in Old San Juan would be of interest to me?

We have no idea what to expect or where we should stay so the hunt starts now here and on Trip Advisor to find a hotel and suggestions from those that have already spent some time in San Juan as to what areas we might prefer to spend the night in.

We think this will be a wonderful way to wind down from the 7 night cruise before we head home.

Open to any and all suggestions about hotels and neighborhoods that would be nice to stay at. We want to be able to just walk out of the hotel and be able to walk around and actually see things without having to hop in a cab and go a long distance. Is this possible?

Congratulations, this is great for you. I have only stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan, that is actually in the city (it is right across from the pier that Carnival uses) Your ship docks across the bay but just a cab ride. Others have said that El Convento is a great place to stay.... it is an old Convent, converted to a hotel. It is right in the middle of the Old city and in a great location. San Juan is such a cool place to visit and explore... If you have time to view some pictures of San Juan, my Victory reviews have a bunch of pics of our explorations in San Juan. San Juan is a great place for pictures... especially the Forts, "Wow" the views and colors there are awesome. Have a great day exploring.

If you enjoy architecture and street photography, you should very much enjoy Old San Juan. There is some fabulous architecturally interesting buildings. An amateur photographer should have a great time. )

Congratulations, this is great for you. I have only stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan, that is actually in the city (it is right across from the pier that Carnival uses) Your ship docks across the bay but just a cab ride. Others have said that El Convento is a great place to stay.... it is an old Convent, converted to a hotel. It is right in the middle of the Old city and in a great location. San Juan is such a cool place to visit and explore... If you have time to view some pictures of San Juan, my Victory reviews have a bunch of pics of our explorations in San Juan. San Juan is a great place for pictures... especially the Forts, "Wow" the views and colors there are awesome. Have a great day exploring.

thanks so much for this info!!! I tried to look for room prices for the El Convento and unfortunately they are requiring a two night stay to book on a Saturday night :-( so I'm looking now for other places in that general vicinity. I will definitely look at your photos!!

If you enjoy architecture and street photography, you should very much enjoy Old San Juan. There is some fabulous architecturally interesting buildings. An amateur photographer should have a great time. )

Yes, I think I'm going to LOVE photographing in Old San Juan!!! I'm already taking a peek at the images of Old San Juan on Google and I'm getting excited about it!

:I'm an amatuer photographer and I love street scenes and love landscape/architecture kind of photography so spending more time walking around maybe in Old San Juan would be of interest to me?

We want to be able to just walk out of the hotel and be able to walk around and actually see things without having to hop in a cab and go a long distance. Is this possible?

Based on these comments I'd say you definitely want to stay in Old San Juan:) We've always stayed in the Condado area so I can't recommend any Old San Juan hotels, but there are many! We always stay in San Juan before and after our cruises and love it. Even though we haven't stayed in Old San Juan we've spent much time there (short taxi rides from Condado:D). Enjoy Puerto Rico!!!!!

Based on these comments I'd say you definitely want to stay in Old San Juan:) We've always stayed in the Condado area so I can't recommend any Old San Juan hotels, but there are many! We always stay in San Juan before and after our cruises and love it. Even though we haven't stayed in Old San Juan we've spent much time there (short taxi rides from Condado:D). Enjoy Puerto Rico!!!!!

Well after much research online last night we decided on the Hotel CasaBlanca in Old San Juan it is right on Calle Fortaleza where a lot of the nice restaurants are located and very close to a lot of the areas of interest. We watched some video's on Youtube of the rooms and the hotel and the surrounding area and fell in love with the decor of the hotel, the Morrocan decor and the overall feel of the place. It's within walking distance to so many things we are certain we will have a fabulous time!! Booking directly on the hotel's website had prices that were kind of high so we went to hotels.com and got a king bed deluxe room for $141 for the night compared to the $175 the hotel was charging.

100 days from today before we take off for the cruise and the whole experience we think is going to be wonderful. Still not sold yet on the actual cruising experience as we are new to that... so we shall see how we enjoy the ship itself compared to what we do in the ports of call.

We picked Hotel Casablanca as well for our cruise in Sept based on the recommendation of a friend of mine who stayed here a few months ago. She said it was a great location in Old San Juan and very charming/interesting.

As for things to do - we are planning on touring San Juan the day we arrive. And the next day we are renting a car and driving out to El Yunque to hike for a few hours before getting on the ship (not sailing out until 10PM).

You could probably do that the day you get off your ship, and tour Old San Juan in the morning you leave, if hiking and the rainforest interests you at all! The rental car was pretty inexpensive - only $43 incl tax for the day.

Have fun planning! :)

I saw on the RCI board, you asked about the San Juan tour and if it can drop you off...

Another idea- rent a car, go to the rainforest, come back to San Juan...

There's a Hertz drop off at the Sheraton- which is a bit of a hike to CasaBlanca, but you can drop stuff there, first, too. Can also park the car so that you can drive back to the airport. Depending on the timing, it could still be a single day rental.

If you go to the rainforest, I'd suggest getting a taxi to take you to the rental car place at the airport- they'll drop you off right there. And that will save a little time on the way.

We do that- last T-giving, we got the car, took the in-laws home, and then drove back to San Juan. We had free parking at El Convento, but I'm sure they will help find a place to park. Then drove to the airport the next morning.

Or just take the taxi back to the hotel, they will store your luggage.

It's easy to spend all day wandering Old San Juan. Too bad you can't get just one more day- Puerto Rico is really nice to tour.

Well after much research online last night we decided on the Hotel CasaBlanca in Old San Juan it is right on Calle Fortaleza where a lot of the nice restaurants are located and very close to a lot of the areas of interest. We watched some video's on Youtube of the rooms and the hotel and the surrounding area and fell in love with the decor of the hotel, the Morrocan decor and the overall feel of the place. It's within walking distance to so many things we are certain we will have a fabulous time!! Booking directly on the hotel's website had prices that were kind of high so we went to hotels.com and got a king bed deluxe room for $141 for the night compared to the $175 the hotel was charging.

100 days from today before we take off for the cruise and the whole experience we think is going to be wonderful. Still not sold yet on the actual cruising experience as we are new to that... so we shall see how we enjoy the ship itself compared to what we do in the ports of call.

You will love the City. Old San Juan is such a great place. You can just immerse yourself in the Architecture, the People, and the history. So many unique colors and lighting, and the views up by the forts are spectacular. Have fun on your cruise and with your camera.

Edited by Dirkgun