Southampton transfers

lnsue

All transfers for my Oct30 cruise are taken. Does anyone know how to get from Heathrow to Southampton? I know there is a train, but how do I find out the schedule and do I have to take a taxi to train and from train to ship? Prices? Please help. I need details. Thanks. lnsue

All transfers for my Oct30 cruise are taken. Does anyone know how to get from Heathrow to Southampton? I know there is a train, but how do I find out the schedule and do I have to take a taxi to train and from train to ship? Prices? Please help. I need details. Thanks. lnsue

The easiest is the National Express coach from the Heathrow Central Bus Station to Southampton Coach Station (don't choose cruise terminal as that's only for Fred Olson cruises)

The train option involves taking the Railair bus to either Reading or Woking and grabbing the train to Southampton Central.

From either Southampton Coach Station or Southampton Central station, it's a short taxi ride (or even walk) to the cruise terminals.

Two public transport options:

By coach

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

This is the cheapest option, about £18 pp one-way, direct service (no changes).

Pre-booking is pretty essential. You need to know your airport terminal in order to book, the coaches start at Heathrow airport's central bus station (a short well-signed walk from Ts1/2/3) & pick up at T5 and T4 on their way to Southampton.

Frequency is quite limited, allow yourselves at least 90 minutes from scheduled touchdown to coach departure. If your flight is delayed or you're delayed at the airport you can re-book to the next available coach for a £5 admin fee - this concession only for airport departures.

Journey time is about 2 hours.

Your destination is Southampton coach station - ignore the cruise terminal option, which is only for Fred Olsen cruises and not suitable for your ship.

Check excess luggage terms, though usually they're only loosely applied & excess charges are quite trivial.

By train

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Slightly awkward because there's no train service to Southampton from Heathrow. Instead your train fare of about £30-£40 pp includes a frequent suuttlebus to a mainline rail station, usually Woking but sometimes Reading, and then a frequent usually-direct train from there to Southampton central station. Although train journeys are usually much quicker than coach journeys the hop by shuttlebus means the overall time is about 2 hours, same as the coach. So more expensive, less convenient, similar journey time. No luggage restrictions that would concern you.

No seniors' discounts, & no promotional offers on airport routes by coach or train.

Taxi ranks at both Southampton coach station & central rail station, it's a £5 to £10 taxi hop to any cruise terminal.

More info at

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_southampton.htm

But ship's transfers for 30th October already fully-booked?

Are you sure?

JB :)

National express is hard to beat. Nice bus store your luggage underneath and the price is great.

Totally agree. Nice comfortable ride, cheap and you get to see a 'little' of the English countryside too.