Fall colors

Jiffymom

Ok I know it's a real crap shoot but we want to spend three days prior or after cruise. Take a road trip to Vermont and New Hampshire. I figure I will see plenty of the coast on our cruise

So do you recommend a road trip and cruise that starts in Boston on October 11 or cruise that starts Oct 5. We can take our road trip pre or post cruise

I'd do the Brilliance on Oct 12 and spend a few days before the cruise doing Vermont and New Hampshire. The exact timing of the best fall colors is unpredictable, but usually they are good the Columbus Day week. The colors tend to change a little later right along the coast, so if you do inland first, you could continue to see fall colors. I would want to do a cruise that stops at Bar Harbor even though there is a chance the port would be skipped due to weather.

• 1 month later...

The fall color here in the White Mountains usually is at "peak" just around Oct. 12th. I like the last week in September before the traffic becomes unbearable. I work for the US Forest Service and love it here at all times but during foliage it is very hard to get around with awful traffic.

We are arriving in Boston, obtaining a rental car and driving north with the goal of arriving in Quebec City for our cruise. We have booked the Homewood Suites in Andover, Ma for the first night. It is about 45 minutes out of Boston and convienent to the main highway (I93) which will take you north into the White Mountains. From there you can head to Vermont.

We are arriving in Boston, obtaining a rental car and driving north with the goal of arriving in Quebec City for our cruise. We have booked the Homewood Suites in Andover, Ma for the first night. It is about 45 minutes out of Boston and convienent to the main highway (I93) which will take you north into the White Mountains. From there you can head to Vermont.

Just be aware of the day/time you will be driving to Andover. You could hit rush hour traffic and that could double your travel time

Just be aware of the day/time you will be driving to Andover. You could hit rush hour traffic and that could double your travel time

Yes I am aware of timing. We arrive around noon. DH went to school in Boston and grew up in Salem, NH.