New York (Manhattan) Hotel Pre-cruise

roothy123

Park/fly would work. Let me see if I am understanding your possible scenario correctly. Is your friend also cruising with you?

1) you and your parents drive from CT to LGA

2) Friend flies to LGA

3). You book 2 rooms at the Fairfield and hope for an overnight parking spot

4) Group takes cab/car service in and out of Manhattan for the afternoon/evening

5) Group drives to LGA terminal with luggage. One person parks car at prereserved offsite parking location and takes shuttle back to LGA. Take cab to Manhattan cruise terminal

IMO you need advice from our NY posters about the LGA offsite parking.

However, do your math. You're on a 5 day cruise. Parking at LGA would run about $20/day. So that's at least $100 (you could be charged more if you go over a bit) plus at least $100 round trip to the port by taxi. Port parking is $200. It's a wash, so why aren't you parking at the port? IMO it makes no sense to leave your car at LGA.

Ugh, so many decisions lol I have cruised forever and this port just seems so complicated lol Anyway, I went ahead and held the cruise package at the HGI NJ as well, $269 per room. The only additional cost will be getting into the city. I guess I also have to swing by and pick up my friend at LGA. I got some off site parking prices, so i will add it up each way and see what I should do. I'll have to see how we are getting into the city that day, I am also hoping my parents opt out of that ;-)

Thanks for all the info.

Ugh, so many decisions lol I have cruised forever and this port just seems so complicated lol Anyway, I went ahead and held the cruise package at the HGI NJ as well, $269 per room. The only additional cost will be getting into the city. I guess I also have to swing by and pick up my friend at LGA. I got some off site parking prices, so i will add it up each way and see what I should do. I'll have to see how we are getting into the city that day, I am also hoping my parents opt out of that ;-)

Thanks for all the info.

That's crazy too. Two regular rooms at the Hilton with a Hilton Honors discount (easy to join) or a senior discount are $125 + $18.77 tax for a total of $288. Parking at the pier is still $200. That's cheaper than the $538 you have reserved. Is there a reason you are so reluctant to park at the port? It will be so much easier for everyone in your group and much easier for returning to CT at the end.

There is also hourly NY bus service - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1157.pdf

That's crazy too. Two regular rooms at the Hilton with a Hilton Honors discount (easy to join) or a senior discount are $125 + $18.77 tax for a total of $288. Parking at the pier is still $200. That's cheaper than the $538 you have reserved. Is there a reason you are so reluctant to park at the port? It will be so much easier for everyone in your group and much easier for returning to CT at the end.

There is also hourly NY bus service - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1157.pdf

I still need the pre night parking. I guess I have too much to think about right now to absorb this trip, will look later, but appreciate your help :)

I still need the pre night parking. I guess I have too much to think about right now to absorb this trip, will look later, but appreciate your help :)

Parking is free at the Hilton Gardens if you are a registered guest occupying a room. The package costs extra because they figure in the cost of the round trip port transportation and extra parking days. The port transportation has a real cost in terms of time, gas, tolls, and car wear and tear. The extra parking nights are just profit to a hotel that has lots of excess parking, which the Hilton apparently has. I've seen the hotel from the NJ Turnpike and it is in a relatively undeveloped area of the Meadowlands.

It appears that LGA is very tight on parking. Area hotels have small lots so they don't have the capacity to warehouse extra cars while folks are traveling.

It appears that LGA is very tight on parking.

That is an understament Carol and you rarely do that.

Was just past LGA last night on the way to a friend in Astoria and with Terminal B parking stucture (P2) the place is packed just from looking from the Grand Central Parkway.

P5 shows 108% the others 99%.

http://laguardiaairport.com/getting-to-from/parking/

Right now Lots P4, P5 & P6 are full. Please use lot P10 valet parking. Free shuttle service is available, allow extra travel time.

That is an understament Carol and you rarely do that.

Was just past LGA last night on the way to a friend in Astoria and with Terminal B parking stucture (P2) the place is packed just from looking from the Grand Central Parkway.

P5 shows 108% the others 99%.

http://laguardiaairport.com/getting-to-from/parking/

Right now Lots P4, P5 & P6 are full. Please use lot P10 valet parking. Free shuttle service is available, allow extra travel time.

Thanks for confirming my analysis. I'm definitely not an LGA expert! What I do know is that many hotel properties at EWR appear to have an excess amount of parking, which is why there are so many park/sleep options as well as hotels offering just a park option. On the north side of the airport where the original terminal used to be there is a lot of less desirable land sandwiched between the railroad yards and I78 and routes 1 & 9. The hotels in that area have very spacious parking lots.

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware of times to be picked up at ship for return if you are staying in NJ. One we looked at picked you up at the ship 10:45 a.m. That puts on the road maybe at 11:30. Much too late when driver has to work the next day. We'll just bite the bullet, stay a couple hours out, get up early and park at the port. I find getting off the ship the most grueling (just because trip is over). We just want to hit the road and sleep in our own beds that night.