Braemar - Canaries

soobs

Just seen what looks like a good deal Canary lslands & Portugal to Harwich

, 3rd May 2014 on Braemar, we have cruised P & O twice to Caribbean and once TA to NY on Cunard.

Can anyone give us any advise, we are not experienced cruisers, we are looking for some sun, hot enough to sunbathe, good food.

What are the MDR arrangements? set sittings or freedom?

What is the likely age range -sorry I watched the TV program last year.

What sort of experience do you think I will have?

thank you

All depends....:-)

We have cruised on Breamar and the P and O ships you mention.

Braemar is a much smaller ship than the Azura and Ventura. They are around 120,000 tonne Braemar around 30,000 tonne. So if you liked the size of Azura then Breamar will feel small.

Fred Olsen have fixed MDR times 6.30 and 8.30 if I remember correctly. We like the food on Fred Olsen better but there is not much to choose.

They have an alternative restaurant on Breamar.

We went to Canaries on Boudicca in April three years ago and when we got there it was warm enough for us.

Dress Code adhered to on Fred Olsen.

Fred not as glitzy as P and O. More like a country house atmosphere.

Forget that programme it was about the Vicar not the majority of passengers.

You don't say how old you are but the average age will be 55 plus.

No show theatre on Braemar like there is on a Azura, all entertainment in lounges.

We went to Caribbean on Azura this January, next January on Breamar so we like both.

As for a good experience, there is no such thing as a bad cruise , maybe some better than others......have a good time what ever you choose.

thanks for the info - just rang and the lower price availability has gone, I was looking at a small ship because OH has just had a knee op so didn't want to much walking.

Going to see what offers come up for early June

thanks again for your help looks like I was too late this time

• 2 months later...
All depends....:-)

We have cruised on Breamar and the P and O ships you mention.

Braemar is a much smaller ship than the Azura and Ventura. They are around 120,000 tonne Braemar around 30,000 tonne. So if you liked the size of Azura then Breamar will feel small.

Fred Olsen have fixed MDR times 6.30 and 8.30 if I remember correctly. We like the food on Fred Olsen better but there is not much to choose.

They have an alternative restaurant on Breamar.

We went to Canaries on Boudicca in April three years ago and when we got there it was warm enough for us.

Dress Code adhered to on Fred Olsen.

Fred not as glitzy as P and O. More like a country house atmosphere.

Forget that programme it was about the Vicar not the majority of passengers.

You don't say how old you are but the average age will be 55 plus.

No show theatre on Braemar like there is on a Azura, all entertainment in lounges.

We went to Caribbean on Azura this January, next January on Breamar so we like both.

As for a good experience, there is no such thing as a bad cruise , maybe some better than others......have a good time what ever you choose.

What is the alternative restaurant on Braemar, apart from the buffet restaurant?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the reference was to the Grampian Restaurant, which is higher up in the ship and smaller than the MDR (whatever that is called).

We have not travelled on Braemar, but we are booked on it (and into the Grampian) for Nov-Dec this year. You are allocated one of the restaurants as a main dining venue on a set sitting basis with Fred (no freedom option), so you cannot just choose to dine somewhere else, (eg the Grampian), sometime, except the self service, which is the only alternative to your dining allocation. The Grampian seems to have a reputation of being a quieter venue - probably because of size as much as anything else, but we hope the views will be better as well - fingers crossed on that.

I suspect you are unlikely to be allocated the Grampian on an anchor booking, but others may be able to fill you in on that more accurately.