Water Temp

cos24

Just wondering what the water temp currently is at Richardson beach park in Hilo and Two Step and Kahalu'u Beach in Kona? Will be there next week - Do I need to pack a wetsuit? Are these snorkling areas colder than the open beaches?

Any info on water temp in Kapalua Beach in Maui would be appreciated also...

Just wondering what the water temp currently is at Richardson beach park in Hilo and Two Step and Kahalu'u Beach in Kona? Will be there next week - Do I need to pack a wetsuit? Are these snorkling areas colder than the open beaches?

Any info on water temp in Kapalua Beach in Maui would be appreciated also...

The Hawaii Weather Today is the best site I've used for all types of Hawaii weather info & it currently shows water temperatures of 80° and 81°. I've never used a wetsuit for snorkeling in Hawaii but do wear a thin suit when scuba diving.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/dive-and-snorkel/

September – The weather continues to be very warm, the height of summer here in the tropics. Some of the highest temperature readings of the season occur in this month. Tropical Storms and Hurricanes rarely enter Hawaiian waters, but this is the month when they come the closest and are more apt to affect the weather on Maui. Normally they stay far away, but when they get close enough to the island, they make the residents uncomfortable with the muggy atmosphere they produce. Hurricane Iniki entered into the adjacent waters, and impacted the island of Kauai in September of 1992. Tradewinds blow on the average 83% of the time. Sea water temperature averages about 80 degrees F.

September averages for different locations on Maui Lahaina 89-70 F. (31.7C-21.1C) .34" of precipitation Hana 84-70 F. (28.9C-21.1C) 5.38" of precipitation Kahului 88-70 F. (31.1C-21.1C) .35" of precipitation

In over 30 years of spending much time in Hawaii, mostly on the Big Island, we've only seen anyone snorkel in a wetsuit one time. That happened to be at Kahalu'u beach, a very elderly women pushed in a wheelchair by her grandsons (at least that was our assumption) right to the edge of the water. They gently helped her lower herself onto an inflatable raft and she kicked off and paddled around the bay with her snorkel for about half an hour. They then helped her back into her chair and wheeled her away!

The point is, with the possible exception of extended night or deep water dives, no, you don't need a wet suit, but your question reminded me of this happy story of what "Aloha" really means.

I just returned from Kona. Water in all the snorkeling areas was bathtub warm. Air temperature was very warm (got to 90 F some days, unusual). The Hawaiian ocean waters are competely different than California's. I don't think you need wetsuit (the turtles will laugh at you) but I would recommend a rash shirt or tee-shirt to keep sun off your back while snorkeling and reduce amount of sunblock. I was appalled by the amount of sunblock people applied immediately before going into water. Disturbing to watch tourists literally pour a whole bottle over themselves and then jump in ocean. To be effective it must be put on half hour before going in water and rubbed in (especially the waterproof versions). Slathering it on just before entering ocean simply creates a disgusting sun block film on water and who knows what it does to coral.

The Hawaiian sun is not to be ignored even while in the water and it is a shame to be put out of commission with a bad sunburn. A rash shirt will also protect in case you get bumped up against rocks or lava.

The best snorkling is early morning before wind brings up waves. The water will be the clearest then. Pay attention to when the tide changes as incoming tide will also make surge-y conditions. The sites you've mentioned are all good for snorkeling as they have protective off-shore reefs. Always try to park under shade so your car does not become a sauna and take everything with you. Don't stand on coral, bother turtles or feed fish. Just enjoy the American paradise!

Edited by dronfield